Giant Iguana 2002 Hardtail

Giant Iguana 2002 Hardtail

[Sep 02, 2003]
Glenn

Strength:

Worth every penny! Sturdy, well designed frame. Decent forks. Light weight for price... Yes, low price is nice. It can handle three-foot flat landing drops and fast-paced rough steeps easily.

None for price. Maybe components.

I'm not bragging, but I can rip on this bike. I've ridden with many riders who insist they need expensive and/or full suspension bikes to ride tough terrain, but I seem to keep them a good distance behind me just fine. Of course, a pro could ride better on a huffy than most could on any bike, but the point is that this bike is sturdy and capable. I agree, the components aren't that great, but it comes with the price. I actually have a 2000, which is pretty much the same as the '02, and I have beaten it for three years now. The drive train is worn out but the frame is as sturdy as ever. I'm contemplating upgrading the components vs. buying a new bike, which will be a hard decision because this bike handles so well.
I recommend this bike to beginners ranging from bike-path leisure riders to future hardcore riders. The cheap price is soft on the wallet and the bike allows a great margin of ability growth, allowing you to progress without having to worry about buying a new bike every step of the way.
Don't buy this bike if you know you will be a strictly downhiller or freerider

Specialized StumpJumper

[May 18, 2003]
Casey

Strength:

light-weight for its price, good fast alivio/deore drivetrain. Good frame in general and its warrenty from Giant. Great feel climbing. fun desender(if u go a little recklessly everyonce in a while) Won my first race with it!

Fork has nothing but internal adjustments. stem/bar/post combo has no name brands(although post looks cool) saddle is uncomrtable, grips too flat and soft. brakes are kinda cheapy feeling. crankset kinda cheap, worth an upgrade.wheels would look cooler with black spokes(ah, just spray paint 'em)

Great beginer mountain bike, u can upgrade off of this puppy as much as you want. It will make you feel a lot more like a true mountain biker if your UPgrading to it. Its got bang for buck. This will also hike up your level of being an enthusiest.

Uh...Schwinn Mesa?

[Jul 04, 2002]
Jason Prokopowich

Strength:

Great component matchup!

Soft front suspension (installing a firm ride kit)

Great bike for the price. Believe me, I shopped around a lot and compared components on other mtb's.

Just have to say that it is cool to be able to convert the travel on front suspension from 80mm to 100mm on this suspension.

Demo'd other mtb's within this price range.

[May 17, 2003]
JON ROMANOV

Strength:

STURDY FRAME FOR A 200+LB RIDER, PRETTY GOOD COMPONENTS FOR A NOVICE TRAIL RIDER

SEAT TAKES TIME TO GET USED TO,NO DISK BRAKES, STEM WAS TO LONG

I LIKE THE FRAME ALOT AND I SPENT SOME MONEY TO UPGRADE A LITTLE AT A TIME . THE BIKE TAKES A LOAD OF ABUSE ON THE TRAILS AND ONLY NEEDS BASIC ADJUSTMENTS. GREAT BIKE FOR A NOVICE RIDER, UNTIL THEY WANT TO DO MORE JUMPS AND SUCH.THEY WILL NEED TO UPGRADE.

NONE

[Mar 14, 2002]
George

Strength:

Every review I read about the bike was great. The bike is light and attractive. The rear derailer does a nice job.

The second day of riding I got in some mud which gunked up the brakes and got stuck between the tire and the front forks. Not only did it make it almost impossible to move forward but it also got in around the front derailer and made shifting impossible. Even after a thorough cleaning the front derailer would not shift properly and needed to be adjusted. The next day out I managed to pop the front tire and knock the seat out of adjustment. It seems as though the seat also needs a special wrench to fix (thank god for Dad's tools). The front suspesion is weak and unresponsive.

The front suspension sucks. The tires spin too easily in the mud. The tires don't kick off mud, but hold it so you can get no traction. This bike may do well on a paved raod but for offroad use you had better hope that the paths are pretty dry. Hopefully it will get better when the ground dry up. Oh yeah almost forgot, my crotch hurts like a ...!!

Test road a GT Agressor1.0 and a Fuji Outback.

[Mar 13, 2002]
Randy Hines

Strength:

Well made bike with quality components for the price range. I have used the bike a lot in the short period that I have owned it, and I have experienced no problems at all. I was amazed at how light the bike was compared to some others in the price range.

I have not had any problems with this bike, although it was a little harder to find than some of the other Giant models or similiar bikes in the same price range. This might just be where I live though. Also, the seat was a little uncomfortable, but it is pretty light, and I can live with it.

In my opinion, this bike was very well made and is well worth what I paid for it. I compared most bikes in this price range, and most of them seemed to be the same. For a beginner like me, I could care less about small differences. I have already put this bike through quite a bit, and it has been perfect for what I need. Shop around, but don't overlook this bike.

[Nov 18, 2002]
Ryan

Strength:

The bike is relatively lightweight. The geometry of the bike fits my body nicely.

The gears are constantly skipping and I can't get any power going up steep hills. The seat sux.

It's a decent bike, with a great ability to upgrade. The bike has taken a beating and the only real problem has been the chain skipping a lot.

Gary Fisher Big Sur
SPecialized Hard Rock

[May 05, 2007]
Bryan

Strength:

This bike is a great bike to learn about mountain biking on. The frame has the same geometry as the top of the line xtc which you can pay several times more for. This bike has treated me well as I have learned more about mountain biking for the past 5 years or so.

You get what you pay for. The components aren't amazing, but they do their job just like they should. Many of the components are much better suited to more casual riding. But heh, you are getting a great bike for the price, so you can upgrade these components as they wear out / you get better.

This bike is a great bike to learn on. As you can see I have upgraded a lot of components from the stock setup as I have gotten better (or broken things). The bike is still in great shape. I highly recommend this bike for someone looking to get into mountain biking.

1997? specialized hardrock

[Mar 03, 2002]
Pat Stanglewicz

Strength:

Fairly light frame, quick shift hasn't gummed up like on my trek.

Mine didn't come with front shocks, i added $150 shockes after i puchesed it.

This is the bike that i alwasy use and i can keep up with my coaches full suspention Cannandale

treck 4600

[Jan 28, 2006]
John

Strength:

Great bike. No real problems at all. Breaks are dam good in all weather.

Tires are crap change them ASAP. there very soft and wear easy. Break pads get dirty easy. Change the tires to better and change seat if you plan doing over 6 miles. Not for the real ruff off track but i did not need it for that.

Great so glad i got it, it's been worth EVERY penny. Change the tires to better and change seat if you plan doing over 6 miles. Firn stedy bike. NEVER had to redo the gears not slipped at all. GREAT MUST BUY!!. Maybe be better wait till next model is out and try to get it as i would of thought the price would drop too..

Specialized, Raleigh, CLAUD BUTLER ( b4 and after they got took over by falcon. they suck now :()