Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor Short Shorts

Ultrasensor Short

Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor Short. The short known for its comfort and durability gets a design update and a chamois upgrade.

adrian   [Sep 09, 2013]
Strength:

Outstanding quality and durability. 3 major wipeouts and never a tear!!!!

Minimum padding. but ok.

I bought a pair of these in 1998 and used them weekly, 50kms PER DAY until about 2008 with 3 major wipeouts and they stood the test of time(10+years) . AMAZING QUALITY, and Durability. Great Chamois. Elastics finally dried out this May and replaced them with Pearl Izumi Elite Energy today. Another amazing product. My Pearl Izumi jerseys are from 1998 and not even faded. Amazing!

Dan   Racer [Jun 15, 2003]
Strength:

These shorts are extremely comfortable, durable, pretty good looking, and doesn't restrict movement whatsoever.

None.

These are a great pair of shorts that will last a long time, and will keap everything in working order.

Similar Products Used: Other Pearl Izumis.
Steve   Weekend Warrior [May 23, 2003]
Strength:

Great fabric; nice pad; awesome cut

The pad doesn't go far enough in the front, which makes it a bit less comfortable than it would be otherwise

Incredible! There is almost no discomfort, esp. compared to my old Trico Sport shorts. The cut is great, it fits like a glove. The fabric is pretty light and breathable. Overall: great.

Similar Products Used: Trico Sports gel shorts (POS)
ron ruffini   Cross Country Rider [Sep 05, 2007]
Strength:

great fit and material

1 piece pad

My PI ultra sensors rock!! I feel bad knocking the new ones, but with 700+ miles on my old ones I have never had ANY problems with discomfort or chaffing.

The new onee, with the 1 piece liner are horrible. After a 23 mile ride, I was left with a couple of very raw areas!!! The old shorts had terry cloth on the sides of the pad which worked real well. I will be returning these to REI very shortly.

The quality of the product looks just as good as my old shorts, but the pad was a disappointment.

Similar Products Used: PI ultra sensor - old style (with 3d padding and terry cloth on inner thighs)
Joseph   Cross Country Rider [Aug 14, 2006]
Strength:

Ultrasensor Fabric and 8 panel cut

The chamois, the chamois, and the chamois

The previous PRT chamois in the ultrasensor short was a great product, it was incredibly comfortable, i have two pair still. Unfortunately, the new 3d elite chamois now in the ultrasensor short falls far short of that comfort level. They have left a channel right down the middle of the pad that has absolutely no padding. In theory if you dont move around on your seat you are supported by your sit bones and the padding isn't necessary, but who Mt. bikes and does not slide around on there seat? Everyone is built differently of course, but for my anatomy This padding less channel, just doesn't work, it is just painfull to ride with these shorts. Now I am scrambling to find some old stock ultrasensor shorts with the PRT chamois. I gave those shorts 5 flaming chilis for comfort.

Similar Products Used: PI Ultrasensor short with PRT chamois, which for me was awsome
Jason Yunker   Weekend Warrior [Apr 14, 2003]
Strength:

Chamois

Fabric lacks strength

The UltraSensor shorts are a big jump from the Attacks, allowing more movement with more give, and a big improvement on the chamois, but they both suffer from a lack of tensile strength. In less than 8 months, I've blown out a pair of Attacks and a pair of UltraSensors from nothing more unusual than contact with the seat during aggressive riding times. The P.I. Rep says the warranty doesn't cover that kind of abuse, to which my reply is: My testicles are still intact... why ain't your shorts? The shorts get a five for feel, but a two for function. and a big fat goose egg for PearlIzumi standing behind their warranty... Overall score: 3. I'm switching to Primal.

Similar Products Used: Zoic Baggies, Primal Wear
Wenona   Cross Country Rider [Jan 31, 2003]
Strength:

Awesome short! I have and old pair that doesn't have the new PRT chamois and they don't get worn much anymore - basically only used for spin class. The UltraSensor's fit well and provide good muscle support. They hold up really well, too. My husband has a pair that he's crashed in numerous times. The only time he got a hole in them was when he slide down a steep embankment and the shorts got caught on a log (that snag prevented him sliding much further down the hill). It's a very small hole and it hasn't gotten any bigger.

A bit pricey unless you can find them on sale.

Buy these shorts if you want comfort and durability! Like a previous post said, think of this as an investment. If you've ever ridden in poorly designed shorts you know how uncomfortable it is (my old pair of Sugoi's were like this). Do yourself and your "seated area" a favor and buy these shorts. For you ladies that like a little shorter length, try the Pearlie Attack shorts.

Similar Products Used: Sugoi and PI Attack shorts
Dude   Cross Country Rider [Jun 22, 2005]
Strength:

Looks cool

Chamois is worthless, stitching around chamois is very irritating. The chamois material itself is very sandpaper like.

These shorts are torture. They rub you raw after about thirty minutes! I am sitting here with my butt on fire because the stiching has rubbed everything raw. Please do yourself a favor and boycott these shorts. The new chamois is just plain awful. My older PI shorts were so much better. I think I will stick with Specialized shorts from now on because I can sit on that on for hours with no chafing.

Similar Products Used: Older PI Ultrasensors with the old style chamois. Specialized body Geometry Shorts.
Brian   Weekend Warrior [Sep 08, 2003]

durability
pad a bit too thick

Wore out two pairs of these right where the pad is sewn into the leg. Fabric is too thin and too weak. First the stitches wore away so there was a big gap between the pad and the short, then the fabric tore right through. Not much use and most of it was on my road bike. Older Pearl shorts are still holding up great. These suck.