Rocky Mountain Slayer 2002 Full Suspension

Slayer

STEW   Cross Country Rider [Jun 29, 2003]
Strength:

Look, Feel and Ride. Suspension.

The stock seat is like an anvil.

Fantastic bike. I love to ride long climbs with fun stuff waiting for the ride back down. With not much work I dialed in the front and rear suspension: doesn't suck-n-bob on climbs, but rides pillow soft on the way down. I've used several front shocks and believe Marzocchi's to be the best. Once you get it set, you forget about your shock. It just works and you don't think about it. Rocky 3d-link has great lateral stiffness and still makes a smooth ride. This is my fourth bike and second Rocky. I love it. Only two (minor) beefs, one is solely related to my style of riding. First, the Selle seat. During a long ride it feels like you're sitting on a fence post. Thank you, gel pants. Second, I ride pavement a bit too much for the Hutch. Mosq. Lite's. They're getting chewed fast. Panaracer TrailBlasters are better for my type of riding. Still, this is a great XC + more bike.

Similar Products Used: Rocky Mountain Spice, Specialized RockHopper, Specialized HardRock
GwEg   Weekend Warrior [Jul 03, 2002]
Strength:

Great all Around bike, big travel capability, handle very well, the 3D link suspension is very great...

doesn't come with a fox pump or something like that, no chain slap protector but these aren't big deal

this is the best bike I ever! The Z1 soak up everything and the 3D link is very great and very stiff. I've not encounter the tire problem : I passed a day to Bromont (A DH mountain) and never got a pinch flat, they handle very well too. The deore hydraulic disc brake are great, they skweal a little bit when hot but not to get you deaf. They are powerful too and have great modulation! The frame is very strong and very stiff. The bike is light enough to do xc, strong enough to do a little DH and freeride!
But the bike is quite hard to find! I got the last 18 inch in canada! But I bought it a little late so I guess it was easier to find one when they produce it!
Well it's the best bike I ever own , If you can afford it, buy it and you wont regret it

Similar Products Used: hardtails
Buckdome   Cross Country Rider [Dec 09, 2001]
Strength:

Nice paint job on a beefy, well built frame. It came with Hayes brakes, Killer! Zoke Z.1 is buttery smooth. Parts spec works well together. A quality bike, seems built to last.

Fox air shock. It works well, but not as plush as a coil over, especially for a heavier rider. Race face Bars are too narrow, replaced them with a pro taper. Skewers were marginal quality. I am a little concerned about bushings instead of bearings at the pivots, but no squeak so far.

I had been riding a series of GT I drives for the past 2 years, but they kept breaking. I was forced to buy another ride when they went out of business and would not honor warranties. The Slayer is a great bike for an all around rider. Enough suspension to go anywhere. The only thing that will hold you back will be your brain, not the bike.

Similar Products Used: 2000 GT I drive.
jim   Cross Country Rider [Mar 16, 2002]

still thinking of one...

FUN! FUN! FUN! After MTB riding for 10 years, I never thought a bike could have such a positive effect on my technical abilities and overall joy of MTBing! Soaks up all bumps (large and small) while maintaining rear wheel traction. Excellent climbing bike. FUN! FUN! FUN!

Dogsoldier9   Racer [Mar 09, 2002]
Strength:

Frame desigh/weight. Active suspension and travel. Air shock lockout/fork lock out. Travel and disc brakes.

It doesn't clean itself......

I probably won't break this bike. Warranty has it's drawbacks and I think the Slayer will take a few seasons. The fork is super sweet once springed up for my taste. XT disc brakes provide the best in breaking since I sold my motocross bike. Shutter bump stops are easy, DH stuff is a rockin rush. The balance of front to rear travel is soo sweet.

Similar Products Used: Trek Fuel 90 Disc, GT LTS, Trek 8500 LT, Mongoose NS9.7DH, Trek 2200.
eric butler   Cross Country Rider [Nov 26, 2001]
Strength:

strong frame. headtube will never bust. extremely efficient for a soft tale freerider. plush fork. user friendly...extremely easy and fun to ride. toss on the proper rims for your riding style and this bike is everything that could ever be wanted

not too many. i put the wrong rims on so i ended up torking the rims multiple times until i bought a downhill rims

great freerider that rides like a hardtale until you hit the drops and the downhill. fork will give you 100% travel. the best bike for an all arround rider. heavy enough for downhill light enough with the efficiency for cc and it has the travel for the big drops

Similar Products Used: kona stinky five or six
Fedder Better   Cross Country Rider [Feb 13, 2002]
Strength:

Strong frame. Nice suspension. Great fork. Front and rear lockout options. Hayes hydro disk brakes. Feels good.

So-so cogset. Parts spec. Cheapo hubs. Tires.

Ooh, this bike rocks. At first -- escpecially if you're used to hardtails -- the bike feels kinda tall and squirrly, but once the suspension starts to break in, it's all smiles. The balance in front and rear is excellent and when setup right, you have the agility of a XC fiend, with a little bombability RM is known for. I initially setup the rear shock a little too hard since i was riding a flat/climbing trail. It didn't quit feel right when i rode a up and down/rocky/ledgey trail so i let off some air and noticed a marked improvement. The rear didn't skid as much and the little drops almost disappeared. The climbs up the steep rocky stuff also seemed to be a bit easier. Nowhere did i feel excessive play or flex even when cranking the hills and the frame and fork track as true as you want it. I ended up rolling and flying through stuff that i normally slowly clunk my way through. The parts held up and the brakes did great considering they're still pretty fresh. Sitting and pedaling was right on as this bike felt like it was made for my exact body dimesions.

