Kona Manomano 2002 Full Suspension

Ynte   Weekend Warrior [Mar 14, 2010]
Strength:

Nice looks, none of my friends has it, frame can take severe punishment, great service from Kona

Standard setup: crankset, brakes, rear shocks, basically all moving parts need soon replacement. In the standard setup, the front end is indeed quite light causing flipovers during steep uphill climbing attempts.

This was a great bike for getting used to riding full-suspension. Most moving parts wore out quickly and had to be replaced by better quality ones (especially the brakes and the rear shocks!). I have abused it intensely for 6 years, before the first defect to the frame appeared: a broken chainstay. Even though I bought it from German Ebay, I could get warranty via Monaco at a dealer in the Netherlands close to where I live. Within a week I had the spare part (for free!), and within two weeks I was riding again. Excellent service from Kona! With my current setup the bike is almost perfect: practically no maintenance and easy shifting even in stand-still (Alfine hub), no more too light front end because of the RS fork, and no bobbing with the Manitou Swinger SPV rear shocks. Nearly indestructible, rides solid like a tank. Yes, it weighs a few kg, but that's good training in my opinion.
Conclusion: good bike for starters who don't mind about a kg more or less.

Similar Products Used: None; rode hardtail until I bought this one
Kris   Cross Country Rider [Jul 17, 2003]
Strength:

As purchased, the bike is perfectly functional for a beginner to intermediate rider. The frame and suspension are superb. Granted, the front end is a little light, but you can work that out with tuning, and a new stem.

The Hayes Mechanical Discs are CRAP.

If you can get into this bike for under $800, you have a VERY good platform for building a top notch bike.

Phil Yates   Weekend Warrior [Mar 24, 2002]
Strength:

Back suspension, disk brakes, build quality

Stem has too much angle causing a light front end.

I bought the bike on a Friday lunchtime and rode the bike on a 68km race the next day and enjoyed finding out the character of the bike. Absolutely impressed with the rear suspension and disk brakes. The bikes feel very confident on tight trails and excelled on the downhills. Nice and sharp on climbs with very little bob. Highly recommended.

Paul Walsh   Weekend Warrior [Feb 14, 2002]
Strength:

Well designed frame, good componentary, no bob (compared to previous bike), competent downhill, great brakes

Too light front end makes climbing hard, front suspension seems to top out- related to first problem

Too light at front and did not like the tyres. Changes bars to lower ones and dropped headset, and changes tyres to WTB velociraptor at front and IRC Mythos XC at rear. Now going like a freight train. Extremely competent rear end at climbing, light enough at the front end, great downhill and brakes on a sixpence.

Similar Products Used: 1999 Specialized Comp FSR
Ben   Downhiller [Oct 06, 2003]
Strength:

Hard Frame, Reasonably light, shifts well with LX mech and deore shifters, good grips(!), nice fork once worn in. I haven't used it much for XC as I live in the middle of a city and can't be assed to travel out! Therefore, I tend to use it more of a freeride/street riding bike. Jumping off low walls, getting on and off of benches, balancing the front on obstacles etc. All of which it seems to do with no hassel, even though it wasn't really designed for this! Hasn't broke yet!

Didn't like the original mechanical brakes. Got rid of them straight away for some hope mini's front and rear (soooo much better, if you haven't got hydraulics you dont know what powerful braking is!. Also light end when climbing. And I dont know whether anyone else gets it, but I seem to get loads of punctures.

I LOVE MY BIKE! Good looks, good spec, and a good bike to start the upgrade path. It'll take anything you through at it, XC, Downhill, freeride, street riding. A very versatile bike for those that like a bit of everything!I got mine for £799 in mid 2003 which is good as it retails for about £1400 in England. What a bargain! You need this bike in your life. Pimpin' baby!

Similar Products Used: Old bike was a Marin Bear Valley SE (R.I.P.!). Tried out a Marin Shoreline Trail (Sh*t), SPecialised Rockhopper Pro Disc (good), Kona Kahuna (good), GT I-drive (average, felt wierd), Whyte (strange but good for XC not for me though).
Paul Gelineau   Cross Country Rider [Sep 18, 2002]
Strength:

Avid disc brakes, Float Rear, Bomber fronts. Can be set up for a very soft ride on some cobble rock which used to really beat me up on the rigid frames. Even though the derailures are not the top of the line I find them to be adequately responsive for general riding. The fully active frame is responsive to the terrain and the riders position.

I agree with every one else, the front end is quite light and tends to come off on steep climbs. One has to be a bit careful or you may find it on top of you rather than the other way around. Lack of rebound control on the Fox Float rear shock. Top tube's a bit on the long side.

I find it to be a fine bike for all around riding, easier technical single track and great for cross country. Those brakes are simply outstanding and were one of the major reasons for the purchase. While the components aren't the best they'll certainly be adequate and upgrading is always an easy option.

Similar Products Used: Klein Mantra
Lead Feet   Cross Country Rider [Oct 01, 2002]
Strength:

Value and stock components for the $$$$$

Like others, feel the front end is light. Big change from my hard tail

Very pleased with the bike. Great first FS at a great price. The stock Deore parts are fine as well as the truative crank. Hayes mechanical disc's are awesome. Marzocci bomber front fork is sweet. Will upgrade parts as I break them or due to wear. Great purchase that will keep the wife off your back especially if you dropped some serious coin on a road bike 5 months ago.

I am 42 and this bike will add years to my back and prostrate. Give Kona a look. There are too many Cannondale's, trek's and Gary Fisher's out there anyway.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Jek 600, GF Sugar 4, trek fuel 800.
john   Cross Country Rider [Jan 03, 2003]
Strength:

Light front allows for easy lifts over rocks and logs, even with 120 mm stem. I find I need very little momentum to lift and clear even the largest diameter logs.

Very light front end tended to lift off the ground on uphills. My first attempt at a wheelie landed me flat on my back. This was cured with a new 120 mm stem and by adapting to the bike's setup.

After switching to a longer stem, I am completely satisfied with the bike. It is great fun to ride, easily handles any terrain, steep, rocky, uphill, downhill, and is extremely durable. I've gone down hard several times on this bike and even watched from the ground as it flew over my head after endoing on an extremely steep and rocky downhill section. The bike emerged completely unscathed, although I was hurting. Given the price, features, (especially the disk brakes), and the excellent ride quality, I feel this bike is an excellent value.