Gary Fisher Paragon 2002 Hardtail

Trevor Bentley   Weekend Warrior [Feb 11, 2002]
Strength:

Great price (retails $1050), solid componets. Genisis Geometry. Solid overall ride, quick bike

Brakes are the weak point of the bike but are easily upgraded.

Great bike for a good price. Exellent upgrade bike if you dont want to spend $$ on full suspention. Longer top tube allows for good stability on downhill or Cross-country.

Brian   Weekend Warrior [Jan 26, 2002]
Strength:

Good Price, good components (XT, LX, deore, and lots of Bontrager)

Crappy Brakes (Avid Single Digit 3)which gave lots of problems, but otherwize it is a solid bike

Overall, the Paragon is a solid bike. I've ridden hard, and in harsh conditions and I have never had any problems so far. My biggest complaint would be the brakes. They need adjusting constantly. It's not a big problem though, you can easily upgrade the brakes cheap.

Buy it if...
You want a solid hardtail at a good price.

Don't buy it if...
You want top of the line

Chris Schuler   Cross Country Rider [Dec 20, 2002]
Strength:

I bought this as just a frame, so the strengths are simpley described by Fisher's Genesis Geometry.

Paint Job

The bottom line is this. The geometry on the frame makes for a very comfortable and technically sound ride. Your climbing and descending are more efficient and more stable respectively.

My only qualm is with that darn two-tone red paint job. I don't want to run this with the mars fork, nor do I want to put a skareb on there. These are the only two forks that match that stock candy red frame color on the front. However, I will not let a paint scheme interfere with a great rating for a great frame!

Similar Products Used: other genesis geometry frames
Ross Willis   Cross Country Rider [Dec 08, 2003]
Strength:

Weight, quality components

not a full suspension bike ;-)

The Paragon was the top-of-the line Gary Fisher 2002 hardtail lineup. It weighs almost nothing, has quality components, and the Genesis Geometry is unparalleled! I've put a lot of miles on this bike and competed in 2 adventure races so far and I've never had a problem -- not even a flat tire! Unfortunately, Fisher took the Paragon in the direction of the 29" wheel in 2003 and the bike seems to be completely missing from the 2004 lineup. If you're looking for a great bike, grab a used one on eBay! You definitely won't regret it.

Greg Walker   Weekend Warrior [Jul 23, 2002]
Strength:

Genesis Geometry. Long top tube sits you further back over the rear tire for climbing ease. Also, extends your body in a more dynamic position for decending.

Haven't had any yet.

This frame climbs & climbs. Sit back on the seat and descend to your hearts content without going faster than your handlebars.

Similar Products Used: None.
Ryan   [Mar 27, 2002]
Strength:

very stiff frame, smooth shifting, precise steering, well balanced bike, seat is quite comfortable, great positioning for the rider, flawless crank

brakes could be better

at the price that i paid i am quite happy ....for the money you can't beat this bike and it is all i need ....if you're not a diehard then this is a superb bike ....if you race then this bike probably wouldn't satisfy you especially with the sub-par braking

Similar Products Used: Specialized
Alex   Racer [May 05, 2002]
Strength:

climbs extremly well. Genesis geometry works great. Rolls like nothing over mud. Wow amazing bike.
thanks gary

shifters could be upgraded, the manitou mars elite should have a lock-out.

this bike is really something. As a racer I must say that I have been impressed. It looks so ...simple but yet so strong and fast. Climbing is no problem. If you race and don't want to pay for the brands name or even get ripped off then I present you the one and ONLY racing bike ever built. It's like a knife that slices through butter.

Similar Products Used: gary-fisher tequila year:1998, trek 8500 year:2001, norco team year:2001.
jared suster   Cross Country Rider [May 16, 2002]
Strength:

Bike climbs amaizingly, part selection is good and the tubeless wheels are an excellent spec. the bike goes where you want it to go no matter what you are doing, i can climb things i never could before.

the fork on it started to leak oil and air but i work in a bike shop so ill get that fixed in a week or two. thats not anything wrong with the bike only manitou

awesome bike, i had the choice to get any bike i wanted but i chose this one cause it had the genisis and it didnt have the 29 in wheels. frame and fork are good an thats all that you need, the rest can be up graded easily

awesome bike!!!!!!!!!!! get one

Similar Products Used: kona
Mau-En   Cross Country Rider [Jul 09, 2002]
Strength:

great geometry for climbing and descending, tough, light frame, great shimano components, easily upgradable

heavier bontrager components

after getting hooked on mountain biking with my specialized hardrock (not meant for true offroading) and shaffer farm trails, i decided that it was time to invest in a bike that was meant for true mountain biking... the paragon came highly recommended... after testing it out a few times, i fell in love with it and bought it... the genesis geometry took a few rides to get used (compared to the more upright style on the old hardrock), but it does make climbing and controlled descending easier and more effortless...

the bike is tough too... on a recent epic ride, i got the rear wheel impaled by a huge branch and brought me to an almost immediate stop on a fast descend... after stopping and pulling it out, i got back on and went on... the logs at shaffer have also caused a few wipeouts too... the bike merely shrugs it off...

over time, i will be upgrading to lighter components instead of the bontragers that it came with, but that's just me gram shaving...

the bottom line: great value bike that will suit any one up to the racer... just take some time to get used to the long top tube, especially for short torso people like me...

Similar Products Used: specialized stumpjumper
Jeffrey   Weekend Warrior [Aug 05, 2002]
Strength:

Genesis geometry is great (6'3", 240). Can't say enough about it. Climbs fantastic and handles all the power I can muster with ease (no noticeable frame bending). Bike seems really light, even the XL that I got. Fork is smooth and tough. Wheels are worry free so far. Brakes work as advertised. Saddle is exceptionally comfortable. Clipless pedals, flawless.

Rear derailleur giving some grief by skipping. Can't decide if it just needs to be broken in more or needs adjusting. Shimano's worked great for me on everything else so I'm not real worried. This is the reason it gets 4 flamin' chili's overall instead of 5.

These folks talking about Genesis geometry aren't kidding. It really works. I'm not smart enough to figure out all the angles and dangles in order to geometrically tell you why. All I know is that when I hop on the bike it is comfortable. Best of all, 2 hours or so later when I'm done for the day, it is still comfortable. Consequently, I can push my heart as long as it allows without worrying about how the rest of my body will hold up. The bottom line: except for the rear derailleur problem which will be corrected somehow, the bike has actually exceeded the expectations I had for it. I'm very happy with it and would highly recommend it for anyone, especially bigger folks because I am one. Quite simply, I got what I paid for and more.