Giant Warp DS 2 2002 Full Suspension

Toby   Cross Country Rider [Jun 10, 2003]
Strength:

Frame and Value.

The component set on this bike is what you'd expect for the price.

I like this bike. I had a great year with all the stock components. But this past winter I took this thing apart and upgraded nearly everything. With the new LX components this bike rocks. The stock crankset is HEAVY, DAMN HEAVY. This bike felt twice as light once i replaced it. The stock brakes kinda scared me when I really got moving but the new LX stops it cold. But i gotta say this bike never let me down last year. Nothing broke, it stode up to what I threw at it. So, i would recommend this bike to people getting into riding and as you get the cash upgrade the components, you won't be disappointed!

Bob   Weekend Warrior [Dec 02, 2001]
Strength:

Bomb-proof frame, GIANT Quality and Reputation,Looks Red/silver, upgradible, Great ride and handling

Second color choice is halloweeny orange and black,

I've ridden a Raleigh M80 for the past year. It's a great bike but can't compare with the ride of a full- suspension.
My wife and a close friend both ride older Warp DS2's and their bikes have held up to all kinds of abuse. I hung on to the hard-tail for as long as I could but am glad I made the change.
Giant puts out a great bike that won't put you near the $1,000.00 mark and offers great quality and performance. With 4" up front and 4/5" in the rear, there is not much you can't tackle. I wanted adjustability on the front end, Shimano trigger shifters, and didn't want or need disc brakes. The WARP DS2 is perfect for me. Check one out.

Similar Products Used: K2 Attack 3.0, Gary Fisher Joshua,
Jas   Weekend Warrior [Feb 24, 2002]
Strength:

Frame is near bullet proof like it's bigger brother the AC1, 2, 3, lite, and air
the HV shock hasn't bottomed out yet and I weigh in at 200 pounds standing at 6 foot 3..
Compnents are Deare and Alivio, they shift, they stop the wheels, what more could you ask for?!...they do the same job as the over-priced LX, XT and XTR junk

the biggest weakness is in the fork...drop the stock 5wt oil and gor for 10, up the psi to 25-30 and it should work out...haven't tested that out yet since I would rather ride and beat the fork silly...I am on warranty still...hahaha

but another weakness in the fork is that there is no rebound adjustment...the Judy SL does tho...GIANT! Why not put an SL on the DS2?! watch, they'll put a Judy SL on it next year!....Bottom bracket isn't a Race Face...but good news! you can put one in!......that's no prob

Giant has it going on...They know how to make a good bike..With Giant, you get more bike for your buck in that they cut the price of the DS2 by sporting it with Deore and Alivio shifters, and Deore brakes...these are definately not bad at all...they basically look a little different than XT's, LX's and XTR's and cost less...the cranck isn't any of the XT, LX or XTR commercial junk either...just straight strong enough for starting Shimanos...The frame is virtually indestructable, the shock, although a Giant in house component, is pretty good...and here's a tip...I was cleaning the shock and figured out that the rebound adjuster not only adjusts the rebound...it also adjusts ....THE COMPRESSION!!...at least my HV does...
The fork is the only thing that could have been traded for something else...like the JUDY SL...but meh...I'm gonna get a Marzocchi next year...so I couldn't care less...

All in all, this bike is not really an Entry Level bike...it's only called "entry level" for it's lower shelf Deore/Alivio parts (not xtr...whoopie doo...it still shifts for pete's sakes), the lack of disc brakes, and lower end suspension....but to any performance biker head who loves working and tweaking their bikes (like me) this bike is the best platform to build a wicked sick bike...And don't be fooled by the weight of 32 pounds...all those weight junkies will only get weaker and weaker by riding ultra light 23 pounders...I am proud to ride a heavy TOUGH bike!!

KEEP CRANKING!

Similar Products Used: The Warp rides so similarly to my buddy's 2001 AC2...only the fork bottoms out right now...
Matthew   Cross Country Rider [Feb 10, 2002]
Strength:

Value for money, handles and rides fairly well for an entry level full suspension bike.

Rear suspension (bob), factory/default upright seating position.

After much research I bought this bike based on its value for money, and bought it as my first decent bike to really get into MTB'ing. Its a good bike to get you started, its good value for money. Only downside is the bob on climbs, but you get this with the rear suspension design so its unavoidable.

The bottom line - save up the extra $$$ and buy the Warp DS1 with disc brakes and better componentry. Keep in mind the Warp is really an entry level bike (classed recreational), so its not designed to be World Cup XC or Downhill champion, ride it as its designed and you'll enjoy it.

Similar Products Used: First full susp bike apart from my old rigid Raleigh.
My new bike is a Giant XTC NRS2.
stan   Weekend Warrior [Feb 01, 2002]
Strength:

tough, upgradeable, adjustable rear, handles nice. minimal bob on the climbs...if adjusted right. and the price.

rear derailer...well pretty much the whole drive train. tune constantly. to move up to xt, you have to change it all... could use a lock out on the rear shock...little heavy

good starter bike...good price. Just got the x.t goodies on...let ya know soon how much beter she rides!

Similar Products Used: my first full susp. my hard tail is a Raleigh m80
John Reyes   Cross Country Rider [Feb 01, 2002]
Strength:

Adjustability,Upgradable,suspension options,tires,seat&headset.

8 speed,no clipless pedals,cranks.

For the money I beleive this is a great deal.This is my first long travel(over 2 in.)suspension bike,and I am not really used to the way it bobs on climbs.I lowered the rear to 4 in. travel and have almost entirely eliminated that problem.I weigh a good 235lb. and am an x football player.My body fat % is at 17%,so Im really big and solid.A "clydesdale" to be exact,but this bike has no trouble with me.I like to bomb some pretty gnarly downhills with some 10-12 foot drops and Ive heard no complaints from her(my bike).I will update this reveiw on march 1,exactly 3 months from now.Until till then,remeber-RIDE HARD and take "calculated risks".Peace ,hapiness & trail!

Similar Products Used: khs st team,trek fuel,gt I-drive
Cameron Conquer   [May 20, 2007]
Strength:

IT WILL TAKE A WHOLE LOT OF $**T. I'm a ammy mountain biker, and I have done a whole hell of a lot of stupid things on this bike... and crashed a lot too. It just takes the crap and keeps going.

I bought this bike from someone up in the Thunderbay area, and he upgraded all of the week points. It was used though, so I had to repair and replace a couple parts.

This bike is awsome. It isn't the best bike I've ever riden on, but for sure it isn't the worse. Its great for free ridn', drops, jumps, etc. It is a perfect bike for someone who wants to get into the sport of mountain biking.

Similar Products Used: none.
Wes Burdulis   Weekend Warrior [Oct 12, 2002]
Strength:

Duribility,warrenty,adaptible to many parts,price$$

lack of back travel,not good for hard riding

The bottom line is that my DS 2 has been great and I recomend it to someone who who wants to have a great time mountin biking some intermediate terain. I do not recomend this bike to a hardcore rider.

Similar Products Used: none
John Ram   Weekend Warrior [Apr 28, 2003]
Strength:

The stock tires are fat 2.4 which makes sand easier to ride. Shimmano Deore rear derailer works excellent. The bike is very nimble and easy to manuver through technical areas.

Broke 8th gear on the cassett, brakes could be stronger but work alright. Rear derailler chatters a lot over jumps or rockie areas. Rear suspension sags a lot when pedaling.

This bike is worth the low price tag and will enable you to keep with more expensive set-ups but, for a little more money you can bur an NRS which is supperior.