Specialized BG Sawpit Shoe Shoes

BG Sawpit Shoe

First shoe to fully recognize the performance and protection requirements for the aggressive trail rider. The namesake of one of our favorite testing trails in the Santa Cruz Mountains. It is known for it's steep drops, high speed technical rocky sections and some serious hike-a-bike

Jesse   Cross Country Rider [Mar 28, 2006]
Strength:

fast on and off, recessed cleat is nice and quiet. out of the box it came with cleats that work in all my shimano mtn pedals. my first ride I crossed a creek and dunked both feet, then continued to ride 30 miles without any uncomfort. lightweight and reinforced where it needs to be, this is a tough shoe for everyday riding.

probably designed for summer riding, this shoe lets water and cold in when you don't want it to. I'd suggest booties of some sort with them. expensive, but I have a hard time finding the right shoe in my size.

I wear a 15 in US Men shoes, but it's hard to find that in European sizes. The Shimano 48 fit perfectly. I had a pair from about six years ago, and thought it would be worth a a shot. I tried the Lake MX 165 48's, and they were way too small.
These are a bit Frankenstein, but whatever, it's better than those lame road lookin' shoes that I see some guys in the forest wear.

Ride Arcata, and shop at Revolution!!

Similar Products Used: My first pair of spd shoes was from the online shop at specialized, overstock or something so they were really cheap five years ago, and I've been rockin' them ever since. I've tried other shoes, Exus or something and the sole split in half after a few months.
Reub   [Mar 10, 2006]
Strength:

Great sole/footbed - stiff, light, 3/4 carbon with flexy toe. Very comfortable for walking (with modifications - see below), recessed cleat doesn't click on pavements (yeah!). Body geometry footbed definitely feels good for my knees when riding and fine for walking, there is loads of movement allowed in the cleat (with shimano M520 spds), so knees are not stressed. Wide foot bed and roomy toe box. Carbon ankle protection.

Looks like something off the set of Star-trek! Tongue is thin and not padded at all (I had to add an extra tongue cut from my old Diadoras - now the shoe really hugs my feet when I walk and cycle and doesn't flop around - this could be that the shoe is simply a bit too big for me, so others may not find the tongue a problem). I'm a bit dubious about one side of the tongue not being joined to the shoe; will the rain get in...? We'll see. The complete lack of LACES (daft!) means you really have to stretch the velcro over. Not sure how long they'll last taking all the load on just two sets of buckles, but they look fine so far.

For 39 pounds sterling - bargain. (www,evanscycles.co.uk have got them on sale in most sizes)

For all it's ugliness and design faults in the tongue and no lace set-up, this shoe rocks! The sole alone is soooooo great. You don't feel the cleat under foot when walking at all due to carbon fibre plate. With the extra thick padded tongue I added, the shoe holds my foot well - it just feels like a normal shoe/boot. So comfy AND light! I also added an extra inner sole under the BG insole, and they're a bit softer to walk in now.

Sizing surprisingly seems 'normal', as most SPD's I've tried are not standard sizes (Diadora Santa Cruz 43 is about a 41, for example), I am a size 9 and bought a size 44 - it's a tad too big, but is a perfect fit with the extra tongue and extra insole. They've got a wide toe-box, so toes are not squashed at all - really comfy.

Being black and shiney, could just about pass as a smart work shoe.

So, basically, these shoe/boots are so comfy you forget you are wearing them when walking, and are light and stiff enough for great power transfer when riding. Chunky treads will grip on muddy slopes and pavements alike.

They are a bit breasy above the toes - not good for cold winter days, but saying that they did keep my foot dry in the rain. I think they are designed to be highly breathable for hot dry climates. In very cold/wet weather, I'd recommend an overshoe. The cleats are recessed enough so that they don't click when you walk.

Bar a few design features that could be improved, these shoes are fantastic! If they had laces, a more padded tongue, and looked a little less spacey, in my opinion, they'd be perfect.

Similar Products Used: Diadora Santa-Cruz (too small - hense 1.5 painful years - didn't know SPD's could be comfy!)
Ryan R   Weekend Warrior [May 19, 2007]
Strength:

Great support
Recessed cleat area
Tough upper sole and boot material
Long Lasting Sticky Tread
Easy in and easy off sue to three strap design
Cool and comfortable due to ample vents and snug fit
Great support due to high top boot like build

F.A.C.T carbon inserts are complete junk (See below)

This shoe was great while it lasted and I thought was going to last me a long time. The sole durability and upper material could really take a beating. The were comfy and felt good to be in even when a little hiking was needed. I'm kinda of upset they are dead and hate all these ratchet closed designs for shoes these days. When I''m done riding I want to get my shoes off and relax not fuss with some stupid ratchet. Three straps was great with no laces to bother me or anything else most people come up with these days. Still to use Carbon Fiber on the sole where the cleat attaches to the shoe is just DUMB! I torqued it right and even used a small plastic shim so not to score the carbon fiber and damage it. Instead the carbon fiber came apart closer to the sole of the shoe and now looks like any day it will fall apart. So after less than a year on a pair of shoes I have to get a new pair. I love specialized shoes but I think I may try another brand. To use carbon fiber on a shoe that is supposed to be used for tough riding is just dumb. Why is the fascination with carbon fiber anyway all it does is break when you least expect it. I'm so done with the junk and will never use it again. Good value and great shoe if the cleat area didn't self destruct in a short time.

Similar Products Used: Other specialized shoes
Diadora
Axo
Sidi
Mark   Weekend Warrior [Oct 09, 2006]
Strength:

comfortable, protective

These shoes are the most comfortable shoes I have used since my '98 Cannondale C-soles. They are nice to walk in, very comfortable on the bike, and give you added ankle protection. The angled footbed ( body geometry ) also keeps your feet from going numb on long rides. The other reviews talk about the shoe being uncomfortable without a tongue, but It seems just fine to me. The sole of the shoe is also very tacky so you have that extra sure footedness when hiking around. Great shoe, but hurry if you want them because this is an '05 shoe and was replaced by the Buzzsaw for '06.