Specialized Expert MTB Shoes

Specialized Expert MTB Shoes

The Expert lives up to the World Cup performance level of our Pro shoes, with patented Body Geometry features, but uses an ultra-light, three-strap closure.

• Full-length FACT carbon midsole is ultra-light and rigid, with slight flex engineered in the toes to reduce heel lift during hike-a-bike sections: 9 stiffness index
  • Performance-enhancing BG contours in the outsole and BG+ High Performance Footbed
  • Durable injection composite, full-foot lugs for confident traction
  • Engineered Micromatrix upper is light, durable and supple fitting, with welded reinforcement in high wear panels
  • Ultra-vented tongue for breathability
  • 2-bolt SPD-style cleat pattern, compatible with all major MTB pedals

[Feb 21, 2012]
Xterra Rocks

Strength:

Very light weight for the price (becomes quite relevant while racing), while providing a stiff platform, and very comfortable (for me, anyway). I purchased these specifically for racing and will only wear on race day or on the days prior to a race. I purposely tried them on and purchased a snug fit--given their lack of flex (good thing), the tighter fit prevents my feet from dancing within the shoe. BTW, I wear mine without socks (quicker transitions during an off-road triathlon) and have never had an issue

Specialized products demand that extra $ premium, but the light weight while providing great stiffness and comfort was worth every dime.
Although I limit their use for race and pre-race rides, the sole at the toe end has begun to unglue--not an issue (still feels solid) but was not expecting this from a Specialized product.

For casual/fun riding one can find better values, but if going fast is important these shoes provide a very light weight (critical in racing as rotational weight is the most important to reduce), while stiff and comfortable option. Although the sole (at the toe) has begun to unglue (not affecting performance yet), I would purchase these again.

Regarding the ratings, well, it depends... If used for racing and trying to reduce that rotational weight (this is how I use them) I would give 5 Chilis on both accounts. If used for just hitting the trails and having some fun, I would rate them 3 for value and 4 Overall (since other good options can be found at a significantly lower price)

Always a good idea to establish a good relationship with your local bike shop, as they will likely take care of you when needed (no, I don't work for a bike shop, but I have experienced the great value of doing business with my local shop)

I hope you find this review useful, Cheers!

several brands. My Shimano M-225 pairs have been my bullet-proof work horse. Incredibly stiff and comfortable, but heavy (great for training)

OVERALL
[Oct 05, 2011]
vcnlite

Strength:

Very lightweight, comfortable, stiff, customization for footbed, and ventilation.

None so far

This is an initial review after doing my first ride on them. Rode 11 mi technical trail about 1 1/2 hr ride. My Nike's were falling apart and hurting my feet after 1 hr of riding. I bought the nicest one's back in the day and they were never that comfortable. So far these seem great. Half price of what I had, but they feel like they're half the weight and just as stiff. I've got a pretty high arch so I will probably check out the custom bg footbeds they offer. But even with the regular insoles they are a lot more comfortable then anything I've ever rode in. My foot seems alittle narrow for the shoe, so the velcro is over lapping alittle further than I'd like. But the higher arch insole may help there. Hopefully there won't be any problems with only velcro straps with mud and dirt. Otherwise great shoe that is comfortable, light weight, and feels way more efficient than my old ones. I will try and report back after a few more rides.

Nike Lance Armstrong MTB's. $300 in 2005