Giant AC Air 2002 Full Suspension

AC Air

hanser102   Weekend Warrior [May 09, 2009]
Strength:

strong frame/fairly lite

stock back shock does not hold up and overal back shock setup does not hold up to 30 ft gaps
bent rear shock twice and broke both bolts atleast 3 times
recommend aftermarket rear shock/hard to find

good for cross country but doesnt hold up for big gaps or drops,especialy back suspension

Similar Products Used: bighit,cannondale prophet
Jon   Weekend Warrior [Aug 18, 2003]
Strength:

Price, value, fork, drivetrain, Durability, stiff clean looking frame.

Mutano Raptors dont grip enogh. Spokes.

I found this bike very cheap, and even though some of the components seemed a little more cross country oriented then i wanted, i decided to buy it anyway and replace them as they broke. Much to my surprise, a year later and the bike is still mostly stock. I expected to have a new fork, rear shock, wheelset by now, but not so. This bike is super beefy. Even after two serious crashes involving fork on tree impacts, the fork still feels as nice as the day i bought it. I did, however blow both of the seals in the fork over the summer. I love the feel of this bike. It makes me want to ride all the time. The travel change in back makes a huge difference. In 4.5 inches it really does climb like an XC bike, and in 6 it feels like a free-ride bike on the descents.
I'm not sure if this is the fault of giant or my bike shop, but the bike was built with 15 guage spokes. After a year of riding, the front wheel was so flexy that the tread rubs on the brake arch of the fork, and the rear wheel is equally flexy, though there is so much clearance it isnt much of a problem, just doesnt track terribly well anymore.

This bike is truly an all mountian bike.

This bike is good for anyone who needs to climb, but also wants to have a plush, long travel feel on the downhill.

Similar Products Used: Specialized enduro, kona stinky.
Rafael Ertel   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2003]
Strength:

The AC Air is a good climber. I was pleasantly suprised the the first time I hit a real climb, this is in comparison to my old hardtail which was light and fast, and RED! The suspension system in general works. Feels great over roots, and fast rocky descents. The brakes are powerful and the rims seem to be holding up.

Like many have stated the seatpost just won't stot its insistant creekinging, I also, like many swapped out the tires.

I am very happy with this bike. I do not race so I do not worry to much about the weight. I ride primarily to stay in shape so the weight just makes me work harder:) If you can still find an AC Air and are looking for a go anywhere ride, this is the one.

Neil   Cross Country Rider [May 27, 2003]
Strength:

Parts mix and value for price paid.

Seatpost creak and Avids require mucho adjusting.

You can't find a sweeter spec'd bike for the money, and it "ain't all show, no go" either! I've only got about 2 seasons of "real" riding under my belt and this bike has done more to improve my skills than I could have reasonably expected. Haven't had any of the problems others have (except as noted above), but I ain't no mongo huckster either. This bike is more than capable of taking everything I can dish out and then some. Wanted a go anywhere, do anything ride that will be with me for the long haul and that's EXACTLY what I got. Ride in the 4" mostly and have no problems climbing, descending, etc. (except for ones I create myself . . . ). Put it in 6" for trails like Preston and just glide, glide, glide. As for the complaints on the paint, maybe I'm just crazy but - it's an aluminum framed MOUNTAIN bike!!!!! What possible harm can a few paint chips do????? If it's still shiny you ain't riding anywhere near hard enough folks.

Similar Products Used: Tried Sugar 3 and NRS 3
C0NRADone   [Feb 11, 2003]
Strength:

.: Triple Gussets
.: Manitou Black Elite 100/120 Fork

.: Crappy seatpost shim
.: Poorly built wheelset
.: Presta valves

Kick ass bike - period!

This bike is definitely an All Conditions machine. The Manitou fork provides more adjustability than most riders will ever need. Climbers can practically lock-out the rear shock by turning the rebound knob clockwise until it stops. Screw climbing - I keep mine set on Cadillac mode. The Avids are second to none. I loved 'em so much I decided to upgrade to the 8" versions.

