Diamondback Outlook 2002 Hardtail

Outlook

jodebane   Cross Country Rider [Apr 08, 2011]
Strength:

Has gotten me going down all sorts of easy to intermediate trails at a good price.

Heavy, Chain has come off, front brake has been busted

I really like the bike, but I sometimes wish I had something higher end. This is my first bike so Its done ok getting me into mountain biking, but I am planning on buying something better. But for the price, its a decent deal because this bike does the job, even if it doesn't do it as well as a good bike should.

Similar Products Used: None
BigV   Cross Country Rider [Feb 03, 2011]
Strength:

Pretty good components for this price range.
Kenda Klaw tires are surprisingly good in mud and snow.

Grips and twist type shifters.
Cable routing (on 2005 model)

It's a good, cheap bike. I'm putting slicks on it and using it for the street only. I think with maintenance it will last a long time.
Mine is a 2005, and has a little better components than the newer ones you get at Dicks.
I've had this bike on trails, and you can see it's limitations very quickly. I don't think a bike under $400 would last very long off road anyway.
It led me to an interest in mountain biking, but I still wouldn't recommend it as an entry level bike. Look around for a $400 - $600 bike as an entry level.

Similar Products Used: None
John Cu   Weekend Warrior [Oct 06, 2010]
Strength:

Nice aluminum frame, good handle bars.

Shimano gears but not anything extraordinary. Average gears.

Ok I bought this bike at a Pawn shop in Vegas because 1) it was a Diamondback which are popular bikes here in Las Vegas 2) it has a 20" frame which can be kind of hard to find in Sports Authority or wherever here. Don't know why except there are more selections for the medium size frames than large. OK this bike needed work as I bought it used so I sent it to Bike world to fix its problmes. All said I saved maybe $20 over buying it brand new but I think I rescued a bike worth saving. Its a red frame so an older bike as in 2002 - 2004. Great for cruising around town here or some light trail riding; definitely wouldn't reccommend it for rough mountain trails. Light to moderate trails ok.

Similar Products Used: Gitane (ok not really a MTB)
chethammer   Cross Country Rider [Sep 22, 2010]
Strength:

Good price point, smooth ride

Breaks down a low. I mean a lot. I've had it back to Dicks a dozen times to be fixed. I started out loving the bike, but now I literally hate it!

DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE. YOU WILL BECOME A SLAVE TO DICKS SPORTING GOODS OR WHEREVER YOU BUY IT. I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO OTHER ADVICE AND BOUGHT A TREK OR CANONDALE AT A LOCAL SHOP.

Evenflow11   Weekend Warrior [Jun 23, 2010]
Strength:

Hmm..?? Low price I guess

Heavy, not durable, often shifts in and out of gear while riding, broke several spokes on some minor rough terrain.

Bottom line is I bought this bike not knowing whether or not I would enjoy riding which is why I spent so little. Although I came to find that the bike is a piece of trash and should not be taken on anything other than pavement and smooth dirt roads, it served its purpose for the money and now I am looking at upgrading to a Cannondale F7 CO2 disc or a Specialized Hardrock sport disc 29er. I am glad I had this bike b/c I really enjoy riding (in general) after getting used to it (sore ass, tough to get up hills), but if you have any inclination that you will stick with it, hold out for something a little better, maybe buy a used bike. Sorry Diamonback ;(

Similar Products Used: First Mountain Bike
Foot Fingers   Weekend Warrior [Sep 22, 2009]

Heavy, weak rims, poor quality fork

I got this bike to see how much I could get into MTB, and after my first trail run its already in the shop being repaired. The back rim got bent on a 3 ft drop, and couldn't be fixed with truing. I now have to replace the back rim. I could have saved an extra $100 and got a much better bike.

keith7747   Weekend Warrior [Sep 20, 2009]
Strength:

I think it's about the same as the TREK 2200, but cost $300.00 less.

Shifting is a little noisy and some clumsly.

I would buy this over the TREK 2200. I think that's the model. Anyway, the TREK was about $300.00 more then this bike and I rate them the same all around. Performance, weight, and looks. Why pay $300.00 more for the same type of bike.......NOT ME!!
It's about the same weight as the TREK 2200.

Similar Products Used: TREK 2200
pretenderlex   Weekend Warrior [Sep 25, 2008]
Strength:

Solid, simple to work on and make adjustments to, Company build quality is always questioned but the frames are put together well enough. My bike was obviously left out in the weather for some time but has little rust except for the bars, chain and three or four spokes so appears to hold up well.

Heavy, slow gearing for the road

At my purchase price it is a real bargain. I will give it a good check over and pass it on to charity as I do with most bikes.

Similar Products Used: Repco, Titan, Huffy, Aussie and any of the 100 more names that this frame is sold under (yes all made by the same company and you all know the name of it).
txwebguy   Weekend Warrior [Jun 07, 2008]
Strength:

It's borderline between a department store frame and an entry level bike. Everything can be upgraded easily to make it a very strong bike that can compete against the Sorrento and $300+ bikes

Frame is heavy, has the quill stem. Came with cheap drive train. Forks do not last long and are low travel. Rims are single wall. Pretty much everything but the frame itself is a weekness and the 2000-2002 models did not have replaceable derailleur hangers so that is a negative used.

Higher quality than department store but not suited for heavy trail riding unless modifications are done. I only did this because I had $200+ of parts laying around. It's better to buy a new bike with better components because they discount the components for you. Would recommend the Diamondback Sorrento instead.