Ellsworth Isis 2002 Full Suspension

• Compatible with 80 to 100mm travel forks

• USER REVIEWS

[Mar 24, 2002]
    David

Strength:

The bike goes where it is pointed, it looks great, rides great, easy to maintain

None, it creaks a little, make sure to get a coil shock if you weigh over 200 pounds

Just a ditto to the last review, especially about Speedgoat. They are the best place to buy a bike period. Talk to Chris he knows his business, plus their customer service is top notch after you buy the bike (they are replacing my air shock with a coil one for free)...the bike is really nice, it is hard to match front and rear, I wish they did make the Joker in an XL...regardless, this thing can handle five foot drops easily (I wasn't so lucky and suffered a concussion)...on the trail, this bike does nothing but instill confidence. Sections of my local trail that I used to brake down feverously, I now bomb down and tear up with no remorse. The bike is heavy (mine is around 28 lbs) so it doesn't climb like a billy-goat. Yet, the suspension induced bobbing isn't too bad (especially if you slow the rebound on the shock)...I imagine that it will improve with a coil over unit. That is the other thing, if you are planning on buying this bike and weigh over 200 lbs, it is a must with the coil over. I weigh 220 sag far into the travel although I have yet to bottom out the suspension unit. This bike runs great with FOX Vanilla 125, which raises the front end if you are into drops and jumps (makes getting the bike into a wheelie easier)I couldn't ask for a better bike, it does everything that a trail rider could want, plus a little freeriding, furthermore, if you are into racing, you can spec this bike way light for you leg shaving lycra types...regardless ride hard, ride arn! David

Turner XCE, Superlight

[Mar 09, 2002]
    Adam

Strength:

XL frame fits BIG riders like me - strength, simplicity, and it does go UP the trail very well.

-Why dosen't Ellsworth make the Joker in the XL?!?!? Same frame without the extra shock mount....
    -Don't get to big with the front shock travel!

Thanks to everyone at Speedgoat, I have this wonderful bike to ride. Chris has made some modifications to the rear suspension connection to the swingarm to make it not creak. Ellsworth sells this bike with the Romic shock as an option, but hasn't worked out the bugs for the fit. Speedgoat cought this with another man's Isis and fixed it with some washer/spacers between the swingarm mount and the Romic - then applied it to mine. Watch out for that!

Ellsworth really made a great bike, but could have made some more $ from me if they put out the Joker in an XL.

If you want a bike that will support a 6'4, 265lb human, is easy to maintain, and responds to a pedal pounding without much bob at all; this is the bike for you. Yea - I have only been out on this thing almost every day for the last 2 months, but it instills confidence, and it was very easy to get used to.

Another tip from Speedgoat - I went with only a 32 tooth large cog in the back because of problems with the Shimano derailleur pulley riding on 34 tooth cogs. I think as it was explained to me, the b tension screw lip on the Isis's hanger is not set up enough to get the derailleur pulley off that cog. I just went with the 32t route, but Speedgoat sells a CNCed hanger for the Isis that I think will acomodate the 34t.

The coilover Romic shock was basically a must for me. It took some breaking in, but that didn't take long with me. VERY adjustable.

I have a 130mm travel front fork. With the geometry of the bike and sag, the front rake is rather relaxed. Sometimes I feel that I need a power assist to get the bars over. That is my fault though, as I wanted the travel.

it is not a free ride bike, but I do some aggressive jumping and rockgarden riding. It has been able to handle everything that I can throw at it.

Great bike for a big guy. And I have to say, Speedgoat is a wonderful place to get a bike for a big guy - or anyone. They will not let you go in the wrong direction on bike selection! If Speedgoat wouldn't have put together this bike for me, the value rating would have one less chili!

demo'ed some FS C-dales....

[Oct 30, 2002]
    Dave

Strength:

The ride! Build construction and attention to detail.

Chain slap noise

When looking to finally get a full suspension rig, I test rode a Santa Cruz Superlight, Specialized FSR, Specialized Enduro, Gary Fisher Sugar 2, Yeti Kokopelli, Trek Fuel and Kona Mokomoko. I'm 6'/160 lbs, and for me, the Isis owned all these bikes. Here around Denver, almost all good trails have LOTS of climbing up very loose rocky conditions, and the Isis climbs like a mountain goat. My current setup weighs around 3 lbs more than my '96 Kona Lavadome, but on my first ride with the Isis I was able to ride up and over stuff I had never even come close to making.

I have a friend who also owns this bike, who's more into freeriding/urban assult and wishes he had more travel. I'm more of a pure XC rider who likes to climb technical stuff as well as go downhill fast, and this is the perfect bike for me. I look forward to riding this bike for a very long time.

