Hoss Ponderosa Shorts

Ponderosa Have you been searching for a pair of shortsThat are comfortable enough for long days inThe saddle yet stylish enoughTo wear aroundTown? Saddle up in comfort and style withThe Ponderosa. Finally, a baggy shortThat’s as versatile as your lifestyle.Features & Benefits * 8 panel micro fiber polyester outer shell is lightweight and durable * 6 panel polyester/Spandex liner with CoolMax for moisture management and comfort * CoolMax sanitized chamois with multi-levelTechnology impr

Cayenne_Pepa   All Mountain Rider [Aug 13, 2016]
Strength:

~ Looks good enough to continue wearing outside
~ Lots of compartments
~ Breathes very well
~ Elastic waist adjustable
~ Sweat and water wicking materials

~ Gotta drop your drawers, just to pee
~ Company was losing $$$ on each product sold - so no longer made

Hoss Technical Gear owner Mark Malatesta had a good concept: make and sell an affordable, quality MTB short. I heard warranty returns and QC issues doomed this poor OC company. Although the integrated chamois into shorts is so 2005 - the swim trunk fit of the Ponderosa short felt very natural to me. Having short legs, I feel modern knicker-style shorts look too dorky on me. I still scour eBay for these on sale cheap.

Similar Products Used: Zoic
NEMA
Royal Racing
Sombrio
SRP   [Feb 03, 2014]
Strength:

Nice material and when they are up on your hips, they are comfortable

Won't stay up on your hips. I bought the small for a 32 inch waist, and because of the stretch in the back, these sag way down when I ride. I end up looking like a plumber (exposed crack)! Plus, with no opening up front, they are difficult to get on, and no way to open up when nature calls. Had they not put the stretch in back and added a zipper and snap, these would be awesome shorts. But because of these shortcomings, they're not great.

I wouldn't by these again based on the weaknesses noted!

High Side   Weekend Warrior [Oct 02, 2011]
Strength:

Comfortable, looks good, good pockets

I have owned 3 pairs. All three pairs ripped in the crotch area with little use. One pair ripped across the upper butt area.

Maybe a good short for other body types. They were not a durable short for me.

crfoot   Cross Country Rider [Aug 27, 2011]
Strength:

price

On my 2nd pair. The first pair lasted over a year and was the best short I ever used. Just got this pair and it was the "10" model. Seems like these are not up to par. Not as comfortable and the liner is thin. Sucks cuz these were a great short.

Loss that lovin feeling!

obssesed   Weekend Warrior [Jan 08, 2011]
Strength:

Lots of pockets. Well built. Cheap and comfortable

For the price it is one hell of a pair of shorts. Very comfortable and I like having a lot of pockets. Who cares if I have to hang my junk out while peeing in the woods! I did tear one pair of these shorts after a year and a half of use. But I've also torn my fox and oakley shorts too. Everything wears out eventually. Best clearance priced shorts ever.

Similar Products Used: Fox, Oakley
barnhorse   Cross Country Rider [Jan 05, 2011]
Strength:

I have two pair. The old pair is good.

The new pair is bad. Strange fit, buckle won't stay tight, velcro beltline gives way.

One good pair, one bad pair. I am not sure how to rate them.

Chad5080   Cross Country Rider [Oct 08, 2010]
Strength:

Durable, comfortable, inexpensive, and multiple pockets

The velcro on the tip of the belt is used to attach the loose ends to the shorts. If the ends don't reach the velcro section they can rub against your skin. I cut the velcro off and melted the tips to prevent it from fraying and the problem was solved.

I don't think you could ask for more from a pair of shorts. I find them to be extremely comfortable and they have held up to plenty of crashes. I haven't had any problems with sagging or the chamois moving around like some others have said. The shorts fit very well which allows you to actually use the pockets while riding. I would definitely buy these shorts again.

Similar Products Used: Lycra shorts, and cargo shorts
AusMTB Orienteer   Weekend Warrior [Sep 28, 2010]
Strength:

Good Pockets. Keeps you warm in winter

belt/clip tore out, now the crotch area is ripping badly.

waste of money for me, product has fallen apart after only 3 months use. Disappointed in that.
Was looking forward to long use of these as they fitted me and the length, whilst hot in summer (nearly full length) would have protected me from sunburn.
sadly not sure they will last long enough

Similar Products Used: neti bike shorts.
Garagemonkey   Cross Country Rider [Sep 16, 2010]
Strength:

Lots of large cargo pockets with velcro flaps and smaller zippered pockets for cell phone or keys.

First, they're hot. Limited ventilation and my thighs were soaked in sweat after a mild 7-mile ride. Second and most obnoxious is the chamois liner padding. Padding thickness is acceptable even with my rock-hard Bontrager saddle, but it falls to one side then the other and feels like you dropped a big solid deuce. Rise up to peddle out of saddle and you feel like some evil sumanabatch crammed a dryer full of towels up your crack. Third, the sizing seems a bit off (maybe it's just me). I have a 31-inch waist and the Mediums I bought were too small. Exchanged 'em for a Large at my LBS (Bike Bling) with no issues.

Rode 'em a few times and am done. Too bad the liner isn't removable 'cause the shorts themselves aren't bad. Maybe I'll cut the chamois liner out and wear 'em as regular shorts. Look good, feel like crap.

Although inexpensive, pop the extra dough for vented shorts with better chamois liner.

Similar Products Used: Cargo shorts.
kapusta   Weekend Warrior [Aug 28, 2010]
Strength:

Cheap?

Terrible liner, terrible chamois, terrible belt design.

I have owned 4 pair of Baggies, and 4 pair of Lycra shorts. These are the only ones I just had to stop wearing. For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone thinks these shorts are even tolerable. These are terrible. Where to start?

First the liner. It sucks. It has very little stretch to it, which means it does not do what a liner is supposed to do, which is conform to your body and keep the chamois in place. So either you have one that sags some of the time (like when you are out of the saddle) or is too tight other times (like when you sit down). I get that most people go a size bigger so that they are comfortable sitting down.

Second, the chamois itself. It sucks. It is a pathetic joke. I don't even know why they bothered putting it in there.

So, they put in a useless, uncomfortable, inelastic liner, to hold a chamois that may as well not even be there. Seriously, anyone that thinks these are even remotely acceptable needs to try a good pair of Lycra shorts to understand what a chamois is supposed to do. Good baggies have such liners/chamois, these do not.

Next is the belt. I had to cut out the two loops because they dig into my stomach. The belt is also way longer than it needs to be (thus the need for the loops). Just a dumb design. A pair of scissors took care of all this.

Finally, there is no fly. I have to practically drop my drawers just to take a leak!

These suck. They offer no advantage over just shorts with boxers, unless you get them tight enough to actually behave like bike shorts, but then they are too tight some of the time. Again, try a good set of baggies or Lycra, and you will understand how pathetic these really are.

Similar Products Used: Baggies by Specialized, REI, and others. Plus many Lycra shorts.