Fox Head High Frequency Shorts

High Frequency

Fox High Frequency Short '08. Year after year, these shorts prove to be the best. These fine-tunable fitting shorts provide great breathability through zip air vents and ultimate comfort through stretchy panels.

Zachariah   Cross Country Rider [Dec 08, 2009]
Strength:

-Vent zippers
-Cargo short fit
-Waistband adjustment
-Chamois doesn't feel like a baggy diaper
-Microfiber outer and vented spandex liner
-Slim fit will not snag on bike

-Main zipper is too short
-Only two small zippered pockets

They cost a lot, but Fox's high-end MTB shorts are excellent performers all around. They are cool, comfortable and will save your skin on crashes that would shred spandex cycling shorts completely. The high tech antibacterial chamois is padded in all the right places and is comfortable enough even for 3+ hour epic rides.

If these can last at least five years...I got my money's worth!

Similar Products Used: Specialized
Pearl Izumi
Sugoi
Mikeerac   Weekend Warrior [Jul 06, 2009]
Strength:

Look great, fit is great, very confortable

Long term wear possibly suspect, may be sorted in newer versions

I got a very good deal on these from Stif as they were, at the time, last season's design. They have a mesh liner and very comfortable padded insert. I can't agree with anyone who says these are confortable off the bike as walking around with a foam pad between your legs/bum/nuts is not natural! However, get on the bike and the design really makes sense, very comfortable. There's pockets in the right places and they look very cool. My only issue is the way these are put together, i did a sixty mile charity ride, on the road, and got a very bad saddle sore where these had never given me grief before. When i got home i examined the shorts and noticed that the stitching had come out from the pad and left a gaping hole between the liner and the pad itself which had been rubbing my tender bits! I have got two pairs of these and have no problems with the second pair. I have also got a pair of Fox sergeant shorts, with removeable liners and there is a huge step up in quality and comfort so i would go for these (even though they are very expensive) if you can afford it.

Similar Products Used: Altura, Fox Sergeant
do2b   Cross Country Rider [May 15, 2008]
Strength:

Good quality construction with good materials.

The liner is cheaply made.

Either spend more to get the Epic or less to get the Pondersoa or the Mid-ranger. These are not worth the money, unless you rip out the chamois. It feels like cardboard.

Similar Products Used: Fox Mid-ranger, Fox Epic, Hoss Ponderosa
Paul francis   Cross Country Rider [May 29, 2003]
Strength:

Fit, Looks, Design

Stitching is sub-par

Good Fit (not too baggy), I like the liner, They grip the seat very well. I'm not sure about the chamois (My butt hurts more with it than with liner-less shorts. These shorts look great! The only down fall is the stitching, These shorts are about to rip apart after only 5 rides (and yes, I bought the right size). Something with a m.s.r.p. of $79 should be put together a litle better. I got these for half of that and because of this I think that they are a wise purchase (I'm taking them to a seemstress to have some heavy-duty stitching put in them.

Similar Products Used: Azonic
Zoli   Cross Country Rider [Jan 28, 2007]
Strength:

Great looking Short, Breathable Zips on front and back, high build quality and comfortable.

Price is high, but you are getting alot of short for the price.

Great shorts to go riding in, comfortable and breathes well when Zips are opened. Very casual looking short and chamois doesnt look obtrusive. A bit expensive over here in Aus ($149) but otherwise deffinetly worth the buy.

Dave   Cross Country Rider [Aug 08, 2006]
Strength:

Really Comfy, looks awsome, not too tight not too loose

I don't want to take them off

These shorts are awsome. the pockets aren't too useful, but having anything in your pockets while riding is usually uncomfortable anyway. A little pricey but worth the investment.

Similar Products Used: Starter basketball shorts.....ouch
Dave   Weekend Warrior [Jun 13, 2006]
Strength:

Great fit, light chamois, ventilation.

Chamois may be too light for some riders on wrong saddle on a long ride.

Great fitting pair of riding shorts, light weight, really comfy. I'm sure these will last as long as I may need. I like the adjustment of the waist band. and the pockets come in handy for chewing gum and GU.

Similar Products Used: Fox Mid Ranger
easyliven   Cross Country Rider [Jul 25, 2006]
Strength:

The fit, the zippered and the snap front.

Padding

I like the looks and fit of the shorts. The snap front and the zipper are really nice. The adjustable velcro srtaps are real useful for adjusting the fit. However the padding is way to much. It's like riding with about 3 big kotex pads between your legs and really gauld the crotch area. I had my wife rip out about 1/2 of the padding. They are still not what I would like but they're excepable. My suggestion is that you save your money on these over priced over stuffed shorts and get something less expensive with less padding.

Michael Malekzadeh   Cross Country Rider [Mar 31, 2003]
Strength:

These shorts are durable, comftorable, and lets not forget feature the Fox name.

The spandex liner is a bit loose on me. The leg openings are also a bit tight, but for XC use is okay.

Overall, this is a very good short for XC use. I would not recommend them for downhill or freeride. I do not think they are worth the full retail value, but since i got a good deal on them since they are the 2002's, they are a sweet deal. I recently got the 2003's and will write a review on them when i ride with them more. If you see them for around this price, they are definitely worth it.

Similar Products Used: Other baggy shorts with spandex liner such as Fox's race demo's and mid ranger, and Pearl Izumi Voltana's
Marbinsan   Cross Country Rider [Oct 13, 2002]
Strength:

-comfortable
-durable outer shell
-well placed zipped pockets
-good padding

-inner bike short elastic is too tight
-outside stitching is starting to fall apart

I got mine on sale but still seem kind of expensive. It's like your paying extra for the Fox Racing name.