Specialized BG Trail 120 SL Shoes

• Body Geometry technology
  • Umma Gumma rubber outsole
  • Water-resistant Micromatrix upper

mblangbehn   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2011]
Strength:

light, stiff, very comfortable, can take a beating, clears mud well

List price is pretty crazy

Juat picked these up early this spring and they are without exception the best riding shoe I have ever used. They're listed as a trail shoe but I could race in these no problem at all. All Mountain riding in Western Washington State is pretty extreem no matter what time of the year and these shoes have held up to all of it. I'm not sure how warm they would be below freezing(haven't had the chance to test below that yet)but they're great in anything over it and keep you dry as well. The mud here can be crazy but these shoes clean up very easy. The size is just about right on. I thought they might run a little small at first but now having abused them a while they've broken in perfectly. I highly recomend these shoes to anyone that is into all mountain riding, the performance and protection is un-beatable. I would not have initially paid the $210.00 list price but now that I have ridden in them for a while I absoultely would.

Similar Products Used: Answer, Shimano, Nike
CDA MTBer   Weekend Warrior [Jul 04, 2009]
Strength:

light weight, stiff, good protection, durability, good traction on all types of surface from mud to rock.

Ridicously Way over priced! MSRP is a complete rip off. Specialized and every other manufacture out there needs to get in touch with reality on pricing from clothing, parts and bikes the prices just flat out suck.

other than the price these shoes rock! They have held up to abuse for over one year and show none of the previously mentioned problems. If you can get these shoes at a blow out sale I would highly recommend buying them which is why I am only giving them 4 flamin chilis.

Similar Products Used: Other specialized shoes, shimano shoes, cheap Nashbar shoes, SIDI shoes
string   Weekend Warrior [Apr 08, 2009]
Strength:

Light, good traction when off the bike and not clipped in

Downside to good traction is the soft rubber sole does not last. Lost the 1st lug with in a month of use and have lost several more over the years. Shoe Goo helped extend the life of these shoes

Decent fit, I really like the grip of the rubber used, but it comes at a significant cost in durability. The tread tears off at the base and I do not spend much time on rocky terrain.

If they were half the price or lasted longer would give 5 chili's, but since I have been repeatedly gluing the tread back to the sole I am less than impressed.

Spec' is on the right tract with this shoe, just not there yet.

Similar Products Used: Sidi Dominators
Pin   Weekend Warrior [Sep 19, 2008]
Strength:

Warm (I'm a girl!),almost waterproof, really comfy even first ride

Bit of wear on the rubber, maybe I need to get better at riding uphill!

Very pleased!

Similar Products Used: None yet
770nbp   Cross Country Rider [Aug 12, 2008]
Strength:

LIGHT, STIFF, GOOD FIT FOR NARROW FOOT, GREAT ANKLE SUPPORT, GREAT TO WALK IN BUT I DONT DO THAT OFTEN!

NONE SO FAR

AWESOME SHOES.

Similar Products Used: SIDI BULLETS AND DOMINATORS
latoks   Weekend Warrior [Jul 28, 2008]
Strength:

light,comfortable,stiff,ankle protection

The sole is made from putty!After 1 week in the Pyrenees there was nothing left of the sole,it had totally disintergrated.Stitching had come away,not tough enough to be called a trail shoe.

Shoes have been sent back to Specialized,awaiting verdict.A very comfortable shoe but not up to the job.Have had a pair of North Wave shoes for 5 years which are in a better condition.

Similar Products Used: North wave,Shimano
biker man   Weekend Warrior [Jun 26, 2008]
Strength:

light, solid sole with fact carbon, well made, fits to size, 4 strap velco adjustability, ankle protection, sticky rubber tread

Retail price is rediculous. I was lucky and bought these on a inventory liquidation sale and got them for a screaming deal.

I have enjoyed the shoes so far. They fit great and are extremely stiff when peddling. Mud and water don't seem to affect there performance. Hike a bike sections are good as the tread grips most surfaces well and there is little heel lift. If you can find these bad boys on sale I would highly recommend them. The only shoe lighter listed in the 2008 catalog is the s-works. But $200+ bones for a biking shoe....give us a break Specialized. I would give this shoe 5 flamin chilis but the price is crazy so I gave it an overall 4

Similar Products Used: other specialized shoes and shimano shoes
B Z   Cross Country Rider [Apr 05, 2006]
Strength:

Light,comfortable, fits wide feet well

color choices, pricy.

Bought these with my new bike. Great feel and power transfer to the pedal. Lighter than I thought they would be. Far exceeds the 661 shoes I have been wearing. Very walkable, and great in the mud. These came with mountable set of studs for the front of the toe on each shoe, with a supplied wrench. Clean up easy, and breathe well. Just wish they came in black. Great shoe with great protection.

Similar Products Used: 661
Joshua Easterling   Cross Country Rider [Jun 12, 2007]
Strength:

Very firm sole and extra support and protection. Very durable, thought they would die but keep on kicking only wear in the sole.

A little bit warmer (strength and weakness) But never unbearable

These shoes are awsome.Yes they are exspensive, but if I remember right they are hand made. Looking forward to another pair, rock solid. The body geometry aligning foot beds are comfy and do contribute to more efficiency and less fatigue. I have been hard on them and they feel the same a year later, wished they smelled that way too.

stripes   Cross Country Rider [Sep 26, 2006]
Strength:

Excellent shoe. I love the way the Specialized BG shoes fit my pronating feet. Very little break-in time needed (only a couple of rides). Extremely good power transfer.

These shoes are great for SPDs, even with the 647s. I thought I would need to cut away some of the sole, but it wasn't necessary.

Price, but hey, you get what you pay for.

Other than being on the expensive side, these shoes are excellent if they fit your foot and you pronate. I'll be putting them away for the winter though while I give the platform pedals a try. I do expect to go back to clipless though because I can really feel the power transfer with these shoes and pedal combo.

Similar Products Used: Older BG Specialized shoes, various Shimano shoes that don't fit my feet right.