[Oct 08, 2002]
    vt REVIEW for ISIS SL

Strength:

reasonably light, nice design, exceptionally well balanced, stiff in the rear, simple 1 pivot, very little bob even with a coil, good ionized powder finish

sloppy welds

the glaring problem occurred when i snapped the swingarm clean in half just by bobbing around the park one day. i am 150 and this happened in the first 500m...sigh. S**t happens, right? ellsworth stood behind it, got a new swingarm. everyone in their cs is pretty cool; they give alright technical too. so i got a new swingarm; they said they redesigned it. i think they're telling the truth-- almost all chain rub was eliminated and looks like they doubled up on the aluminum toothpaste around the infamous pivot weld.

so aside from all those little hangups...i love this bike. it's just fun. i built a steel hardtail while it was being repaired and i dig the 23lbs, but this bike is so much more fun. i had it built to a 25lb bike at first, and that was all wrong. this is a trail bike, it needs the weight. i agree with most reviews here: it's performnace in every class is superb; overall, definitely a very, very well designed bike. save for the broken swingarm, may well have rated it perfect.

[Nov 25, 2002]
    Chris

Strength:

Tight frame, point and shoot. Begs to go faster, faster, you can do it

A little difficult to mount on a bike rack.

This bike is tight. Feels even lighter than its 28 lbs. Fast over most obstacles. I'm 6'1" 225lbs and have the large frame so tight 180's are a little difficult, but they are for everyone. This bike was made for me. I launch it off of 5 foot drops with out hesitation...fun. the chain does slap the swingarm. I just can't bring my self to put a piece of tubing around the swing arm to stop it. You could build this bike lighter with some weight conscience parts. I went for durability and price. I recommend this bike for everyone its money well spent. Ellsworth called me personally to see how I liked the bike and if I had any questions. Wow! Its like going to my local bike shop.

Have a DBR X-2, Kona King Kikapu

[Nov 17, 2002]
    tammy

Strength:

great single pivot design. great for small ppl with low stand over height, craftmanship

makes you leave work early...... can't get anyting done at the office.

if you are looking for an ultimate single pivot riding machine... look no further. the desing is very versityle, I have seen them bulit up at 23 lbs as well as 29+ lbs depending on your style of riding. it climbs better than a lot of 4link designs and is trully 100 % pedal efficient.

sc jullina

[Jul 29, 2002]
    Shelley

Strength:

I love everything about this bike. I am a small woman and I finally found a bike that fit and that was light enough for me to throw around. No bob, climbs incredible, and enough travel to let me catch the boys downhill.

None!

Killer bike, worth every penny. This will last me a long time, great investment.

Gary Fischer Sugar 4
    Canondale Jeckyl

[Mar 28, 2002]
    Sean

Strength:

Stiffness, ride, simplicity, weight (yes, weight), ridiculous mud clearance.

Price. Then again, nobody made me buy it. Ellsworth's inability to produce an XL Joker.

Great bike for the big guy (and anyone else). Me? 6'3", 230-240# depending on season. Far more stout than my prior bikes. Can't be coil/oil if you're a large rider...even for XC-only. Complete deal still only 28# with coil shock/fork, disc brakes, XL frame, 2.3 tires and not-so-light other parts. After a couple small miscues with my suspension (Romic and Fox remedied immediately), this has been a great bike so far. Will write more as the miles rack up.

Note to Ellsworth: Build an XL Joker and see your sales and profitability rise.

5 for value as its the best, burly FS bike with a 25" TT that I could find. 5 overall because it's that good.

Finally, thanks to the folks at Speedgoat for their help and ongoing service.

FSR XC, FSR Enduro, GT i-drive, Norco, Heckler, Superlight, etc.

[Feb 09, 2003]
    Scott Scotty

Strength:

Quality,original styling.Simplicity of rear suspension not too many around so it makes you feel special and attractive to female bikers

Decals come off easily when washed and the final finish off the bike is not what i expected.The paint between the top tube and the down tube isnt finished correctly.Minor details but still annoying.

I wanted a bike with more travel than my specialized but still wanted something quick and responsive.The Isis felt long at first but now feels extremely stable,it climbs efficiently and the rear suspension gets better the faster you go.The bike isnt set up as a super light X country machine but more for going down fast and attacking the famous UK single track rides.I, at first wished i had gone for the Anodised paint job but then i crashed it into a rock last week and scratched it so i'm not bothered now.Buy an Isis and spec it to whatever your riding style is,you wont be disappointed

Specialized stump jumper FSR

[Sep 27, 2002]
    john

Strength:

All around performance, build quality, frame design

water can get into the frame while washing if not careful at the intersection of where the top and bottom tubes meet near the front of the frame. water then leaks out through the rear pivots. Removal of the seatpost and tipping the bike upside down gets rid of the water. Washing the bike right side up and avoiding hard spray to this area negates the problem.

This bike is an awesome all around performer. The bike's extemely strong on singletrack and downhills. The bike is excellent uphill,though not a sprinter. The bike is just over 27 lbs. built w a fair amount of light expensive parts. It is ok for the occasional race, but a serious racer in expert class or above will opt for something lighter. I like the low standover height w the high bb. The bike is fun and confidence inspiring. The ellsworth isis sl is a high quality do it all bike. Set it up for your style of riding and you will not be dissapointed.

klien mantra, cannondale super v