Giant Rincon 2002 Hardtail

Giant Rincon 2002 Hardtail

[Mar 25, 2009]
rinconrider213
Downhiller

Strength:

I bought this bike with all the upgrades so it was great. Great fork, great for jumping now, upgraded gears, new tires, if you get a good upgrade its great for jumping. Just not like beasty jumps.

Having some trouble holding the tire pressure

If you get it upgraded, it will be great for the road, downhilling, jumping, all that good stuff. If you are into jumping and downhilling you should get an upgraded fork and keep it a hard tail. Otherwise its a great bike!!!

Kona Stuff 2-4

[Jul 04, 2003]
Chris Braatz

Strength:

Good durablility. I ride off-road often from just gravel roads to steep ups/downs, roots, logs, rocks, etc. It has last me 2 years and I still have almost no problems with it. Great bike, especially if you are on a budget or a beginner. Very light.

The shifters were kind of weak, especially when in hi-gear/hi-gear or low-gear/low-gear. Also, the shock absorbers aren't ajustable, which really ticked me off. The cup-holder cage that came with mine was a piece of crap. I was riding around the block and it got caught in my pants; broke right off. I had to replace it within 3 weeks

Great bang for the buck. I would recommend this bike to anyone who is on a budget and/or a beginning mountain bike.

Trek 4900, Trek 4300, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Stumpjumper, Schwinn

[Jul 06, 2002]
John estrada

Strength:

light frame, reasonable price, climbs well, descends well, does what it is supposed to do.

components not race worthy, cant be used for jumping

The Rincon is a well rounded bike that if you want to get into mnt. biking it will serve you well. You will not win any races but if you just want to mess around with friends this will get you there for a cheap price tag.

[Jan 30, 2002]
Mike Murphy

Strength:

The price is great for the light and durable frame.

The one-peice stem has slipped on me during crashes no matter how tight I crank it, the lower-end components (deraillers, gaskets, brakes) dont react well to mud, bottom bracket went, Poor handgrips. Bearings in petal quit as well.

As I said, this is my first mountain bike. It has been an excellent starter bike. Over time, it has begun to fall apart, but I have a lot of hard miles on it. I would recommend it to any one looking for a mt. bike to try the sport, but as a more experienced rider, I am now looking to upgrade. All said and done --excellent value, but not a performance bike--

This was my first mountain bike.

[Jan 26, 2002]
Harry Smith
Downhiller

Strength:

Great suspension, head set, gears are reliable, very light.

Derailler can break easy if landed on, seat is a bit hard.

Great bike, can handle rough trails and is also great for regular rides, smooth, light and a pleasure to ride.

Giant Boulder SE

[Nov 11, 2002]
David

Strength:

Great value, comfortable to ride and can handle a range of conditions.

The rear derailleur is a bit dodgy.

I love this bike. It's light and handles well. I mainly used it for road riding (in the mountains) and some rough dirt roads. It was very comfortable and easy to handle. My only complaint is the rear derailleur, but for a bike at this price you can't expect all the components to work perfectly.

GIANT Boulder

[Oct 31, 2003]
Martin Leon

Strength:

Great Value, even when I've paid a little bit more than usual, but that's because I bought it in Mexico. I've spent a lot of time riding it, and it never cause me any trouble. It's great for entry level riders. Good traction and stays on the ground when going down hill. Components are good for its price. The suspension feels great when it's as hard as possible. Few things to complain about it.

Obviously it'll be better with at least 8 speed, but enough for the price. The saddle it's too quilted. It came with plastic peddals, but again, PRICE!!!. The handle bar and post are a little bit cheap.

GREAT BIKE FOR THE PRICE! My last bike was a '98 Trek 7000zx, and I don't miss it, except for the 8 speed transmision, but I'm about to upgrade it for about 150 bucks, so after 2 years of using it, I think it worth it. I hardly recommend it for Entry Level/Week End riders. But one thing: If you can, get the '03 rincon, IT'S EVEN BETTER!

GT All Terra, Java Decaf, '98 Trek 7000zx

[Nov 17, 2001]
Dale

Strength:

frame,forks,rear derailer

tyres (they are shonky)

great bike for the money strong realiable and really good light frame, if something breaks i'll just replace it with something better because the frame is great, i like the forks they are nice and plush and also the gear change is really nice.

[Jan 29, 2004]
Matt

Strength:

This bike is light and has a tough frame. Solid V-brakes and shifts smooooooooth. Comfortable seat. Good components for the price.

Stock pedals are crap resin.......thats about it.

Like Dave from Denver said this is a great all around bike, since they improved the deraileur from 2002 this thing shifts like a dream and doesn't adjustment very often. I have over 300 hundred miles on this bike and have had ZERO problems. The only thing I have changed are the pedals to SPD clipless and I'm contemplating upgrading to Avid disc brakes.

This bike also rides like a dream, it handles well off road as well as on road, it has upgradability (e.g. v-brakes to disc brakes). I'm not real hard on the bike likes some people are (just because of my skill level) but it has taken everything I' dished out including some drops and jumps with no rim truing needed.

Bottom line if you're on a budget looking for a solid bike with good components that will take punishment this is the bike to buy

DON'T FORGET TO SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE DEALER!!!!!!!

[Mar 20, 2003]
Jesse Waldrop

Strength:

A solid, beginner bike.

Don't expect to get much out of this bike beyond some minor trail riding.

This is an updated review from a previous one I had done below.
So far this bike has been nothing but great. It has basically become a commuter bike of sorts, (after spending about four or five months on the trails). I currently use my newly purchased '03 Iqauna for the trails now. If you are a 'newbie' to the sport or just need a good bike to get you places, I definitly recommend this bike, I've yet to have ANY problems, and still put more miles on it than my $600 Iqauna.

NOTE: I've actually, (previous from my last review), bumped the Overall Rating up to five Flamin' Chilis. Reason being is this bike is a descent trail rider, but to be frank, it's more or less a commuter bike, and with that, don't plan on getting a whole lot out of this bike when it comes to the trails.

'03 Iqauna