Specialized BG Defroster Shoes

• Lightweight nylon sole
  • Reflective heel

[Dec 27, 2012]
Kimberle Ganzer-Wiley

Strength:

These shoes are very water proof and comfortable and easy to put on!

Slippery soles off the bike and feet do not stay warm!

My husband bought the Defrosters for both of us for Christmas (ahead of time). We have tried everything to keep our feet warm, double socks, talcum powder on the feet to make sure they are dry, and I have used heat packs for my toes to no avail. The inside of the shoe produces a lot of moisture and consequently, our feet freeze while into any ride at the 30 minute mark. We have ridden in as high as 45 with them and as low as 15 and they get cold! We are very frustrated as we thought they would keep our feet warm above ten degrees!

[Jan 22, 2010]
fsrftc

Strength:

they seem like they'd be able to handle wear really well with the rubberized reinforcements

I know winter shoes aren't for racing but the specialized defrosters are simply awful.

1) the body geometry foot beds make my knees hurt
2) they are pointless to wear under 45 degrees my feet get cold on a 30 minute commute in anything under 30 degrees, in fact I really can't answer the question
what temp these work?" at yet, I've only ridden up to about 42 and my feet were still icicles when i was done riding after 3.5 hours.
3) they appear to have robbed me of about 20 watts of power at a given HR. My cleat placement may have been off a little but srsly...for what you pay for these shoes they are absolute JUNK.

I'll probably end up wearing these for mountain rides in the fall and spring just to save my other shoes from abuse.

these are NOT winter shoes, these are fall/spring shoes at BEST, in fact my feet got cool (not cold) on my spin bike in the basement wearing these.

I think they actually suck the heat from your feet.

Lake MXZ302

[Dec 26, 2009]
rb

Strength:

Dry, warm in reasonably cold conditions

Soles are dangerously slippery if you must walk on icy surfaces

These shoes are excellent from <10C down to -5C or so - 2 hour rides can be quite manageable, and in temperatures from -5 down to -15C it is possible to make it through shorter rides. We have sub-freezing temperatures off and on through October and November, mixed with periods of light rain only slightly above freezing, and then snow from early December to late April - so shoes like these are not just for occasional use. Normally I wear a size 44, but went up to a 45 so that I could wear a pair of thicker ski socks.
At the lower temps my feet stay warm for the first half an hour or so, then progressively lose feeling over the next half hour - thereafter it is a question of how numb I am willing to let them get. No matter what, when you are clipped into SPDs, the cold conducts through to your feet, but these shoes make 1-1.5 hour rides manageable in the cold. At the moderately cold temperatures (-5 to +5C), it makes the rides of 2 hours comfortable and even longer rides manageable. If you have a real winter riding season these shoes are worth the investment.

[Nov 14, 2007]
Grant Thomson

Strength:

Lightweight, Extremely Stiff Sole, Warm, Good shedding durt

Neoprene cuff around ankle has potential to let a bit of water in

I have seen many comments around the net stating, "Specialized are American, how can they make a waterproof winter shoe, it doesn't rain there!", well, quite clearly those individuals were rather badly misinformed, look at tyre technology and you see that some of the best mud handling tyres are made by Specialized and to make mud you need rain, so don't judge this book by it's cover.

I have only recently purchased these shoes and they are without a doubt the comfiest cycling shoes I have ever worn, The sizing is the same as what I would need for most trainers.

Initially I got sore feet for the first hour or so using these, partly because of them being new shoes, partly because the sole is rock solid. When you are used to other manufacturers shoes you instantly notice that your feet are staying glued in the optimum position giving both a high level of stability whilst pedalling, and also a power delivery to the pedal which still amazes me, for the first time ever I very nearly enjoy pumping out the saddle going up steep hills, these shoes make it effortless.

The shoes have been through rain, they've been ankle deep in mud, did my feet stay dry? well apart from being sweaty from the thermal sock like warmth they were bone dry!!! The only potential for a bit of leakage is the ankle cuff, I don't have any problems as I use waterproof trousers which wrap over the cuff, though if you leave the cuff exposed I would expect the odd trickle of water to creep in.

These shoes prove to be excellent value for money, I tried Northwave, and Shimano shoes before I purchased these and none of them fitted my broad feet, so if you have wider than average feet these shoes are perfect.

Off the bike these shoes seem somewhat awkward if you try to walk normally, you find yourself up on the front of your feet in order to get a semi-normal walking motion, but the grips are excellent at finding traction on every surface I have hit them with including wet rock and ankle deep mud.

To sum up, these are excellent high quality, light weight, extremely warm, waterproof winter shoes, well worth the 100 pound spent on them, and all from a manufacturer based somewhere that it apparantly doesn't rain!!!

Diadora Summit Shoes (15 year old) and Northwave Overshoes