Giant SE 1 2002 Hardtail

Giant SE 1 2002 Hardtail

[Mar 14, 2002]
Jaimie Douglas

Strength:

a very quick acclerating bike, handles very well in the single track. tubeless wheels give you more guts. sid SL fork feels great and the lock out rules.

i really like the way this bike rides. its very stiff and accelerates very quick and i dont think i have ever been this impressed by a bike ever. tubeless wheels are great, always good traction. interms of value this bike rocks, compared to any other bike.

rockymountain vertex scandium

[Apr 24, 2003]
Nathan Dicken

Strength:

Lightweight, so fast...

Tubeless tires kept going flat but fixed with Stan's (notubes.com) sealant - so I guess it's not much of a weakness.

Very nice ride - looking forward to racing it this season. This bike rides like a world-class racer - lightweight and just accellerates and climbs like a mountain goat. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good last-year's race bike.

Last bike I rode/raced was a custom Nevil Cycles back in '97

[Aug 07, 2002]
Rob

Strength:

Light weight.
Nice geometry and handling

Alot of lateral flex in the bottom bracket area.

This was a replacement frame for my 2000 SE1 frame. Because Giant had no replacement frames left in the country, it had to be built especially in Taiwan. IT took seven weeks (would have been longer if I didn't nag Giant) to have a bike again. THis is far to long, especially when I've paid so much for it, and not thrashed it at all. My original frame cracked after a years riding (about 200 hours) on the drive side bottom bracket weld due to the exessive lateral flex in the area. Facing the side of the bike, press your foot against the pedal. See how much the bottom bracket area flexes. That is why it breaks.
Anyway, enough bagging out Giant. THe frame does make a nice race bike. It is a very nice climber and sprinter. I do like the colours.
However, due to Giants poor customer service, this will be my last Giant. I will never reccomend a Giant bike again either. Yes, I do like the frames handling and ride quality, but I consider customer service to be of higher quality than what I experienced.
My next bike will be a Trek or a Norco hardtail. I've heard (especially with Trek) their customer service is up to scratch. My dealings with Giant may be a once off, but I won't be forgetting it next time I'm shopping for a new ride.

[Jan 20, 2003]
bob

Strength:

light frame + everything else

- sids are crap and frame a little weak

This bike is a great XC bike, fast on the uphill and strong on the downhill. best bike i have ridden. sids were not up to scratch so i replaced then with DUKE race which was well worth it. i havent owned it long and have allready dented it which is annoying.. the frame seems a little weak.

giant HT team -- giant se-2

[May 14, 2002]
Jonathan Keats

Strength:

Very good handling bike, comes with crossmax wheels and SID SL

LX shifter pods and fr dearailleur

This bike handles very well and is a very respectable climber. If you've always wanted a good set of wheels, by far the best upgrade you can buy, then you have to check this bike out for no other reason than the cost. If your looking for a quality out of the box race bike, look no further.

Giant XTC LE, Santa Cruz Chameleon, Specialized S-Works

[May 31, 2002]
Erich R

Strength:

Light frame, Tubeless CrossMax Rims, XTR Shifters & Rear Drailleur, Race Face Crankset

Rock Shox SID SL Fork - Not for anyone over 180lbs.

This is a fantastic bike. It climbs like nothing else I have ridden. The first ride or two I thought something was wrong (gearing, etc.) because of the extra effort it took me to muscle my way up hills. But I soon figured out that it was because there was no slipping or traction loss at all. This thing just digs in and climbs, no breaking the rear tire loose here. On the descents this thing is just freaky fast. In fact, the first few rides it wanted to go faster than I could keep up with. Now that I have a couple rides in, I have a much better feel for it. I absolutely love this bike. Well worth the $$.

Marin Bear Valley SE, Gary Fisher Supercaliber

[Jun 26, 2002]
Dave

Strength:

Incredibly spec'd for a stock bike (Crossmax wheels, SID SL, etc.), excellent climbing as well as descending bike.

Nothing at all!

This is by far the best hardtail I've ever ridden -- I might even go so far as to say it's the best bike (hardtail or full-suspension) I've ever ridden! While I enjoyed my previous bike (Homegrown Pro), this bike just handles better. The stock Crossmax wheels add a whole new element of enjoyment to riding; lower pressure equals more traction and a slightly suspended feeling on an aluminum hardtail. If you can find this bike for anything under retail ($2,000), I'd highly recommend this bike.

Cannondale F700, Giant XTC-DS1, Schwinn Homegrown Pro