Ellsworth Truth 2002 Full Suspension

• Compatible with 80 to 100mm travel forks

• USER REVIEWS

[Jul 04, 2002]
    Chris

Strength:

smooth and stable over any obstacle. nearly no lateral flex. jumps off the start

does not have quite enough rear travel for large hits, but if it did they would call it an Id

First off i love ellsworth's customer service. I can call or e-mial Cathy and get any info or stickers i need. All you who dont belive me that their customer service is top notch, buy a trek or whatever and see how many follow up calls or invitations to moab rides you get. So first off its a great company. Second, the bike is a cross country dream. I started off riding with a an 80mm front shock to get a stiffer and more controlled feel out of the bike then moved to a 100mm travel and the frame loves both rides. With low travel and fast rebound it is a stiff but forgiving racer. The rear end plants itself on the ground after every bump to ensure no loss of speed. The frame handles like a hardtial and absorbes tough terrian at the same time. Setup for raceing the bike wieghed in around 24 lbs.
    With more travel up front it becomes a super plush border line freeride bike. I can take 10-12 foot drops with the bike and although it doesn't exactly love it, it will withstand the abuse while takeing that hard neck snapping edge off.

everyone tells me the superlight feels about the same

[Mar 17, 2002]
    Scott Wien

Strength:

Are you kidding? Gorgeous welds, Light weight, Strong, Candy Apple Red Paint, Quiet, and a smooth plush ride!

O.K ...perhaps the price. But when something truly fits and is of this quality...you do seem to get what you pay for.

I am in awe of this bike. First off - I purchased the Special Addition Paint (Candy Apple Red) just beautiful! The welds are a work of art. 4” inches of incredibly smooth travel with little or no bobbing. Did I say how light this frame is?

O.K this is the 100mile report! Not that I am a great peddler…but this configuration climbs like a goat and you will find yourself traveling at speeds with a comfort level that will make you laugh. The Romic sucks up bumps and keeps the rear wheel planted wherever you go. By the way go with the ROMIC - I can't speak to the light weight XC riders but I am 205lbs and 6'2" - I tried to dial in Cane Creek Air Shock - just could not get the combo worked out. I swapped it out for the Romic - spent 10mins on the phone with Jimmy at Romic - and in 15 mins I was on my way -dialed in perfect!

Another reviewer wrote about the ability to literally point and shoot while riding the truth...BELIEVE US – it’s just the way it is. I found the combination BB height, suspension travel ( 4” rear and 100mm up front), and over-all geometry to be perfect in the NJ XC world where I do most of my riding.

I purchased this bike from Mike at Beyondbikes.com - Great guy, great customer service solid price ...and has real world first hand knowledge of the Ellsworth Products. Besides it was kind of cool to see your bike being built via the Web Cam.

Bottom Line - If you don't believe me...write me with specific questions. But if you have the pesos...and are searching for a high end, high performance XC machine that will take on the harsh trails and push your riding skills to the next level…search out the TRUTH!

Giant NRS Air, Klein Adpet Pro, Specialized FSXR, Cannondale Jeckyl

[Feb 13, 2003]
    Peter

Strength:

Climbs great, Plush on the downhills, Great on XC rides, Looks awsome!!!

None so far.

This is a great performer for all off road terrain. If your looking for comfort reliability and performance this bike is for you. Get the best custom build at beyondbikes.com they know how set it up right.

Schwinn S20 Raleigh M10

[Oct 01, 2002]
    Kent Merritt

Strength:

Excellent suspension design borrowed from automobile type, very light and strong, perfect welds, anodized finish, other improvements for this 2002 year frame

None so far that I can see - I'll keep you posted.

This bike totally rocks! It feels very fast as it glides over the earth's crust. I can look down and there it is - the crust - but I don't feel it! It's blowing my mind! I can adjust the suspension rebound and compression damping so that it actually feels like its propelling me slightly forward each time I hit a bump or swell in the track. The Romic rear coil shock is amazing in terms of adjustablilty when paired with this frame - rear coils are recommended with an 'active' design. The Fox RLC air shock is very rigid (32mm tubes) and provides for pinpoint steering accuracy. Lately, I can be seen almost every day riding the gray Truth at CA State Park Wilder Ranch - an 8 mile fairly flat loop next to the ocean with extensive hilly trails in the Santa Cruz hills on the other side of the old barn. See you out there!

GT I Drive w/uprated components; Specialized, Trek and Schwinn hard tails

[Feb 17, 2002]
    A.C.

Strength:

Very active
    Light weight
    No bobbing
    Very responsive
    Looks great

None, well expensive.

I was a longtime holdout to go to fullsuspension I just liked my hardtail. I saw no reason to switch because my legs were good enuff suspension. Well my bike got stolen and I was really pissed off untill I got my insurence settlement, then I decided to make the switch because most of my friends were. It was the best mtb decision I've made,It's like night and day I'll nevr go back to hardtail again.The Truth is such a smooth ride and it's hard to believe but a better climber than my old zaskar was because the rear wheel keeps tracking over any turain. One draw back if you want to call it one is you will need to use your brakes more because of the extra speed your going to get downhilling its very fast and just soaks up the bumbs. I've tryed only 2 other full suspension bikes on brief rides and I have to say the Truth is better hands down. Just wish it wasent so damn expensive for the frame.Thats why i'm giving it only 4 flaming turds for value rating not performance.

