Specialized BG Expert Shoes

BG Expert

• Full length FACT carbon midsole
  • Hard molded toe kick protector
  • Durable thermoplastic sole
  • Engineered Micromatrix upper
  • 2-bolt SPD-style cleat pattern

ehigh   Weekend Warrior [Jun 25, 2011]
Strength:

I actually have the road version of this mountain shoe, but I must say that I love them. I got the BG Expert Road shoe a little over six months ago and using these was the first time I used cleats. It took some getting use to but they're definitely worth it!

It took a few months to break them in so that they were comfortable. I think it had to do with the FACT Carbon outsole. This ultimately is a strength, but a weakness at first.

I absolutely love the road cycling version of these shoes, so I would imagine that the mountain ones would also be great!

If you're buying these at a shop, as if you can demo a pair on some XC trails or at least in their parking lot!

Similar Products Used: First shoes with cleats. I use these while road cycling. When I go mountain biking I'll wear some Five. Ten shoes
midlifechrisis   Cross Country Rider [May 26, 2011]
Strength:

Super light, stiff sole, very comfortable.

Took a couple of months to break in.

Best shoes I have ever owned. I'm a big trail riding type rider, rather than a skinny weight weenie racer, but I can notice the advantage of light weight & stiffness on all types of terrain. I have wide feet & they fit me perfectly, though they did take a couple of months to wear in. Having borrowed a pair of much heavier trail shoes for a day recently, I realise how comfortable these are. The sole is as stiff as you could want & the uppers are well vented without being full of big holes like my old Raptors. Also, I personally much prefer the triple velcro over the ratchet system of fastening. Ratchets are the first thing to fail on shoes in my experience- also they cost more, clog in thick mud & weigh more than velcro.

Similar Products Used: Northwave Raptor
meltingfeather   Racer [May 13, 2011]
Strength:

reliability, comfort, closure

Specialized works for my wide feet. Great performance and durability.

Similar Products Used: Sidi, Shimano
erie   Cross Country Rider [Jan 01, 2008]
Strength:

Super light, super stiff, easy hiking, and easy adj.

Cost

Holey smokes this is a great shoe! Worth at least a gear under all conditions compared to its predecessor. These fit me like a glove and the lasts are very similar throughout the line.

The carbon gives me a great platform for out of the saddle climbs and give me leverage for spinning that is fantastic. The old shoe was pretty stiff with the plastic, the new show is perfect. Yet, it is easy to walk around in if you have to. Save the money on the ratchet adjuster style and go with these. The only nit is the lack of ankle protection, ehhh.