Specialized BG Comp Shoes

• Engineered MicroMatrix synthetic leather
  • Patented Body Geometry outsole & footbed design

[Aug 17, 2011]
agrntluf

Strength:

Stiff, lightweight, ventilation

Durability

Stitching in shoes started coming loose almost immediately. Ratchet straps seemed to get scuffed up requiring replacement. Plastic cleats on bottom break off eventually. Specialized should stick to making frames.

Shimano, Pearl Izumi

[Mar 03, 2011]
westeast

Strength:

Fit. I like the whole BG concept and angled sole.

Durability. Buckle.

Shoe fit very well, but the buckle was a little finicky and the big downer was when the plastic strap broke in a place that renders a good shoe now worthless. The higher end models allow you to replace this strap, but I can't on this model. I also do not like that Specialized has gone to the whole 1 brand style shop.

Sidi

[Jan 18, 2011]
jadedbee

Strength:

wide toe box with secure heel = best fit for me
BG foot bed increased my power and relieved knee pain
light, look great, fair price

durability
clips can jam and break off easy
tread can interfere with some pedals

Hands down best fit ever for my wide feet with stubby toes! My heal doesn't slip as the cup is very well shaped, yet my toes can wiggle and the sides of my foot don't cramp. Also, the Body Geometry tilted foot bed feels so natural and was such an improvement to the alignment of my pedal stroke. I would get knee pain on long climbs before; now I'm pain free with a much more even load and more power transmitted downward. Even if these shoes aren't for you, try putting the BG replacement soles in your shoes of choice!
I was trying out Crank Bros Candy pedals when I first got these shoes and had to trim some of the tread to get it to engage properly. I've since gone back to SPDs and they have no issues (I wish I had not trimmed the little I did as they would be more stable on the SPDs if I left them alone).
I have broken off 4 of these clips (the red "release" tab on the older models) while riding when I struck a rock. At first I had to order the replacements through the Specialized website ($$), but my local dealer has since started stocking the newly designed white replacement clip. I have not broke any of the newer design in the 2 years plus I've had them on. They also release easier, but can still get jammed with dried mud.
You can hurt the top of your foot if you over tighten the strap. For this reason, along with the finicky clips, I might try the triple velcro version when I replace these.
The toes began to separate from the sole after 2 years, but I've kept them rolling with Shoe Goop for another 2 years.

Shimano beginner shoes with laces (heavy!),
tried on mid priced Shimano, Sidi, Pearl Izumi and Adidas

[Aug 05, 2010]
sulhogar

Strength:

Shoe fits comfortably. There's no excessive rubbing, and after a 40 mile trail ride through mud, rock gardens, and roots, my feet still didn't hurt.

Durability and price point are a strong factor in this negative review.

I'm so disappointed by the durability of these shoes that I can't recommend purchasing them to anyone. The fact that they fit great, look stylish, and cause no foot pain or numbing in my feet makes it even harder to say no to these. The shoes simply can't hold up to any sort of a beating. If you down your bike as much as I do (because you're just beginning) then purchase a cheaper and more durable shoe. One snag on your large chainring and you'll lose a strap right off the shoe. My lower toe strap is hanging on by about 1cm of synthetic leather right now.

[Jul 17, 2010]
Evan Flaherty

Strength:

tough exterior construction. stiff when I need them to be. breathes well.

ratchet strap across top of my foot cuts off circulation so I usually ride without it latched at all. Maybe my feet got bigger and they just don't fit anymore lol.

I like the design but hate the straps. top strap is too short to latch most of the time

first pair of bike shoes I've owned

[May 19, 2010]
djf500

Strength:

I like the Specialized BG fit. These shoes are light enough, stiff, and OK to walk in when needed. They also vent well. I've been very happy with their performance on short & long rides alike.

Owned 2 pairs of these. Both have lasted 2 summers (I'm East Coast so different shoes for the winter). The 1st pair tore at the mesh due to an obstacle on the trail. However, the 2nd pair the buckle strap is tearing off of the flap the hold the top strap in place. This will make the shoes useless.

Good shoes but questionable quality. Why spend $100-140 ever two years for shoes? Is that the life span of all mtb shoes? My buddy has had the same pair of Sidi Dominators for 10 years so maybe I'll invest in those and get my roi in a few yeras.

[May 02, 2010]
plepak

Strength:

they come in wide for my big wide feet

buckle & strap

The wide width is definitely a plus but they just dont work for me . The strap is what bothers me the most. It digs in to the top of my ankle. the fit is OK but I would not say they are comfortable.Want to replace the buckle and strap with sidi if possible. Read you could but it doesnt look like the sidi strap will screw in to the shoe.

sidi dominator

[Apr 08, 2010]
adventureboy27

Strength:

-great fit, snug but not tight
-supportive for my foot
-i like the angle it allows for peddle power

-buckle is finicky
-perhaps a little breathy for colder temps, walked through snow and felt damp pretty fast

i like this shoe a lot and have put close to 75 miles on them since i bought them last week. people mention the buckle as a recurring point of focus. the trick for me is to engage the release mechanism and then just apply pressure up and away from the strap, like you are trying to push through it. it instantly releases. i do not know if this is gonna be bad for the strap in the long run, but it has suited me just fine

[Mar 17, 2010]
BikeSwan

Strength:

- Looks discreet
- Not too expensive

- Looks cheaper than how much you pay
- Cheap materials
- Lots of pressure points

I would not recommend this shoe as it is uncomfortable, expensive for what it is, and just isnt as good as the equivalent Shimano or Sidi. After a week I took them back and have now purchased a pair of Shimano SH-M161G Shoes.

I haven't used something this bad

[Feb 03, 2010]
Geoff

Strength:

Great shoe for the price. Comfortable for long rides. Durable (not including the buckle) in the mud and wet.

BUCKLE BUCKLE BUCKLE. My last pair of SIDIs lasted me 12 years and I only had to replace one buckle the whole time. With the BGs, I broke one the first day and after a year of riding, I can hardly get my foot out because the buckle doesn't release well.

I need to figure out a way to replace the buckle with a SIDI buckle. I'll have to shave the rubber buckle protector on the shoe down, but I'll be damned if I spend $15.00 per shoe to replace the buckles with the same crap they came with.
Overall, great shoe. And at least the buckle doesn't fail loose, it fails stuck.
I think Specialized has always made excellent bikes at a good value . . . and that their clothing had always been cheap and crappy. These shoes are well made and if the buckle wasn't an issue I'd have given the shoe 5 chilis overall.

SIDI dominators and techno fire, some mid range shimano shoes