MY first Full suspension, but I've rode my friends specialized stumpjumper FSR xc and santacruz superlight

[Feb 01, 2002]
    Taylor Lyne

Strength:

Weight,Rear swing arm, New support design for rocker arm.

Wished they made an extra large model.

Had a problem with the 2001 frame. snapped it in half just above the front derailer. Press. was set prop. on ad-12. I bought the bike used and did not have a warranty card. Bike was less than 2 months old.Sent the bike back with proper letter and 2weeks later Ellsworth sent a new 2002. I have read a lot of reviews on Ellsworths customer service. The new frame showed me that They where going to stand behind their work. The Bike Flys and climbs like a Irish Goat. Its my dream bike. Ride-on Ellsworth. Signed Customer 4-life.Ps John 3-16

2001 Ellsworth

[Jul 01, 2002]
    Denise

Strength:

Looks, solid handling, the linkage design keeps the bike steady underneath

This is the fourth Ellsworth in our household, and the people at Ellsworth wouldn't send me a hat. I guess I'll have to wear my Klein hat after riding!

This is my 1st FS bike, after 14 years on hardtails I was leery about the bike feeling squirrely. Not this bike! I rode it over rocks, roots, logs and stacks, and the bike went where I wanted it to, and stayed solidly underneath me. I'm very light, so there was absolutely no problem with pedal stroke flex. I ride all over the East Coast, and am out every weekend as well as a couple of days a week. Although I don't care to race, I like a challenging ride with hills and obstacles. This bike performed better than I could have hoped. The guys and gals at Speedgoat helped me put it together, and I must say, that as well as handling great, the bike looks sweet. Ellsworth has gone to gradient tubing in the top tube, and it also gives it a sleeker look. They were also great with fitting the bike and components to me and my style of riding. Definitely an excellent group to deal with! I'll be taking it to Moab this summer, so I'll update then.

demoed- Titus RacerX, Santa Cruz Julianna, also ride a Klein Attitude("96), Klein Fervor, Kona Cinder Cone

[Sep 10, 2002]
    paul warren

Strength:

smooth ride,great look,seams that it cant be broken.

none.

this bike totaly kicks a$$. I have beat the crap out of it for two years and have not had a single problem. Every time I get on it the bike brings a smile to my face. I have jumped this bike off of six foot walls to flat ground continuously with no problems.

gary fisher pro cal, gary fisher sugar, giant rincon.

[Sep 28, 2003]
    StevenD

Strength:

Character; warranty; technical climbing; stable descending; anodized finish

$- but you get what you pay for.

I've put about a 1000 off road miles on my Truth this summer; time for a report. The first thing that must be said is that my bike has "character" and was made in the USA. It is all about the ride of this bike- my third F/S bike and probably my last. My second F/S bike was an ISIS SL- awesome bike but decided this year to upgrade. For the record, my first F/S bike was a 1998 Specialized FSR. The Truth is the best of the 3 but doesn't beat the ISIS by much. The FSR is a distant 3rd.

When I bought the first Ellsworth a couple of years ago it was because I didn't want another frame welded by a 12 year old in a Taiwan sweat shop (read FSR). I wanted and got a bike with character...no different with the Truth.

The terrain I ride is mixed mud, rocks and roots (welcome to New England).
    This Truth is efficient, great handling and maintenance free. The climbing performance is excellent. This is particularly true in steep technical situations due to the precise handling and traction afforded by the suspension. Descending ability is awesome; get off the brakes and hang on.

I am heavy at 190 lbs and run the ROMIC. It is essentially bob free; and is super plush with good small bump responsiveness, no bottoming, and good rebound contol.

The bike is built up as a solid trailbike (guessing 28 lbs) and I have had no problems. The frame is light but not stupid light and has held up well to the terrain listed above and my fat a**. Did I mention mud earlier? Other than maintaining the drivetrain and keeping things tight- NO MAINTENANCE.

It costs a lot of dough but if you ride alot in demanding conditions it is worth every penny.

FSR (owned); ISIS- SL (owned); demo'ed many other F/S rigs

[Apr 28, 2003]
    Art Laforteza

Strength:

Anodized frame, Romic shock(plush), SRAM XO, "climbs like a scalded monkey" with no lockout ever needed, fast and responsive decender

Of course price but after demoing bike, that was a none issue!

I have raced and done several 24 hr races with my fully loaded GT i-drive at 24lbs and I love my bike. BUT, when I demo'ed the 2003 Truth from Ellsworth at the 24hrs of Adrenaline at Castaic...I was very impressed and jealous! After speaking with the Ells reps before the race to get the skinny on this "instant center tracking" and the Romic shock I was interested in judging for myself what the hype was on this tech and why Ells was touting they were the ultimate endurance bike set-up (Ells is offical bike of 24hr of Adren.) ELLSWORTH is the REAL DEAL! I was part of a 2 man team that weekend and after my 8th lap, I gave it a go and boy did the TRUTH shine. Fast and responsive decender and incredibly efficient climber with no rear wheel slippage on the tough single track climbs at Castaic. I was dead tired but re-vitalized on the TRUTH! I was bummed I had to give her back to the reps after 2 laps. Romic is the rear shock of choice with the ti springs in 2004. Can't wait to demo again in 3 weeks at Laguna Seca 24hr! This will be my next bike very soon! Thanks to Ells reps for terrific sponsorship of 24hr racing, knowledge, and customer service! (definitely check them out at the events)

GT i-Drive, Sugar 1, Specialized FSR