KHS Team ST 2002 Hardtail

Rohan Ross   Weekend Warrior [Nov 01, 2002]
Strength:

Strength, compliance over rocks bumpy ground, looks, 25 year warranty

None that I have found so far

After riding aluminium Giant frames (dually and hardtail), it was time to see if the reputation of steel would measure up. I picked up the KHS Team steel frame at a fantastic price and set it up with all the gear off my old bike. Total weight came to about 26lbs - not too heavy for a 210lb Clydesdale. Tried the new rig on a ride I have done plenty of times before. Up until I got the Team ST frame, I could never clear one particular hill on this ride and had to walk the steepest pitches. Not any more... the KHS gives fantastic rear wheel grip and has a really comfortable, springy feeling. I went right over the top of a hill that had previously left me gasping for breath. It's definitely faster than my old aluminium bikes and it doesn't crunch my bones over rough ground. If you get a chance to try a steel frame on the trail, you'll definitely feel the difference. There is something about steel that really satisfies. Titanium would probably be the ultimate but at this price, you can't beat the KHS product for performance and value.

Steel is the real deal!

Similar Products Used: Giant NRS 1, Giant Team Hardtail
Aaron   Weekend Warrior [Mar 25, 2005]
Strength:

Nice compliant frame, reasonably light (4.5lbs) for a 19" disc compatible steel frame, True Temper OX Ultra tubing, Good handling on singletrack

A little quick steering with 80mm fork, went with 100mm fork and its much better

This is a rebranded KHS frame from Universal Cycles in Portland. It's all black and labeled as a Phobia. Make no mistake though, it is the top of the line KHS steel frame (distinctive down tube is the dead giveaway). I love the way the frame rides, especially with the 100mm fork (makes climbing a bit harder, but the descents are great). You could spend a lot more to get as good of a riding frame from the small manufacturers, but for the budget minded, this thing rocks. The Pilot SL is surprising, it actually works pretty good considering it is really a recreational fork (see my review on it). Bottom line...great riding steel frame at a low price!

Similar Products Used: 1998 Bontrager Privateer, 1996 Trek 970
Reid Curry   Racer [May 27, 2002]
Strength:

Light!!! Only 22 lbs. for a complete steel softail is amazing. (weighs less than my hardtail.) Sweet components. Climbs well, very stiff, accelerates well, extremely smooth ride.

FSA headset seems a little out of place compared to all of the other high end components.

This bike is sweet!!!I am a very competetive XC racer and have been having excelent results on this bike. For years i rode an aluminum hardtail and my KHS team softail will kick its ass anyday. The ride quality is excellent and extremely smooth, (proof that steel bikes and softails are not dead). My bike weighs 22lbs. and climbs great. The softail suspension leaves me feeling fresh after a ride/race and never bobs. The component speck is perfect. The rock shox SID Race is the nicest fork i have ever used. The truvative cranks are stiff and the XTR components have never let me down. Also, i love the Easton stem, seatpost, and bar. Overall, the bottom line is that this bike is fast, responsive, and rides like a dream. Racers will win on it, and weekend warriors will have fun on it. did i mention the value?