Specialized Team Mountain ATB Shoe Shoes

Team Mountain ATB Shoe

Specialized Team Mountain ATB Shoe

Chris Smalley   Cross Country Rider [Jun 14, 2003]
Strength:

Comfortable, Looks good (yellow & black)

The soles came off

I got them on sale. They are an older model. They have been comfortable and nice and stiff. I have been using them for two months on the road. Today I went off road with them and the left sole came away from the shoe. It slaps around like a flip-flop. The right one is coming apart too. I emailed Specialized today. I'll report on how they handle this.
25 bucks per month for shoes isn't going to cut it. My crappy low end Nikes lasted for six years.

Similar Products Used: Nike
T-Bone   Cross Country Rider [Mar 14, 2002]
Strength:

Price
reviews from this board
colors
weight
price

seems better for narrower feet, clors a bit bright but match my lavender closeout riding trunks

Love the slick bottom, clips skid right into clicking not like my Sport models that had more rubber bottoms making it harder to find the click. Have to say like the extra stiffness and way lighter, but cleats a bit aggressive, otherwise for 8 dollars less than the sport models this shoe rocks, like the rubberised bumpers that keep the fabric from taking abuse on rocks bonks and skids, perfect foot would be narrower with a slightly wider heal, I'm happy ride on, love online deals!

Similar Products Used: Specialized Sport, paid 8 dollars less for the Team Mountain, must be a recession or something
Cory   Cross Country Rider [Mar 10, 2002]
Strength:

Good fit
Good looks
Stiffness

Every single time my crnk turns,the top two straps rub against it. It is really annoying, but it doesnt detract from the performance. It is a little loose in the heel area for me. This may be because i have a narrow foot.

Very nice shoe. Good quality, the only weakness i found is the loose fit in the heel, and the rubbing of the straps on the crank

Similar Products Used: None
Andrew   Racer [Sep 19, 2000]
Strength:

Fit, Stiff, Light, Looks, Toe and heel bumpers, price

Durability

These shoes fit great, and are very stiff. Toe and heel bumpers are well thought out. Too bad the retention system sucks. The first pair I got the velcro wore out within a month. I returned them. The replacement pair had one front velcro strap that didn't stick from day 1, but they fit so well that it didn't affect they way they stuck on my foot. But then 2 months later, when tightening up the straps, the metal loop that the strap goes through to fold back on itself snapped in two. I took this pair back and got a pair of Shimano M220s-the blue ones with a carbon sole. Now I'm very happy because the shimanos rock.

Similar Products Used: Shimano M220, Specialized el gato comp
Scott   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 06, 1999]
Strength:

Price-- Closeout special on last year's model, swear to gawd only $19.99.

They seem kinda narrow but that's cool because I have narrow feet.

I tried these same shoes on last fall when they were on sale for $90. and almost bought them then but at $19.99 they are a friggen steal. I haven't even ridden with them yet. I was checking to see what other riders had to say about them.

Similar Products Used: I have the 98' Answer Accelerators and like them a lot.
John   Cross Country Rider [Dec 29, 2000]
Strength:

they're comfortable, mine have been very rugged so far. they match my frame (ok, so that's not really a quality issue), and they have a nice, stiff sole. nicely vented too.

walking with the toe spikes is a bit annoying. i took mine out. there's been some fraying of the velcro, but its still intact after a year and a half. the liners also slip some nowadays. nice summer venting is a pain in the winter.

i like the shoe. i'm not going to give it a perfect review because a lot of you say you've had bad experiences with them, and my velcro is starting to fray a little. but i won't rip them either. they fit my feet fine (maybe i have weird feet. hey, i dunno, its not something you like to think about) they have served me well, and i think i got my money out of them. i've raced in the shoes three tiems, ridden and crashed, mud soaked, rock marred, tore the soles up, and wore them all day on gravel before. they are still in one piece. so what if i'm a novice? i can still tell that my pair have been worth every cent. hope i have as much luck with the next pair i get. when i need to replace these.

Similar Products Used: first set of spd shoes. i've liked them enough to stick with them...
Gary White   Cross Country Rider [May 23, 2001]
Strength:

Well made, good quality materials

Everything else - let down by very poor design

Maybe it's just the way I cycle or my feet (!) but I really hate these shoes - they're the worst SPD shoes I've owned. I have persevered but have had to move on to Shimano M220s. The main problem is the awful design of the sole. It's a constant battle to engage cleanly with the cleats, with the result that the foot slips off the pedal 40% of the time. It seems to be that there is very poor clearance around the cleat area. Also, the middle of the sole area is very narrow and completely smooth - so this leads to the second problem - when you try to catch the pedal or just rest your foot there whilst waiting to move off (say at traffic lights), the foot slips off as soon as you apply power - it's very difficult to coast with your foot just resting on the top of the pedal.
Other problems include a very narrow toe and only two velcro securing straps - the shoe never feels that its tightened up evenly.
Now I use Shimano M220s - and I just forget that I have the shoes on, as it should be with good footwear.
Specialiazed are a brilliant company and most of their products kick - but this one's a real turkey. Sorry guys - back to the drawing board!

Similar Products Used: Big S e.g. M220 plus many others in the past
Ethan   Racer [Apr 14, 2001]
Strength:

I have a sort of wide foot and the wide toe box of the shoe fit me great. The shoe has a nice stiff sole and the venting is great.

Towards the end of the racing season a few of the velcro straps started to fail. After a few creek crossings this spring pretty much all of the straps were failing.

This shoe is a great shoe if you don't plan on having it for more than a year or there about.

ed   [Aug 29, 2000]
Strength:

loud color scheme gets you noticed,
no laces saves you time, not as pricey as sidi, hard sole saves you energy

the velcro-only strap system actually prevents you from getting a tight fit around the heel. in other words, i can pull my heel off the floor of the shoe (that's not good) while fully strapped in to the point of cutting off circulation to my feet. i tried on their other mtb shoe - the mountain comp (which has a lace/velcro system, the same sole, and is $40 bux cheaper) and i actually think it's a superior shoe. unfortunately they didn't have my size (what's up w/ the no 1/2 sizes - 44, 45, 46) give a 10 1/2 guy a break!

i'd go w/ the specialized mountain comp if i could do it all over again. it's got the same sole, same synthetic upper material (go vegan!!) one less velcro strap, a lace system, and you save $40 bux towards your next shoe purchase.

jeff goodhand   Racer [Aug 07, 2000]
Strength:

i think they are comforatable and look cool

nothin yet

i think that look cool are pretty lite, and are perfect for the type of riding that i do. i would recomend them to any body so far. i have already put them through hell and back