Dean USA Private 2002 Hardtail

Private

Terrence Liu   Cross Country Rider [Aug 18, 2002]
Strength:

steel frame, light frame 3.8 lbs in the medium, stiff but resilient, great climber, and single tracker
handcrafted frame, quality welds, made in USA

steel needs to be maintained

It has been 10 years since my last bike. Let me clarify my first bike was a Kona Explosif 93 vintage-Tange Steel-climbs like a goat, single tracks telepathically, but you need to concentrate on the fireroads. Same year bought a used M2, hated it. Too stiff abused me on the descents my Explosif seemed faster in the saddle. Sold that M2-I will never by a aluminum hardtail again. Recently got back into riding. Found a used Ibis Mojo-98 vintage-like butter, magical ride-all the hype is true with this frame. Too bad the Ibis company is gone. I had the frame repainted and this will be my "coffee house" rig.
Now to the Dean Private. Luckily I found the frame for $500 thru Jenson USA. Light as Alumin, but with the ride of steel. It does everything the Kona did but with better fireroad stability. It climbs like a goat, with each peddle, there is that steel surge. Single tracks easily min. steering input needed. As compared to the Mojo, it is stiffer, but again not abusive. That magic carpet-ride quality of the Ibis Mojo not quite there with the Dean. All in all love the Dean to abuse to hell and feel no regrets. An excellent ride which is really a substitute for the IBIS Mojo.