Kona Kahuna 2002 Full Suspension

Patrick   Cross Country Rider [Jul 05, 2003]
Strength:

The frame is strong.
The shifting and brakes are nice.

The shox that come with the bike aren't the best, but they can easily be upgraded.

The bike is well made and gets the job done. Great look and feel, excellent bike for the price, although i would go with the new 2003 model....its cheaper, has better components, and looks better. Has no problems handliing the trails and road travel is possible with the preloaded shox.

Jeff Green   Weekend Warrior [Nov 28, 2001]
Strength:

Great geometry
Good suspension (for Average trails)

Could use a lock-out on the rear shock.

This bike is great for both basic trail riding as well as some more extreme trails. The balance is good, drops are no problem as long as they're not over 3 ft or so. I found the components to be of good quality. It's a great mid high end bike for someone that wants to ride but is not to insane!

Similar Products Used: Fisher Joshua
Josh   Cross Country Rider [Feb 08, 2003]
Strength:

The bike as a whole is flat out awesome. I upgraded a few things here and there to fit my liking.

Can't think of any...

This is one smooth bike. The 4 bar suspension system works wonders. I have noticed no bobbing whatsoever. Everytime I ride, I am amazed! It is everything I want and need in a bike, especially at this price. I have done my share of jumps/drops and it has held up wonderfully. I can also ride for hours without tiring. I am thrilled with my new purchase. I most certainly recommend it, especially for the intermediate rider. Great job Kona!

Similar Products Used: Giant NRS 3, Ironhorse Showdown
Bob Red   Racer [Jan 15, 2002]
Strength:

very light and strong

objects losen after long rough downhill rides

I LOVE this bike and I actually prefer this bike over a full suspension which my friends have and have been trying to get me to buy, but I keep completing trails with ease when my friends are out of breath. I tried their bikes and I can see why. I'm stick'in with this bike for as long as I can.

Matt Steele   Cross Country Rider [Oct 30, 2006]
Strength:

This bike makes riding addictive!Well made frame and I've taken it all over the world and its never failed.Good components supplied for the money,easy to maintain.

The front shock lets it down,I broke the spring twice and the stanchions were always sticky.The rear shock was too heavy.

If you like to go fast on the way to work or XC trails after this bike is great.Its been reliable to me for 4 years riding it every day on all kinds of trails every where.

Similar Products Used: First full sus.
Ronnie   Weekend Warrior [Mar 21, 2003]
Strength:

Looks great,handles great,strong frame,plush ride,good standard components for the price.

Just the stock fork and riser bar; otherwise, a great FS bike.

This is my first full-suspension bike,and I got a deal on it that I couldn't pass up. Konas are not as well known in the U.S. as they are in Canada and Europe, but I highly recommend you check one out. The frame is super-strong and well made, and the bike handles great. I do recommend replacing the stock fork(Judy TT) however. It's okay for bike paths, but for off-road use, spend a little for a much better fork and you'll be glad you did. The Deore stock components are decent, but XT is so smooth, and it's the best component group for the money, I think. My next upgrade will be to a Fox Float R air shock, but the Vanilla coil-over performs well for now. This bike makes riding addictive. Thanks, Kona!

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rockhopper FSR,Gary Fisher Sugar.
Nataniel Lessnick   Cross Country Rider [Jan 30, 2003]
Strength:

The components are great! You won't find a Fox Vanilla on many bikes at this price. Killer looks too!! Makes riding become an addiction

Somewhat heavy, OK for a full suspension. You might want to upgrade the fork and pedals. Perfect for me though.

I was recently thinking of buying the 03 Norco Charger but fell in love with the Kahuna. Great xc bike although I have'nt been riding much yet (I kept it in my room for the first week!) Kona rocks, get one and see for yourself.
To sum up: fun, sweet lookin, affordable bike :)

nathan ashton   Cross Country Rider [Mar 29, 2004]
Strength:

Nice setup in the rear end! components are good for the price, rides well, rear setup doesn't take much power away from pedaling.

rear chain stay broke the first week I had the bike, and the fork sucked ass!!

this bike is awesome for the everyday trail rider, nice set up, gives the least amount of power loss when pedaling looks great! this bike is cheap, but rides like alot of expensive bikes, i drove the Norco atomik for alittle more than a year before i got the kahuna, and id choose the kahuna over the atomik any day!!! great bike kona!
(it was a pain in the ass to get the rear chain stay replaced on my bike when it broke)

Similar Products Used: Norco Atomik, Diamondback f/s(old), Rocky Mountain Spice, Specialized FSR.
Ray Fewtrell   Weekend Warrior [Oct 17, 2002]
Strength:

Light, easy setup fun to ride full susser, and cheap too. Looks good and rides well too.

Not a fan of the front forks (Judy TT), I didn't like the feel once the correct sag was set.

Been riding a Saracan dirt trax pro for 5 years on many xc route, decided a full susser was needed. Got a good deal at halfords, bike was on offer for 700 pounds instead of 1000 pounds. Upgraded forks and wheels 2 weeks ago, not been out on the trails yet. Much easier and more comfort on trails than the hardtail.
Overall looks good and great fun to ride, but I've upgraded a couple of bits to suit my choice of terrain and riding

Angie   Racer [Jan 13, 2003]
Strength:

Great looking bike, fairly light for a full suspension, under 30lbs. Handles real well.

Fox vanilla shock, I'm 5'7" and even on the loosest setting I could barely budge the rear shock.

I dig this bike!!! I went from a Specialized rockhopper, 10 yrs old and no suspension to this, and I am stoked. I climb better, ride better, and am less anxious on the technical stuff. Maybe pretty soon I can beat my hubbie on these rides, we'll see. I think this bike is great for anyone looking to upgrade to an f/s ride, it really rocks!!!