Specialized Rime MTB Shoes

The Rime merges XC performance with All-Mountain/Freeride features. Robust Vibram rubber sole, durable and protective upper, Boa dial adjustability, and BG technology make the Rime the perfect shoe for the modern mountain biker.

• Vibram rubber outsole for unmatched traction and durability
  • Composite midsole plate for efficient cycling, but flexible enough for walking: 7.0 stiffness index
  • Performance-enhancing BG features in the outsole and footbed
  • New S2 Boa cartridge closure, with improved durability for dirt and ease of use.
  • Incremental adjustment, braided stainless steel cable and easy 3mm Allen replaceable cartridge system
  • Durable synthetic upper is supple fitting with improved welded reinforcement to handle all mountain use
  • Wrap style tongue for comfort, secure fit and keeps dirt and mud out
  • 2-bolt cleat pattern, compatible with all major MTB pedals

Shredmonkey   Weekend Warrior [Mar 25, 2015]
Strength:

Perfect stiffness, great fit for narrow feet, breathable, vibram sole gives traction when off bike, descent price(elite model).

None really, except maybe the break in period.

This review is for the new elite model that does not have the boa system which is fine by me because I am not a fan.
IMO, the benefits of the boa system do not justify the increased costs. The Velcro version fit and adjustment works fine, plus if you if you experience a malfunction with the dial or cable on the trail your s.o.l. In this case it seems that less is more.
The shoe fit is spot on after a half size increase form my old softer shoe (specialized Tahoe). It took about three rides for them to break in which I guess is typical for a stiffer shoe. You can feel the breeze on your feet so they are great for warm weather and maybe not so much for the cold. The toe box is just roomy enough and have a ramped design that increases pedaling efficiency which is where these shoes excel.
I'm very happy with this purchase and value considering the price of other shoes with similar performance and features.

Similar Products Used: Specialized tahoe
centralcoastkid   [Dec 17, 2013]
Strength:

A great shoe to bike hike , comfortable though they were a little stiff new they quickly loosened up in the right places the grip is insane on the peddle and ground. price ? well I got mine from my lbs for 120.00 ( 2014,s ) so I got lucky on that.

its winter here and on the first couple cold days I could feel it on my toes being well ventilated a pair of toe sox fixed that problem right away though.

Im a trail rider and like to get off the beaten path and explore and with these shoes I don't feel any discomfort while walking around and none while clipped in , overall great shoe !

DPF   Weekend Warrior [Oct 18, 2013]
Strength:

Vibram Sole
Comfortable
Aim at Enduro Riding
Stiff Sole
Durable
Breathing Capability
Easy to replace BOA.
Best grip in all conditions of any mountain bike shoe that I have used before.

BOA is not best system. Cable got tangled while washing which required to get a replacement. Easy to change BOA system, and cheap to purchase also USD $5.
A little heavy if you are into counting grams (easier to loose weight).
Which they had more color options.

Love specialized shoes, always comfortable. Thinking of buying a second pair.

Similar Products Used: Specialized MTB Comp
jonbyron   [May 19, 2013]
Strength:

Stiff enough, great sole, fits very well and is comfortable on hike-a-bikes and good traction on rocks, can "trail run" a bit if needed as well.

Dries very slowly and holds water

These shoes are amazing for all day journeys into the woods. I ride in an area with a lot of very rocky, rooty, rough trails that often require hike-a-bikes of a couple miles at a time. I bought the Rime shoes because my Sidi Dominator 5s were just too slippery when walking through streams and climbing up rocks. I've also ridden with these quite a bit and have had no issues with the boa closure system.

Which brings me to my only complaint about the shoe and my hope this suggestion reaches the folks at Specialized. The Rime is in my opinion the ultimate mountain bike shoe, BUT they dry so very slowly(2 days usually) and hold a lot of water. Isnt there any way to include the vibram sole, same stiffness ratio, but make the top part of the shoe less like a tennis shoe and more like an actual bike shoe?

poppawheeley   All Mountain Rider [Mar 25, 2013]
Strength:

shoe feels perfect when it's workin

breaks down quickly. boa system is fragile

excellent show when it's not in the shop..

