Fuji Tahoe 2002 Hardtail

ctrip75   Cross Country Rider [Apr 15, 2010]
Strength:

Components. Sram, Juicy and Rock shox

Frame and Wheels

Bike rides great. Frame cracked behind the seatpost. Got a carbon post to take the stress away but frame cracked again. Not worth the time.

Similar Products Used: None
arrowhead87x   Weekend Warrior [Jul 18, 2008]
Strength:

Light, Fast, Excellent Frame, Remote Lock out.

Wheel Hubs, Crankset, and Seat post. Replaced All three within three months.I had to replace the Fuji seat post that creaked All the Time. The rear hub body broke within two months, and The TRUAVID Crank bent and creaks.

Unless you can get this bike for a great deal or plan on upgrading some of the house brand Fuji Parts than PASS. I had to replace the Fuji seat post that creaked All the Time. The rear hub body broke within two months, and The TRUAVID Crank Is not good.

Similar Products Used: Kona Caldera, Trek 6700, Specialized Rockhopper Pro, and Jamis Dakota Sport.
Geo Comeau   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2002]
Strength:

standover hight due to frame geometry, good handling, climbing ability and 9 speed transmision. Avid Mechanical brakes are the Bomb.

Rock Shock Air Judy! bad, bad, bad. Fuji Grips would not stay put and fell apart, Ritchey Z-max tires, too skinny and slip off every thing when wet and cheesy KMC Z-9000 Chain, when it broke I could not replace the pin without bending links on back side.

For the money this is a great bike. The Avid brakes are the best. The frame is well made and handles very well. The major problem is the Judy XC shock, which to my surprise and disappointment was a major let down. After 2 months of trying to get used to them and endoing more times than in the previous 5 years, I dumped the Judy and installed the Marzzochi. After one ride with the Bombers I was finaly sure that this was now the bike it should have been from day one. My advise, if this bike frame feels good to you talk the bike shop into trading up to a better shock. I currenty could not be happier.

Similar Products Used: 96 GT Out Post, 99 GT Karakoram w/judy C, tested several good Kona bikes but felt too streached out. Specialized and Trek.
Michiel   Cross Country Rider [Jul 22, 2002]

Well, this is my second review on the bike. And after using it last few weeks in extreme conditions I must say that my opinion stayed pretty much the same. One thing really changed though... the fork MUST go. It simply sucks, I've tried a Duke XC and it is a much better fork (best fork I've used) and will probably buy a Duke SL. If you buy the bike try to get this as an upgrade, it is defenitly worth it.

The brakes still operate without any glitches and in any condition (simply unbelevable for all those v-brake riders that ride with me). I just had to replace the chain and the pinion (casette... or whatever that rear set of cogs is called) I went with full LX now, nomore Sram stuff (the LX stuff is a lot cheaper here).

I still recommend this bike for anyone that want's a bike that listens perfectly to the commands of the rider.

Also get rid of the tires... I suggest the Continental Twisters... they rule on this bike.

Michiel   Cross Country Rider [Jun 14, 2002]
Strength:

Price quality ratio. The brakes (oh yeah), the looks (my opinion anyway). Good components (not top of the line, but not cheap/low quality either).

The weight is definitly noticable. The fork is OK, but a RS Duke would have been much better.

I may have paid a little more than the suggested retail value, but that's the way it goes in Belgium and it is defenitly worth it. Compared to other bikes in its price range it is a very good deal. If you are a heavy rider, stay away from this bike as the extra weight will make a big difference. On the other hand, the bike is excellent for riding in rainy/muddy conditions. The feedback is also great, it doesn't require much practice to do controlled two wheel slides in turns on gravel :)

If you ever buy it, pay attention to the dark blue color, it tends to show even the smallest scratch... the white however doesn't show anything.

In the end this bike can keep up with other bikes out of a higher price range.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rockhopper
Marc   Cross Country Rider [Jun 19, 2002]
Strength:

Frame style is very original, rear derailleur very good (LX), front fork is o.k., Disc brakes are excellent, rapid fire shifters a plus (for me anyway).

Bike is a little heavy, and does not accelerate as fast as I'd like it to, but it's a better workout.

This bike is the best one you'll get for $850. It's probably the best one you'd get for $1100. I've had a Cannondale dual suspension ($1500), Barracuda ($1400), and this Fuji Tahoe. This Fuji is the best I've had, great for beginners or hard core riders.