Specialized BG Taho Shoes

• Ergonomic comfort
  • 2-bolt SPD-style cleat pattern
  • Padded Body Geometry insole

mark min   [Jul 02, 2012]
Strength:

Durable, reasonably stiff, reasonable to walk on. Excellent all-rounder.

Can get steamy in hot conditions.

Had mine since 2005. Used for riding a recumbent and road & touring bikes; c.50km/day every day in all kinds of weather, except deep snow. I've occasionally changed around the footbeds, but still have the originals. The shoes look a little scuffed here'n'there, and there's a small rip on the inside of the heels, but nothing that stops them working well. The rubber sole around the cleats has worn down, but the shoes are still functional. These have been my only shoe since 2005. I have no complaints. I wash them out every now and then, so they're not stinky. I've worn them on extended tours where they've endured riding through extensive flood waters and in very hot & humid conditions. They've done well. They're stretchy enough to accommodate thicker socks when necessary and stiff enough to transfer power for me. I have no idea how they'd go walking up and down rough trails, but they've served well on Australian roads, paths, and indoor areas, as well as Asian roads &c. They appear to be made of real suede and some synthetic materials. If you lace them with a fancy-nancy lace pattern that locks in place, you can adjust them easily to the contour of your foot and the velcro cover keeps the laces out of the way. Not as easy as velcro, but probably more robust in the long run. Great shoes for me; they may be great shoes for you. I wish they made them in a lighter color, or with a more open side panel for hotter conditions, but then they may not be as robust. I am only now replacing/supplementing them with a stiffer road-style shoe as I'm touring less and am after a more solid platform.

Westford   Weekend Warrior [Aug 07, 2011]
Strength:

Durable, bomb proof for new eng elements

Had this shoe since 2001!!! While I list myself as weekend warrior, let me tell you that I ride a min of ten miles an outing, usually more in all kinds of conditions, including some light snow riding early spring and race a few times a year and this shoe has taken it all. Glad I opted out of the over 100$ shoe group! I am recently replacing this with another Tahoe since I just tore the side of the outer fabric and don't want to chance it...just spray the suckers after each ride so they don't smell narly.

u35828   Weekend Warrior [Jun 03, 2011]
Strength:

I don't have to walk like a duck, and my heel doesn't feel like it's about to pop out when pedaling or walking.

None so far. I will have to see if I'm still enamored over them after doing a century.

This shoe would be appropriate gear for a cyclotourist or recreational cyclist, given that walking would be involved rather heavily for those class of riders.

I find that the shoes are comfortable to wear while on or off the bike. The toe box is generously sized; in the size 42s, my toes don't feel squished.

One nice touch is the the velcro strap that goes over the top; it does a great job in helping keep my feet secure in the shoe without too much fuss.

The cutout for the cleat is wide enough for an SPD-style cleat. For this application, I used the Shimano SH-51 single-release variety.

Similar Products Used: An 11 year-old pair of Lake cycling/hiking shoes. The sole was separating from the shoe, which necessitated the replacement with the Tahoes.
michael573114   Cross Country Rider [Mar 03, 2011]
Strength:

Comfortable, velcro over laces, decent treads

had to repair the sole

These shoes are great. They're very comfortable on or off the trail (I wore them around a weekend when my other shoes got soaked). I love the velcro to keep the laces out of the way, and like the laces better than I'd like velcro straps. The soles have decent treads for when you need to hike a bit. They're nice and stiff so you transfer lots of the power to the pedals.

I did have to repair the sole on one with some shoe goo, it ripped a bit next to the cleat. Not a big deal, it took me 10 minutes and about $5 to repair it. But I've had them since 2006 and they're still otherwise in perfect shape.

I'd buy them again for sure.

Jimicarl   Cross Country Rider [Dec 17, 2010]
Strength:

Comfortable. Durable. Great for walking

Sole is soft enough that it will tear on rocks. Tread is shallow enough to be a bit slick in mud.

I'd recommend these shoes to anyone other than hard-core MTB racers, extremely aggressive pushers, or those who live on their bikes day-after-day. We're trail-riders. 95% singe-track off-road. Weekend warriors in the winter, ride several times a week when the days are longer, and take a couple riding vacations every year. We tend to walk when it get's uber steep in either direction, or the rocks are particularly sharp. Nothing lasts forever - but these shoes have outlasted my dirability expectations and continue to be one of the best biking purchases I've ever made. Will probably go to another pair whenever my current shoes finally give it up.

Similar Products Used: Variety of similar shoes
lazybeaner   Weekend Warrior [Nov 17, 2010]
Strength:

good grip on the trail, not too stiff. Doesnt look like a "Race" shoe.

material breaks down, the body geometry sole makes my feet go numb.

Really wanted to like these shoes, but the BG sole just did not work for me and would make my feet go numb (like they fell asleep).

Im also a little disappointed in the material, my 6 year old Answers that have seen 2X the mileage are in better shape.

Similar Products Used: OLd pair of Answer shoes, shimano M086l.
Dycker   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2009]
Strength:

great everyday looking shoe, great for hiking, seems stiff enough for long rides

Shoes are built like crap! After the second ride the fabric on the sides of the shoes had ripped, the rip is not considered a manufacters defect so warranty was not available so I repaired with some glue. After day 2 of a 3 day race, the rubber sole had a 3 inch tear which I could fit 3 fingers through into the shoe

This is a great shoe for casual riding but when it comes to cross country epics ... STAY AWAY!

Waterat Pat   Cross Country Rider [Jun 04, 2009]
Strength:

Super Comfortable decent weight excellent for hike a bike action as the sole actually flexes

Did not last sole cracked at the cleat.

Just wished they had lasted as I liked them. To add insult to injury I pitched em in disgust and later found out that Specialized knows about this defect and will give you a new pair if you bring them back broken.

Similar Products Used: Old specialized Rockhoppers that I am now using again.
slobikerat   Weekend Warrior [Jun 03, 2009]
Strength:

Durable, comfortable, walkable, hikeable, look good, good cafe shoes

hard to clean, laces frayed quickly

I really like these shoes. I ride to school, commute, ride fire roads, some moderate single track, a little XC and some cyclocross with these and they have held up to everything very well. Not the stiffest shoe by any means but man are they comfortable. They dont click when walking around in them (crank brothers cleats installed), look pretty sharp under a pair of decent jeans when going to the coffee shop, and dont look super goofy when wearing shorts. If you are a "strictly for fun" type of rider or a commuter these shoes fit the bill. Mine probably have close to 2k miles and they are going strong, i expect to get another 2k out of them. Mine came with garbage laces but that was quickly fixed. I liked that i did not have to trim the soles on these! Solid recreational shoe!

92gli   Weekend Warrior [May 28, 2009]
Strength:

Comfy to walk in.

Heavy. Not suited for serious riding. Sole flex will kill your feet on a serious ride.

These shoes are great for what they are - a casual shoe to wear when you're riding your bike over to a friends house for beers or going to class at school.
I made the mistake of wearing these on a 3 hour ride because my other shoes were in my wife's trunk. My feet were killing me. I suppose if you used these with a pedal that has a large body that could support your foot then it would be ok - but not with the shim. 540's I use.