Fox Head Ranger Shorts

The Fox Ranger short features 2 way stretch fabric that is durable and provides comfort for the rider. Also features a detachable inner liner that has a Pro Form Men?s chamois, which provides even more comfort for the rider. An adjustable waistband allo

SnakeHandling SingleSpeeder   All Mountain Rider [Nov 14, 2013]
Strength:

Fox brand
Pockets

Price

I didn't pay full price and waited for put of season sales. I did have issues with sizing and the shorts will fray a bit more than I'd like. I trim it off and they've been fine. I wear them a lot and they are super comfortable on and off the bike. I just wish they were cheaper and a bit better quality.

moronm   [Apr 09, 2013]
Strength:

Look, Fit

A little expensive

Just a quick update for those looking at these shorts, I just bought a pair a few days ago. I have only ridden with them once, so I cannot attest to long term comfort ot functionality.

However, there have been a few changes for 2013 it looks like. The pair I have has belt loops now, and the fit between the padded short and outer baggy seems to be consistent.

Dave   All Mountain Rider [Oct 04, 2012]
Strength:

Chamois, style, pockets, material.

Terrible fit for outer shorts!

I was thrilled when I found these for $27 online. So thrilled, I bought two pair. The inner chamois shorts detach by cutting a little strip of fabric that connects them to the outter shorts. The chamois fit decently well, snug, but not tight. The outer short, however, is a little loose in the waist, but then very tight across the upper thigh and hip area. As you pedal, your thighs pull the fabric tight, and pull the shorts down exposing about 5 inches of butt crack. When you try to move around your bike, you find the shorts getting caught on the bike seat. They are very uncomfortable for this reason. I will continue using the inner chamois, but will likely avoid using the outer shorts for rides. They may be ok for hanging out around the house, or maybe for hiking (I will test them out) but I've switched back to my board shorts I was trying to replace when I bought these. Even though I got a great price, it doesn't help me if I can't ride in them. At least the diaper shorts will work.

Bottom line: make sure you try these on before buying and simulate a riding position to see if they will work for you.

Similar Products Used: Old diaper shorts with board shorts on top.
Bike Mike   [Aug 07, 2012]
Strength:

These shorts have a great outer material, breathable and seems like it will hold up well to the scrapes and abuse of mountain biking.

Fit / Available Sizes
No belt loops, poor tightening system

My waist measures just under 33" so I ordered both the 32 & 34. The 32 fit my waist but not my thighs and felt like I would rip them getting on my bike. The 34s were too large, I don't trust the small velcro straps to hold these on... They're going back and I'll keep looking. I'm 5' 6", ordered the 10" inseam and it was good, stopped right at the top of my knee and would not interfere with pedaling

FOX - These shorts could be a real winner - please add belt loops!!!

Corbinworks   [Jul 27, 2012]
Strength:

Fit nice on me, lots of storage, clean looking..

Fade fast, stitching is coming undone, price

They were really nice for the first 2 rides..after that they started to fray and fade..I only wash in cold and never dry..they should have lasted for $100

pascale27   Cross Country Rider [Apr 07, 2012]
Strength:

lightweight, baggy but not too big, good chamois, adjustable waist velcro tabs

inner shorts a little big in waist but chamois stayed in place

great short with clean styling. Fit is baggy but not too much. I got the Ranger 10 which on me is just below the knee, if you're tall you might want the Ranger 12 (as in 12" inseam). Craftsmanship is good, with good seams and stiching on pockets. Inner short is bit on the big side but the chamois stayed in place, padding held up on 2+ hr rides. Great value short, very pleased. I would buy another pair.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Rhythm Short
Skeeter   Weekend Warrior [Jan 30, 2012]
Strength:

Shorts are really nice lightweight material, they look good, nice zippers and snaps. The inter liner is junk. Chamois is real nice but the quality of the liner waist band and stitching fell apart on my shorts on the 1st trip.

Interior Liner short is poor quality and too big. I bought a size 40. I'm 5'11 / 240lbs. The interior liner was way too big for the shorts in the size I purchased. The liner sagged like I was carrying a big dump in my pants. In addition, the seams on the liner unraveled on the first outing. Foxhead.com was very little help on RMA process - basically send them back and YOUR expense and they decide if the problem is theres or yours...

the Short itself is fine. Just wouldn't pay full retail for them if I had a do-over. I gave it a 1 because of the chamois issue and Fox's Customer Experience process on the return.

Similar Products Used: Pearl Izumi Canyon short, LG brand - can't remember the model.
beef supreme   Cross Country Rider [May 07, 2011]
Strength:

I guess they look nice.

The way they fit.

These shorts are terrible. I have had other Fox shorts that were good enough to keep buying more. I tried these on walked around briefly and thought I was good to go. I was wrong. Once riding I knew I had made a bad choice. First off my crack was hanging out like the others who reviewed these shorts. Second, the liner seems to inhibit the natural movement of the legs when riding a bike. The waist is plenty big but the liner just seems too small. I don't know what it's like to ride in a leather mini skirt but I'm guessing it's similar to riding in these shorts.

Similar Products Used: Endura, Hoss, Azonic, Other Fox shorts
mcap   Downhiller [Dec 01, 2010]
Strength:

Good length, look decent, ok liner, can find fairly cheap

if they are too big you are hosed, no belt loops and the waist adjustment doesn't do much. Fixed chamois is low in the front, high likelyhood you will be showing the rider behind you a lil crack action

For the price I paid they do the trick and have held up so far. If they fit your waist you can pull the chamois up higher on your thigh so they can be pulled up higher to prevent plumber crack exposure

Berkley   Weekend Warrior [Oct 16, 2010]
Strength:

Not too expensive. Material holds up well. Zipper is nice for peeing during rides, but lacks the functionality of the drawstring on other Fox shorts.

I read a review on these them before I bought them, and it said they rode ass-crack low. I figured the reviewer was a heavier guy. Not the case. I'm 6' 155lbs and can't pull 'em up high enough. It's like the removable liner is a size smaller than the baggy outer.

The little fasteners holding the two together are useless, as they come apart and fall out when you wash them. They really serve no purpose.

The velcro waist straps are poorly designed too. If the rough velcro is exposed, it grabs my jersey and sticks to it. Annoying.

All in all, the removable inner is a nice thought, but poorly executed. The shorts are reasonably priced, but the design flaws outweigh everything else. Very much liked the old style Mid-ranger shorts better (with non-removable liner)