Diamondback Response 2002 Hardtail

Response

jameson hinkle   Weekend Warrior [Jan 29, 2002]
Strength:

there's enought travel on the shock to hit some small jumps and large bumps, pretty light, seat is comfortable for long rides

rear rims bend to easily

The bottom line is, if this is your first or second bike, it's the thing to to get because it rides well and will probably last you a long time.

Similar Products Used: raleigh m50
crash   Weekend Warrior [Dec 23, 2001]
Strength:

the rst fork had enough travel for some jumps and hits
the crank arms were stiff
the frame was stiff

it was a little heavy

it is recomended if you don't want to spend much but you don't want a big investment. it felt pretty good.

Similar Products Used: shwinn high plains
Mark   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2003]
Strength:

Great price, nice look, and not to heavy. The frame, gears, and gear changers are very reliable.

The hoop for the tires is weak and the breaks I have to constantly adjust. The front shocks are damaged. The spring is only secured in place by a hard plastic cap. The screw threads on the cap, that adjusts the tension of the shock, strip easily. I am 205 lbs. and I thought that the bike could support my weight but it has trouble doing that. The wheels constantly bend. I mostly use the bike on trails and roads, no extreme mountain biking

I have been mountain biking on and off since 1989 with a Trek and a Nishiki mountain bike. I decided to get a new mountain bike that would fit my budget in the spring of 2002. It was a great price, but it is a little weak for my weight and for what I use it for. I could easily do 60 miles on a weekend of just trail or street riding. Don't get me wrong, this is a GREAT bike for a beginner or a novice biker. This bike, I believe, is not exactly for someone with intermediate mountain biking experience. If you are considering this bike, please consider your weight, how often you plan on using it and what kind of riding you plan on doing with it. This bike, in my opinion, is mostly for casual recreational riding, which it is well suited for.

Similar Products Used: Trek and Nishiki.
luis lajara   Cross Country Rider [Jan 29, 2003]
Strength:

all,but,the paint scratch easily.

nothing,hard im PR we ride at extreme conditions.

Better than i spect when i bought it,great climb,nice descent,easy sprint,strong frame 7005 aluminum,im a little destroyer why i cant say its prove by a pro hehehe.
nice rides

Similar Products Used: rockhopper,hardrock,hoo_koo_e_koo,cannondale 600
Jose   Cross Country Rider [Dec 24, 2002]
Strength:

Light and strong frame.

Noisy BB, rims bend easily, gear shift noisy

Is a good bike for the price. If you are a beginner this is a great deal...

Todd Nappi   Weekend Warrior [May 02, 2003]
Strength:

Holds up well over time.

None really, considering price.

I really like this bike, I have ridden it about 3000 miles in 3 years around town and it has held up good with all the abuse. I would recommend it to beginner/novice riders. I'm not sure if Diamondback is currently making a lower priced model but it was definately better than my friend's $300 Mongoose.

Hardcore Habon N/A   Weekend Warrior [Jan 05, 2003]
Strength:

Stiff and burly frame

component selection

This is a follow up to the one I posted back in April. It's been about a year that I've had my D-Back in service and it is still rolling strong. Once again, plenty of upgraded parts make the bike much better than stock. Still doing the drop-offs. Biggest was six-footer to flat without trouble anywhere. Much better handling due to the new stem and bar combo. Pretty sure the bike will hold up for another season or two. Great frame that is good to work with. Not worth racing with but good with light freeride and aggressive trail riding and urban assault.

Similar Products Used: Raleigh M60 (served me well)
Hardcore Habon   Weekend Warrior [Apr 20, 2002]
Strength:

Probably the only thing that is good on this bike is the frame. It is built w/pretty large diameter 7005, heat treated aluminum. It is also gusseted at the head tube. All this makes for a solid and stiff frame.

The component spec is cheesy at best.

I ride plenty of urban assault and trail riding. Do plenty of 5ft+ drops and jumps. Frame heavy and solid. I guess that's a good thing. Did plenty of part swaps, and only thing left was the OEM crank set and front derailleur. Overall, the bike handles very well once you upgrade the original parts. Get a suspension seatpost cause the stiff frame will put all the trail shock into your "arse". Good bike for what you pay, frame worth working with. Better bike once you upgrade.

Similar Products Used: 2000 raleigh m60 (served me very well)
Bobby   Cross Country Rider [May 28, 2002]
Strength:

Very durable and stable on rough terrain. It doesn't weigh a lot (26lbs). It is very well built bike and is made for serious crap.

Fork is really good on huge drops and not little 4 footers.

Lookin for a killer bike for a killer deal, this is the bike for you, I have been riding it for 7 months now and I love it.