Iron Horse Hustler 2002 Full Suspension

tony jones   Weekend Warrior [Aug 24, 2002]
Strength:

good components, great ride. very capable climber.

heavy, my digitial scales state 31.3 pounds with pedals, tires a little sketchy, complex linkage.

this is a very good bike. I could tell very little difference between hauling this bike up our local 3 mile fire road climb versus my hardtail. setting up the cockpit to fit is very important!! it is a very active suspension, that makes you think you should use a lock out on the rear, but it really does not affect your climbing that much. this design is very effective on small bumps and large hits, but with the extra linkage, i hope bushings dont wear fast!! the hayes discs are great after breaking them in and the ECC is great for climbing. solid bike that stays under you and in control on descents, but the tires will wash out in loose stuff. will update after more time on this bike.

Similar Products Used: I-drive, specialized fsr, old trek Y.
John   Cross Country Rider [Aug 23, 2002]
Strength:

climbs like a goat. great price. good components

tires

can't beet this bike for the price. been riding for over a month keeps up and does everything the more costly bikes do. compare components to the fsr basically the same. i ride pretty hard this bike handles it well. was surprised how well it climbs it digs in. shifts and stops well. crank sprockets are very light I suggest a rock crawler to replace the large ring if you do alot of rock crawling and stumpjumping. tires will do for now but they roll a bit in the fast tight turns hard pack. also slip quite a bit on moist roots on the uphills. other than that there fine. hayes mechanicals work great easy to adjust. I'm giving the bike a 5 because its simply the best for your bucks.

Similar Products Used: fsr and jeckyll
john c   Cross Country Rider [Aug 20, 2002]
Strength:

solid bike yet light in weight. good components great price

haven't found any major weeknesses. tires roll a bit in the hard packed turns. wish it had a lock out on the rear shock.

This is the best bang for your buck. I did alot of shopping and researching good xcountry bikes. I live in a rugged north eastern town in NY. single track with with good hills and lots of rocks. This bike handles all the hits big and small.once you get the shocks set up for your weight and ability. I played around with many variations and on the fourth try I got it right. 40 pounds front. my weight plus 10 for positive air and my weight on the negetive pressure. I don't do big drops. been hitting the single track 3- 4 times a week for the last month and the ride keeps getting better. If your looking for a good bike and you ride hard don't overlook the Hustler. Very similar to the fsr except for the frame I think the hustlers is better and the brakes these are mechanical disc as opposed to hydraulic on the fsr. I havn't had any problems other than some squeeking when breaking in. first adjustment took care of that.

Similar Products Used: jeckyl 800, specialized fsr
Michael Mekinda   Weekend Warrior [Aug 30, 2002]
Strength:

Looks, components, PRICE, quality, manufacturer support, PRICE!

Marzocchi shock isn't well matched to rear susp. (I'd like my old X-Vert better), ECC handle is TOO fragile (though Marzocchi sent replacements imediately). bottle cage placement is rough on the privates!

This bike is incredible! It took me a long time to decide to retire my highly modified '93 Stumpjumper, but I couldn't be happier. I did have a problem at the beginning, where I could not get rear travel. Turns out that one of the pivots had a washer that was not thick enough, so it was binding. A thicker washer solved the problem, but when I E-mailed IRONHORSE just to pass along an FYI, Todd Seplavy more than made good by replacing my frame with an '02.5 (which is even nicer!). He said that was simply not up to IRONHORSE standards.
I had not heard of IRONHORSE before I saw the ad in SUPERGO, and decided to take a chance based on price and components. I am forever sold on IRONHORSE now! I have not found anything that this bike does not do well, and I ride agressively on some very challenging singletrack throughout the NE US, as well as moderate "North Shore"-style riding in my area. I highly recommend this bike to anyone looking to upgrade! Now I just have to figure out how to afford one for my son...