Smart Wool MTB Socks

Wool MTB

SmartWool MTB Socks

stumblemumble   Weekend Warrior [May 17, 2011]
Strength:

NO STINK!
Comfy
Durable
Machine washable wool

Price, though worth it.

Love them. I own like 6 pair, bought a ton when I saw them on sale at REI. I've used them over three years and just noticed on my oldest pair that they're getting thin at the toe, finally wearing out. I wear them DAILY. Not just for riding, they are my day to day socks.

teelow   Cross Country Rider [Oct 10, 2010]
Strength:

Super comfortable. Works well in summer and winter.

I love these socks. I have about six pairs now. I have some low-rise but preffer the crew length because they protect my ankles and calves from scratches better. I wear them in summer because they breath well, and in winter because they stay warm. During one winter ride, I broke through some ice and got my feet soaked (it was about 20 degrees F out). I took my shoes off, wrung out the socks, and kept riding. My feet stayed warm enough that I was able to keep riding without numb toes! Worth the somewhat high cost, for sure.

Similar Products Used: Sock guy. Pearl Izumi
Grindmonkey7   Weekend Warrior [Dec 04, 2008]
Strength:

Comfort, holds its shape.

Some may say price. I say none.

For my feet the greatest socks on the planet. Smartwool Rocks. I have 2 pair both are wonderful. So smooth and comfortable. for my feet nothing could be finer than Smartwool. These socks retain their shape after years of use and repeated washing and drying. Something special about the inherent nature of
Merino wool. Created by nature and fantastic next to the skin. You can't go wrong, try these, because of the wool. You will not be sorry, even more you will be completely satisfied.

Similar Products Used: Sock Guy, Save Our Souls
Don Carriere   Cross Country Rider [Feb 14, 2002]
Strength:

Quality construction and material

None so far...

Thank you MTB Review... That's how I got turned on to these AWESOME socks! I had no idea! These socks are the bomb! ( I can't believe I can be so passionate about socks).

They work for ALL seasons. Wool in summer? Absolutely! Wool in winter? Of course! Itchy? No way, they're soft and nice. They don't sweat... they just feel comfortable.

I just ordered 3 more pair, so that I'll always have a pair ready to ride. Once you go to SmartWool, you'll never go back...really.

--- Dual Mega Chili's for this great product! ---

Similar Products Used: Thorlo, Pearl Izumi
David   Weekend Warrior [Feb 01, 2002]
Strength:

Soft, warm, comfortable. Warm, soft, comfortable. Comfortable, warm, soft.

zilch. Well, they're not available with clever graphics around the ankles...

I've been riding all winter, down to temps in the low 20s, and I wear SmartWool's Hiking socks under my year-round shoes (Specialized Sport Mountains). I finally broke down and got some booties after my toes got chilly at those temps. When the temp is in the 30s, my feet feel perfectly warm!

These socks are great. They are not only warm, they are soft and fuzzy (so they feel good) and they wick away moisture.

I'm planning to stock up on thinner cycling-specific SmartWool socks for the warmer months. And I'll be sticking with these for cold weather riding. They're wonderful.

Similar Products Used: Cotton athletic socks
Scot   Racer [Jan 23, 2002]
Strength:

NEVER TO WARM OR TO COLD, EXTRMELY DURABLE

NONE

EXCELLENT PRODUCT REGARDLESS OF WEATHER OR LOCATION, SO GOOD I ONLY OWN SMARTWOOL SOCKS FOR EVERYDAY USE. I WOULD BET AS THE WORD SPREADS MORE AND MORE CYCLISTS WILL CROSSOVER TO WOOL. IT IS SUPER COMFORTABLE AND NOT ITCHY!

Similar Products Used: Defeet
Ryan   Cross Country Rider [Jul 10, 2001]
Strength:

Oh, the Wooly Love!! They're never too hot or too cold, always juuust right. Even when soaking wet (rain or sweat) they're comfy. If you ride in the rain you want wool socks, trust me!

They can stretch a bit out of shape. That's why I machine dry mine, they shrink just right to stretch back onto my foot and not get floppy.

Sheep know what's up! I've got lots of Smartwools and I dig 'em all. I really stopped using the MTB sock once I tried the short-top running socks, which are thinner and work even better at keeping the hot dogs happy. All the synthetics (a la DeFeet) will eventually get more and more uncomfortable as they age. My smartwools are 3 years old and still running strong. I don't know what I'm going to do to get more of these, since I don't have the shop discount anymore....

Similar Products Used: Thor-Lo, other synthetics
David Tsang   Cross Country Rider [Sep 19, 2000]
Strength:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO COMFORTABLE!!!
SOOOOOOOOOOOOO SOFT!
Keeps your feet dry and non-stinky!
Foot-arch support is nice.
Good for hot/cold weather

A wee bit pricey

I own 12 pairs of these socks and I intend to buy more. These are the MOST comfortable socks I have ever worn. They feel soooo soft on your feet and the foot arch support is a very nice touch. The wool is merino wool which is one of the highest grades of wool. The socks keep your feet dry (hence they don't stink). I wear these socks to work everyday. Definitely get these socks! The only thing is that they are kind of expensive, but in my opinion, they're worth every cent.

Similar Products Used: Performance cool-max socks
BC   Cross Country Rider [Sep 19, 2000]
Strength:

Soft, comfortable at all temps, durable

I have 4 pairs that I have used over the past year. They have been through numerous washings & dryings. I've worn them in 20 degree temps and 95 degree temps and have never had any problems. They tend to dry quickly after getting wet. I've done several 24 hour races and 100 mile races in them (including too many hike-a-bike sections) and have never gotten a blister or been uncomfortable. I highly recommend them. The best compliment I can give them is that I don't think about my socks.