Giant Yukon 2002 Hardtail

Giant Yukon 2002 Hardtail

[Apr 27, 2015]
Chris Marden

Strength:

Pretty tough frame, very light weight.

Awkward weight distribution, dents and chips easily.

I bought this bike piece by piece for a decent value. I traded the forks for Rock Shox darts and bought the frame, seat, and wheels for $45. It's a fun ride but it needs the right parts which means more money to be spent.

[Jul 15, 2003]
Rob

Strength:

Solid frame and components

Original handle bar grips are loose

For the price I paid, this bike is definately great! With the money that I saved by not going for a Trek 4300, I am able to upgrade parts to make my bike more, well, me. Other than the fact that the grips on the handle bars slide down, my kickstand started rubbing against my rear tire, and my seat became loose(Nose of the seat started moving up & down) after I took a spill, no real complaints because all of my problems were fixed fairly easily(Seat adjustment was hidden by the rear reflector, solved the kickstand by pulling it away from the rear tire enough so it wouldn't rub any more, and puffing some air with the air compressor through the hole on the end of the grips so I can move the grips up further.) Now that I have a weekend offroading bike, I plan on getting a street bike sometime...

[Jun 25, 2003]
Dave

Strength:

Very Lightweight
Fast, accurate shifting
Comfortable
Powers up them thar hills...

none so far

Searched and researched many weeks, tried the Wahoo and Trek 4500 and found the 2002 Yukon to be the lightest of them all, better shifting parts and overall sleekness. I owned a 1996 Yukon for many years and have stayed with a trusted brand and not at all disappointed. Quite impressed with the strides in modernization. Go Giant....

Trek 4500
Fisher Wahoo
1996 Yukon

[Jun 15, 2003]
Peekaboo

Strength:

Good strong frame , comfortable seat , responsive

Heavy fork and rims , brandless hubs , cheap shifters

The Yukon I bought comes with parts different from the USA. It is a Taiwan version with SR Suntour 60mm fork and Suntour crank set. No complaints for the fork yet as I have not really abused it yet. But the hub and rim set is a little disappointing. I find it too heavy.
As I am new to this biking, I do not intent to spend too much for a starter bike and so far, this bike seems to be able to guide me into the sport slowly but surely. Quite responsive on different kinds of terrains and generally light for this price range. The impressive part of the whole bike is the body frame. Can easily upgrade the componants to a better bike to suit your requirement.
However, the stock component are a little weaker compare to some other brands of the same price range.

I will definately recommend this bike to new comers as an entry level bike.

Tested Scott Yecora, Giant Rincon

[Jun 08, 2003]
hert

Strength:

light, nice shifters, nice shocks, and good tires

not much

great value

cheap kmart bikes

[Jul 04, 2002]
david rome

Strength:

the fork,frame,price

the gears in general are playing up quite a bit

great bike for price, wont find any thnig to match it but all it comes down to is if you have the money and if your a serious mountain biker. If you are a beginner and want it fro a cruising bike than buy it, but if you think your going to be doing any upgrading and doing experienced riding than think about getting a more expensive bike. It works out much cheaper in the long run.

more expensive konas and treks

[Dec 10, 2001]
matt white

Strength:

the shock, good quality, solid front shock, though a little longer travel would be good. the frame is light and well put together, but most frames come from four factories in taiwan, so there shouldn't be much variation in frame quality

acera componentry, this bike should have alivio throughout, not just the rear derailler, including the hubs.

this bike is good value for the money, but the compnentry suffers as a result of having such a good fork. i swapped it for an australian brand bike which gives a more rounded component/fork combination. giant have relied too much on their name, but if they keep this up they'll lose that name, as it was based on the fact that giant bikes are good value for money.

Apollo 1point3

[Oct 13, 2003]
Beejay

Strength:

Durability, reliability

None to my inexperienced eye

I bought it as a way to get into XC riding, and it has served well. No complaints about components, it has been a super reliable rig. Just rode in the MONT 24 and it got me comforatbly through the laps that I managed to do. A great way to start out dirt riding for a relatively small outlay.

First real bike

[Feb 26, 2002]
Steve frank

Strength:

As a beginner I think its, light,fast, and comfortable.

Could have more travel,flipped over handlbars twice, but thats probally my fault.

Im new to the sport, my last one was from sports authority, and I totaled it my second time out...well not totaled but its pretty much useless.
So I desided to spend another 200 and get something that fits me and wont break easily. As a new rider I think its perfect. You appereciate the comfort and speed, im sure a more expeirenced rider would find problems. But for now I cant ask for anything more for the price.

Toy store bikes

[Jan 20, 2002]
Pieter

Strength:

Large frame

Original suntour cranks bent and died, replaced with Shimano Alivio cranks, much betta

Fronts shocks constantly bottom out, single side elastin. Next time am getting Z4's oil baths as I am a heavy guy...

Spend a bit more and get a lot more. Shimano deore everything and Marzoochi oil bath shocks

Norco Charger (much better bike for the money $AUD 1000-1500