Porelle Porelle Drys Socks

Porelle Porelle Drys

Dusty   Weekend Warrior [Nov 24, 2003]
Strength:

Haven't found any

Waterproofing

These simply don't work. In heavy rain (8 deg cent.) took about 25 minutes before my feet were like blocks of ice. I think better to invest your money in a good pair of neoprene overshoes rather than socks. Maybe this sock's failing is that water probably wicks in from the top and eventually saturates inside, and the thermo dynamic transfer properties after that are bad, unlike neoprene. Maybe if they were tucked in under tights or trousers then that might explain why some people haven't had problems.

Similar Products Used: None
Tim   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 19, 1999]
Strength:

Waterproof, warm, comfy, hardwearing.

Insides take ages to dry after washing, expensive.

Wonderful - widely available in the UK, but not sure about the rest of the world.....

Similar Products Used: Goretex over socks, Planet X Neoprene over shoes.
Mark Assinder   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 10, 2000]
Strength:

They do everything they say on the packet!

Stitching around the to is poor and inclined to undo.

Excelent product, I went to the shop to get a pair of expensive Lake MX 300s winter shoes and came out with these having saved a packet. I just use these with a pair of Mx 200 summer shoes and my feet are toasty and dry.

Micke   [Nov 17, 2000]
Strength:

Windproof, thick material, keeps most of the water out...

Crucial to get the right size - not very stretchable material, seams undo, they don't "breathe" very well - my footsweat doesn't get out....
Price.

These socks won't keep your feet dry if:
-your feet sweat a lot
-you use 'em in watery conditions...
BUT they will keep your feet warm, which is fine by me...

Similar Products Used: Ordinary plastic bags - lighter, cheaper, not as warm or durable ;-)
John   Cross Country Rider [Apr 04, 2000]
Strength:

Great concept and advertising. Good product awareness among cyclists. Keeps your feet dry for about 10 minutes of moderate rain or through puddles etc.

So thick it doesn't actually mould to your foot. Distinctly weird to wear until you put shoes over the top.

Only keeps your feet dry for about 10 minutes of moderate rain.

For what they don't do, they're expensive.

If you're planning to splash 'em fine. If you're planning to keep your feet dry for a longer period try something else. I will be.

MAT MULLEN   [Mar 15, 2000]
Strength:

KEEPS YOUR FEET DRY

PRICE

THEY KEEP MY FEET DRY, HOWEVER MY FEET ARE TOTALLY FROZEN IN WINTER RIDING ONCE THE OUTER OF THE SOCK GETS WET. THEY SAY THAT THEY ARE THERMAL BUT I HAVE MY DOUBTS. PERHAPES THE CUT OF MY SHOES IS A BIT TIGHT & CUTS OFF THE BLOOD FLOW, BUT IN DRY WEATHER MY FEET ARENT COLD SO WHATS GOING ON?

Alan L   Cross Country Rider [Feb 16, 2000]
Strength:

This is actually a praise for Customer Service at Porelle(Porvair).
I used a pair of ankle length socks on quite a few wet days, as there is in Scotland, and on a few occasions my feet got soaked, I emailed Porelle with this and they tested them, even though they found them to be 100% waterproof they sent me a replacement pair of calf lengths as a matter of goodwill.
What more can I say I now have warm, dry feet again!!!!
Thanks Porelle!

None really..price if I must pick something. You can always pick up a pair in a sale though.

Socks are Spot-on, only if there is heavy rain I would say get the calf lengths under longs rather than ankle lengths.

Similar Products Used: None
mack   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 09, 1999]
Strength:

thick and very comfortable,does'nt leave your feet loose in your shoes

i don't know if i'm doing something wrong but they don't keep my feet dry,a few puddles and the water is straight thru my mx200's and onto my feet,quite cold in the winter.

i will buy another pair as i'm gettin a pair of mxz300's soon for the winter,and the comfort factor is too good to miss!

Richard Burt   Cross-Country Rider [Nov 29, 1999]
Strength:

Warm, waterproof, breathable

Expensive, pretty thick for a sock

Great winter socks which do everything they say they will. Just make sure to try them on with your cycle shoes, as the extra thickness can cramp your feet compared to summer socks.

Similar Products Used: Gore-tex oversocks, noeprene overshoes
Andy   Weekend Warrior [Dec 19, 2000]
Strength:

Like it says on the box - waterproof and breathable.

Get a bit stiff when they've been washed and take a while to wear in again!

I like these things a lot as they are simple, cheap and work well.

They DO keep your feet dry except when water gets in over the top of them. If you are going wading up to your knees or it's really, really raining then you will get wet feet whatever. Even then, as they are pretty thick, I've found that they are insulated enough to keep the water that gets inside them warm(ish).

[I've also used them for hill walking when my boots were leaking and they've kept my feet dry no probs.]

My wife has just bought the new Sealskins socks which are better as they are thinner and softer. And they are cheaper. Plus, there is a version of these for £30 which are longer and has a water seal around the calf.