KHS Alite 2002 Hardtail

KHS Alite 2002 Hardtail

[Dec 20, 2010]
g-hed

Strength:

Great light weight frame.

Some fairly cheap parts (power tool hubs etc)

This bike is very great value for money. The frame is very light weight and is great for XC race one you replace the cheapo parts for more high quality ones. It gives a very good ride and I find it great for cross country racing. All round a great entry to mid level bike.

[Jul 19, 2009]
Trentmeyers

Strength:

Good frame, brakes, good handling and speed.

truaiv cranks (it fell off, but i think that was my bad). Not a fan of the shimano xc derailleur or the rock shox dart two's.

Pretty good bike for the price. I even race with it and it does me well. going to upgrade it and make it even better.

khs alite 3000
rocky mountain element 30

[Jun 01, 2003]
Walter

Strength:

Great mid-level bike with upward upgradablity. No generic parts! Very solid setup.

Heavy wheelset and cranks. Wide bars, seemed hard to steer in certain quick situations.

Wonderful for trail riding and some technicals. With each personal upgrade, felt great improvements on the trail. I love this bike!

Raleigh M50, Ironhorse Warrior

[Jul 18, 2002]
Eddie

Strength:

Strong Frame, Handles well, relitivly light, good components.

front fork. No bashring. (very minor)

This bike is great for the money, beefy enough to handle 4-5 foot drops. Front forks not the greatest but very good for the money. This is an all-around great bike for the beginner-intermediate freeride and can handle trails.

[Jan 08, 2002]
Dutch

Strength:

The frames light weight is great - the front end is that light that the backend feels heavy! Also the frame has plenty of flex in it, which while it lasts (i.e., doesn't warp or break), is great.
I am impressed with the Sun Rims - they appear to be a great wheel. They hold my slicks well, and the whole bike seems to spin nicely.

Components: it really depends upon your budget... for the price a reasonable purchase, but those who have ridden better will probably look at up-grades.
The seat - I didn't find it very comfortable hense the swap.

I know I shouldn't compare it with a FSR but already I am certain I'll get a FSR next time around.
The 'stock' bike would appear to be a good investment frame-wise, but upgrades would generally be in order if you were thinking of anything beyond city riding. I'd imagine that the bike I ride now is a good compromise vs. the Alite 4000.
I am extremely happy with the machine I now ride, but that is probably due to the amount of changes I have had done to it.
If you are in the Melbourne area I recommend seeing the Melbourne Bike Centre team on High St - they have been very helpful pre and post purchase.

[Sep 19, 2002]
David

Strength:

Good, solid frame.
Red color is great.
Gears & brakes are very good.
I find it quite light for a MTB.

Front forks (Judy TT) seem a bit soft.
Hand grips are too hard.

This is a fantastic bike.
If I was to take up XC-MTB racing I would definitely use it.
THe comments about the forks and hand grips are only minor.
Highly recommended !

None.

[Mar 20, 2003]
Joseph
Downhiller

Strength:

The frame isw a 21" and is very solid. The backm tire is great if you are under 220 lbs.

For me im between 230 and 250 lbs so i got the guy at petries to build me a back rim so i can still give it a bit of a beating. The Judy TT Rock Shox are ok but dont expect them not to bottom out if you hit hard. The pedals.

Overall it is a great bike if you want to put say $400 more when buying it to get a couple upgrades like the pedals, rear rim, shocks. Put it this way over everything else you get more than what you pay for in this bike.

Specialized Wahoo

[Nov 14, 2003]
Ashley jackson

Strength:

The frame is light as hell, strong too. It is cheap but is still made from reynolds 7005 Al and has disc mounts. I only bought the frame though.

The decals look cheap and aren't lined up properly. No performance problems.

The only original thing on my bike is the frame itself. It is good and I'm overly happy with it. If you just want a bike to bum around off road on this is a good one.

Various Giants; Boulder SE, XtC NRS 2

[Jul 30, 2002]
Chad

Strength:

Great price, great value, aluminum frame, descent parts spec for the money

Tire compound is too hard. Front shock is cheap. pedals are plastic

The bike handles very well and is really stiff. When I got it I changed the tires which made a huge difference. However, the bike had a low end fork which also needed to be changed. This would of been a great bike for just going back and forth to school, but I wanted to ride on the weekends at the trails as well. I put clipless pedals on it and it is now a great all around bike. The frame is good quality and I will continue to upgrade it as needed. I would recomend this bike to anyone looking of a great low priced bike that won't leave you stuck out on the trail.

Trek's Kleins, K2's and Fishers

[Aug 12, 2002]
Noah Bronstein

Strength:

cheap! good frame. withstands some abuse.

powertools parts are worthless. brakes have a ton of flex. fork isn't very good. doesn't steer too well in rocky techinical situations due to flexy fork.

This bike provides a great value if you get it on sale like i did. However, i managed to taco the front wheel, break the handlebars, snap the rear derailer in a bad place, and put a dent in the frame (unfriendly lava-rock). The bike climbs very well for its cost, but its a little longer than is useful on tight, technical sections. The stock tires wore out really fast, but they worked ok before that. Overall, this bike is a great entry level bike for those without padded wallets, but you will end up breaking or replacing the parts.

custom built Access frame w/ SID shock and Xt/avid parts with Rhyno lites. Titanium mongoose w/ Z1MCR and xt parts.