Russell   [Oct 21, 2012]
Strength:

Vibram soles

BOA system, price

these are the best MTB shoes I've bought yet. They are great for rocks, roots, leaves, and pedaling. I've had to do my fair share of walking and the SIDI shoes I had first I would've rather walked barefoot on the trail. The BOA system is a little weak, I broke one already within 3 months but to give BOA credit they did replace it under warranty with no questions asked within 3 days and they said they are guaranteed. I gave these shoes 4 chilis only because $175.00 for a shoe I'm going to stick in the mud and dirt is a little high for me, I just hope they last.

solitone   All Mountain Rider [Sep 19, 2012]
Strength:

Tough Vibram sole, pretty rigid to pedal efficiently, although comfortable enough for walking on the trail. Superb grip on rocky terrain, as well as grass, mud, etc. Cleats do not protude. Nice body-geometry footbed. Effective toe protection. Easy to clean.

They're not light. Limited cleat positioning.

Specialized Rime shoes are exactly what I was looking for.

With their Vibram sole you can easily walk on all trail surfaces--rock, mud, grass, etc. Besides, the sole is quite stiff, so you can pedal comfortably and effectively. Still, it's not TOO rigid, and so these shoes are pretty good for walking. Cleats do not protude, and their footbed is super comfy, too.

I've used them with Shimano XT race pedals, as well as Crankbrothers Candy 3. With both they worked smoothly.

Their weight is OK, especially considering their intended use, but at 460 g each including cleat they're not the lightest. But for trail riding you'd rather choose a more solid and secure shoe, wouldn't you, even though this means some extra grams!

One single point you'd better take notice: it seems cleats can't be positioned very far to the front. I ended up placing them in the foremost position, and to me this was the right placement. Nevertheless consider this aspect before buying.

In short, it was a great choice, and I'm totally happy with them. The only thing I don't particularly appreciate perhaps is their look, but it's just my taste, and I therefore highly recommend them--also considering their price--155 €.

The definite choice for trail riding, IMO.

Similar Products Used: Some model by North wave--don't remember the make
chongoman   [Sep 03, 2012]
Strength:

Excellent stiffness for a shoe that also allows you to walk over rocky terrain that cannot be ridden. These shoes fill in the gap between traditional XC performance and practical comfort needed when stepping off or hiking your bike through nasty, rocky segments.
The toe protection is nice too.
Love these shoes. I wish they were a little cheaper, but what can you do? they're worth it.

None for my uses.

love them

Raymo853   [Aug 22, 2012]
Strength:

Comfortable
Good shoe for non-racer types that ride tough terrain

Boa retention system

I bought these shoes about six months ago and have many great hours of riding, and walking at times. I think the shoes are great. Comfortable, easy to walk in regardless of the terrain, and fit me well. The nice grippy tread is just not great to walk in, but great when you need to put a foot down for a moment to get over an obstacle.

However, the Boa retention system is a big weakness. Might be ok for a road bike shoe, but when confronted with sand, silt and clay particles plus all sorts of grasses and plants, it jams and jams. Mine finally failed after about 6 months.

One note, no shop I could find carried this shoe. Most had not even heard of it. As expected, a few tried to argue me out of it or direct me to commuter type shoes. So annoying the bike industry doe snot understand the need for this type of shoe along with things like the Pearl X Alp.

Frank D   Weekend Warrior [Jun 29, 2012]
Strength:

Comfortable to walk and scramble in. Bought these specifically to address riding the rock in Utah. Hating the other shoes slipping around when i had to walk or un-clip. For a clipped in biking shoe the traction is amazing, especially in the forefoot or toe area, no spike holes or anything but sticky Fibram rubber. AND the side edge traction is good. I actually, even at the price, save them for rocky days, want them to last. Flexible but not too.

The BOA. Even if they say it's new and improved, it's going to cause problems, I can feel it. A cute little screwdriver is included to try to deal with it. I've just go to remind myself to be careful. Can't believe one good whack won't break them. Oh, and the price, $175.00. if it were fifty less I'd use them all the time. And i can see where they might not be much of an advantage at all if you NEED the toe spikes. And the wierd green (very small) accents, not necessary, really?

GREAT "rock" shoe and for just walking around. And not looking too much like a bike dork, if that sort of thing bothers you.