Gary Fisher Marlin 2002 Hardtail

Marlin

heckmanlloyd   Weekend Warrior [Aug 25, 2011]
Strength:

Great Geometry. Holding up well for a 9 y/o bike. Shifts nice even under load.

Clunks a lot. Stock seat post too short for the small frame.

Great bike for the money paid. Geometry is spot on for a beginner like myself. I cut my mountain biking teeth on this bike. Got a new bike, but still enjoy the Marlin! Only 4 chilis because I have not been overly pleased with the Judy TT fork. After a few trips through the woods, it started clunking.

Similar Products Used: Trek 4300, Trek 4500, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Scott Scale Comp 29er
kennymae   Weekend Warrior [Jul 20, 2011]
Strength:

It is just an overall great entry level bike.

The seat has poor padding, I upgraded to a better seat.

great value for what you get, don't buy a bike at wallyworld or kmart.
You get what you pay for.
Invest a little more money, and have a bike that will last you.

biggtadd   Weekend Warrior [Jan 03, 2011]
Strength:

everything

This bicycle is great i owened mine since 2002.I never had any problems with it..i highly recomened this bike.

Similar Products Used: diamondback mtb..does not compare at all.
Mypointofview   Weekend Warrior [Sep 27, 2009]
Strength:

Durable
Decent components
Versitile
Attractive
Quality
Balance is superb for climbing
Frame geometry and strength ...and it's a Gary Fisher

Tad bit heavy.

Great entry level MTB with good quality components. I am an aggressive rider and am pretty hard on bikes. I am very impressed with how durable this bike has been. Quality is unbeatable. Very versitile bike. This is a very good bike, although slightly heavy, it is a good frame to develop from. Good on almost all terrains. You can find these used for the same price as those crapy Wal-mart MTB's and they'll last a lot longer....only upgrade this bike when whatever you are upgrading has broken, the stock stuff works great.

What sold me the most was by going to Youtube and watching Gary Fisher talk about mountain biking. This guy is the real deal. A true pioneer of the sport.

Similar Products Used: Tried various Schwinns, Treks, and a Marin.
Cryohazard   Cross Country Rider [Jul 13, 2009]
Strength:

It's great bike for climbing and also descending...

Heavy...

I have Marlin 08 with classic Genesis geometry. I reallz love this bike. Gary Fisher bikes are one of the best on market so in future I want by some fullsuspension bike like GF Hifi plus...

sdankel   Weekend Warrior [Jul 06, 2009]
Strength:

Mine is black with the white trim and is simply beautiful. The G2 geometry does really make it a very comfortable ride and inspires confidence. Climbs hills with a purpose.

I disagreed with some of the components being silver, so I've upgraded to keep the look consistant - seatpost, stem, handlebar, grips - all black with white lettering (Kore). The Rock Shox Dart 2 is perfectly matched to this bike and smooth as glass. It's rather heavy though, at 5 & 1/2 lbs, so if I did anything next I would upgrade to a lighter fork.

I can't say enough great things about this bike - it is wicked! I over analyze everything and studied for months to find exactly what I wanted before I bought this. I am absolutely certain that I couldn't have made a better decision.

Jeff Carter   Weekend Warrior [Jun 15, 2003]
Strength:

The entire bike is very good.

The only minor thing I see is the seat is a little uncoftorble, no big thing though.

I love this bike so far, it's the best I've ever ridden. Anyone who likes offroad biking would like this bike. I would reccomend it to everyone even a beginer.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo.
Tom   Cross Country Rider [Jun 06, 2003]
Strength:

Genesis geometry, killer paint and graphics, made in USA frame. Great bike for the buck.

Some lower end componentry. Bad saddle. A little heavy due to fork and crankset, but there are cheaper ways to cut weight, so there's no need to upgrade them until they die.

This has been a great bike! I have nothing bad to say about it. The genesis geometry really does work. Very maneuverable on tight, technical singletrack. Climbs excellent. Bontrager wheels have been excellent. Super strong. Have only had the rear wheel trued twice in a year. Made some upgrades but only as needed. Why fix it if it's not broken. Overall, this is a great bike for the money, Take care of it and it will take care of you for a long time. Enjoy.

Similar Products Used: Barracuda Comp
Brett   Weekend Warrior [Jul 05, 2002]
Strength:

everything is great because u can do North Shore, XC, FR, small DH and everything else I love the Magura Julie disc brakes. shifting is great. great rims and tires

if you get into higher end stuff you should get some Marzocchi's or Manitous and if you do not race then get a rock ring (blackspire ring god is great). seat is not great but it doesn't bother me. if you do lumpy stuff then get a suspension seatpost to take the ease off the rough stuff.

this is a great bike for everything for xc to northshore. i would reccommend a suspension seatpost and a bashring if u like rough stuff. overall a great bike for value, performance and reliability. i give 5 flaming turds across the board!!