Other than the crappy MutanoRaptor rubbers and the silly seatpost shim, I really don't have anything to complain about. Many others seem to do well with the Sun Rhyno wheelset that comes factory with the AC Air. Perhaps I received a set that a novice wheelsmith experimented on.

I love this bike more than I love my girl. I give it 5 bloody tampons all around!

Mikey O   Weekend Warrior [Jan 17, 2007]
Strength:

Super beefy frame with gussets in all the right place, time proven suspension design, sealed bearings on all pivots, fairly light (31 lbs), adjustable travel on rear

Crappy race-face chain rings and low end BB failed quickly, hated the stock Manitou Black Elite fork (maybe just me, but it left me on my face after a double at Plattekill...ow)

I took this bike downhilling in Plattekill the day after I bought it in '03 (yup...bad idea) and it took a beating with no complaints. Also been abused at Killington, Diablo FR Park in Mountain Creek, NJ, and Snowshoe, WV, with many Pennsylvania XC miles on it. Still like this bike alot and the suspension design is one of the few that is finding it's way onto alot of other bikes these days. Can downhill one day and go for a 22 mile XC ride the next. I started shopping for a new bike last month and decided to just fix up this one... it's that good.

Similar Products Used: Jamis Dakar Expert, Trek Fuel, Jamis Dakar Comp
Brandon Gleason   Weekend Warrior [Mar 12, 2002]
Strength:

-Suprisingly plush for air
-Avids are very powerfull and work great
-Ajustable travel is great
-Great climber on any of the settings
-Manitou Black fork works well
-Great deal!!!(even without prodeal)

-Titec Hellbent bar has no rise
-Knobs on Manitou Black fork get knocked out of place easily

This is a great bike for the money. It is a good climber and can be sued for downhill,freeride or XC. Buy this bike if you like to do a little bit of everything and want a quality bike.

Similar Products Used: Kona Bear, Marin Rocksprings
JB   Downhiller [Mar 13, 2002]
Strength:

Versatility

After having the bike for over three months, I've found myself in situations where a dual crown fork would be really nice, but the inability to put one on without voiding the warrantee, is about the only thing I didn't like

I love the versatility that this bike provides. Even though I have three linkage settings, it mainly stays in the 6in. postiton because I've been riding a lot of urban lately. When in the 5.15in. position, it's a killer on the trails. I've switched a number of things out as I figured out what I liked. The Hellbent risers went in favor of a set of Easton EA50's. The clipless had to go--I replaced them with some Primo magnesiun flats. Also on the chopping block were the stock springs in the Manitou fork. After a lengthy wait(1 1/2 months)I finally received my firm ride spring. This helped considerably as the stock springs(red) were for skinny punks(160lbs.). I plan on switching the forks to a Marzocchi DJ1 when I wear the Black down. Up next is the SID air shock in the rear. I'm waiting on a Stratos Expert coil over as I write this. Not that the SID wasn't doing the job well---I felt that with all the drops and jumps I've been doing, it's bound to take its toll sooner or later. The MutanoRaptor 2.4 are really nice, but I got a deal on some Nokian 2.6's, so off they went. I took the 44t ring off and put a bashguard on the middle chainring as well. I may upgrade to the EVIL two chainring guide system as the budget permits. Also on the to-do list is the BETD swingarm plates that would give me a plush seven inches of travel in the rear!!

I've had a blast tinkering with this bike! Everything I've upgraded to, only made a great bike greater. It takes the motherload of punishment and asks for more. The AVID mechanicals do nothing but get stronger the more you use them, and the transmission is top notch. Go buy one today.

Jerry Quesnel   Cross Country Rider [Mar 07, 2002]
Strength:

Plush, high bottom bracket, great components, very good service, does everything

hubs but Giant upgraded to XT

This bike does everything well and nothing extraordinarily. It is a FUN ride. Easily adjustable, fabulous components (the Black is great), not too heavy, terrific price. A hard bike to not like. You wouldn't race it if you want to contend, but it would be fabulous for 24 hour type events and as your everyday machine.
Ask about which components Giant is currently upgrading. They did my hubs due to a problem with breakage.
I don't think you can do better in an All Conditions type of bike.