A few things kinda concerned me on my first rides. One, the brakes seem to be rubbing against something (pads, brake body, or something), but i figure it'll go away with a little time (i hope). Two, the rear hub is already loose and will need to be adjusted. Three, the shifting is kinda goofy; i've had a few missed shifts and stuck chains especially up front. It seemed like i was gonna need to pop my thumb out of it's socket in order to shift into a higher chainring. On flat trails, it's not a big deal or a big problem, but when riding to the base of a steep hill and needing to drop a few gears, it sucks. All really minor problems since all can be adjusted.

Overall, this is a sweet bike. It works as advertised and the slightly heavier wieght is not even noticeable. Swap out the rear tire maybe and climbing is on par with any decent hartail. I haven't used the lockout, but it's a nice feature to have for the endless bummer climbs. If yer looking for a XC-savvy bike that can drop down the rough stuff when needed, this is the bike to get.

Similar Products Used: None really.
terry   Cross Country Rider [Oct 30, 2002]
Strength:

This bike does it all! It climbs great, even with 5 inches of travel (though you may have to play a bit with handlebar height, stem length, fork set up, etc) and just bombs down nasty descents. The rear sus is firm and effecient but really sucks up big hits. It's tough but light and it looks cool. What more can I say?

Though this is a great bike, I had some component problems. First the Marzocchi Z1's lockout blew the first time I rode it (and I wasnt even using it). I have no need for a it, so I didn't really care and didn't have it fixed, but still. Other than that, it's a great fork.
On top of this, the bb went on me after only about a month. That pissed me off! The middle chain ring wore out after only 3 months. Needless to say, I'm not too impressed with the drivetrain on this bike. The Race Face/SRAM combo is nowhere as good as shimano XT, especially when things get muddy. I think a bike like this should come specd with a higher end drivetrain. I'll be switching to a full XT drivetrain for next spring.
I didn't even try the stock tires--mosquito lights. I went for my old standby tire--panracer fire xc pro.

Even though I have some issues with the components on this bike, overall I have to say, I love it! It's fast (for a fairly beefy 5 and 5 bike) on flats and climbs and even faster on the downhills. Basically, this is a cross country bike, but on steroids. If your going to be riding on smooth, flat trails, go buy a hardtail, or a 3 and 3 full sus. But if your going to ride long, arduous, rock-strewn, root-infested trails with moderate drops and jumps (like those in Kananaskis Country) go get a Slayer. It'll get you over the pass and let you scream down the other side. And at the end of the day, you wont feel like Mike Tyson was giving you kidney shots for 5 hours straight.

Similar Products Used: Voodoo Zobop
Phil Shaw   Cross Country Rider [Nov 22, 2001]
Strength:

Looks. Rear shock. Relative light weight for a solid frame.

None yet.

I bought frame only on a warranty claim for my broken Oxygen Race. The msrp on the frame, I was told, is $1600, and I got a $500 credit from my lbs for the Oxygen frame, so I paid $1100 (Canadian bucks)for the upgrade.

The only other dual suspension I have ridden regularly is my SC Superlight, which I reserve for dry weather riding (still set up light and fast, with v-brakes and 2.1 inch tires)

The suspension on the Superlight really does stiffen up under braking. This results, in my hands, in a fair amount of trepidation on steep sketchy downhill (I confess to being mildly cautious anyway, and I definitely don't do big drops...).

I rode my friend's RM Instinct briefly before I settled on this bike. The linkage design is identical, but the rear pivot on the Slayer is a larger lever, giving 5 inches vs 4 inches travel. I was immediately struck by the active rear suspension under braking. The rear tire "sticks" to the ground through tough sections much better than the Superlight.

I settled on the Slayer so as to have two entirely different ride experiences.

My setup is perfect for the winter slop we get here. I've struggled a couple of winters with inadequate tires and brakes, and this is wayyy more fun, though the price is paid going uphill (what to expect with a 2.6 lb front tire?).

I can ride moderately tough trails with confidence, even when soaking wet and muddy, and I can keep my more downhill minded friends well within sight for a change. And slugging my 32 lb-ish bike uphill all winter is decent training...

The frame weighs 6.1 lbs, so setting the bike up for lighter weight dry weather riding would be easy.

The Fox RL shock is a luxury, though the bike really does climb fireroads well even when not locked out. I do like climbing, and I suspect others who enjoy the climb won't be put off by this bike.

If the Superlight is a good bike for those who want hardtail responsiveness with the benefits of some suspension, this seems to be the bike for the cross country recreational rider who is looking for a little more confidence and a more solid feel on increasingly difficult terrain.

And my friends drool over it.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Superlight (similar only in that it has wheels and a back shock
Henrik Cosworth   Downhiller [Oct 22, 2002]
Strength:

Ok cross country bike with limited down hill capabilities.

The Company behind the product is the main problem. You can't complain over the service because it is non existent. They do not answer e-mails or for that matter pick up their phones. In other words piss poor support. Sorry about my French.

At a 4000.00 USD price tag in this country and the lack of support from Rocky Mountain it is not what you can call value for money. I can find hand build bikes here which are just as good if not better at less money.