Gore Bike Wear ALP-X Shorts

Lightweight and very packable Gore-Tex Paclite fabric forms an impenetrable barrier against wind and water while maintaining breathability. Wear-resistant seat reinforcement and one-handed, adjustable cord stopper on inner side seams provide a durable, customized fit. Reflective detailing throughout adds visibility in low light conditions. Elastic waistband with drawcord provides easy, adjustability.

krd123   Cross Country Rider [Jun 01, 2010]
Strength:

Good water proofness, breaths fairly well and vents well. Pack really small.

Fabric is fragile and rips easily, fit is small for the size and constricting at the hips. Price is high considering how easily the fabric rips.

After freezing my butt in last year's Bow 80 I decided to give these a try. The good part is that they work quite well. The fact they are shorts allows air to circulate up the legs to keep things fairly well vented. In this regard they are more comfortable than wearing rain pants.

Two big issues for me. First the fit is really small. I ordered 2X which in most shorts fits me well, even generously. With these there is just enough room. Also they are quite constricting at the hips. They actually make it hard to swing a leg over the bike, when mounting and dismounting.

The second issue is that the fabric on the sides is quite fragile. The first day I wore them I hit some ice and went down on my hip, arm and shoulder. The shorts tore, with the hole being the size of two loonies. There were also some smaller cuts and tears. None of my other gear showed any marks at all.

For the money I expected a better fit and better durability. The good news is that I was able to repair the holes. The other good news is that I got them for $40 less than full retail, with free shipping.

I will say that I like the concept. Sometimes off road in the wet, all you really need to be comfortable is a product like this to keep your butt dry, and a jacket. If I were to do it over I would probably buy the capri length version as it will keep your knees warmer and dryer.