Specialized BG Comp Carbon Shoes

• 2-bolt SPD-style cleat pattern
  • Patented Body Geometry technology
  • Engineered MicroMatrix synthetic leather

Jeff Szmyd   Cross Country Rider [Jul 02, 2007]
Strength:

Comfort. Arch and metatarsal support from footbed. They look cool.

Price of the footbed. Jury is still out for product durability.

A few years ago I switched from Shimano to Specialized BG because 1) the shoe fit well, and 2) I was having knee problems and the Boulder Center For Sports Medicine recommended that I go with these shoes. What a difference it made! My knee pain went away as well as the usual toe numbness that I would get during longer rides along with the pain in the middle of my foot that I would get after several months of long rides. I would highly recommend any of the Specialied BG shoes.

My first pair wore out after about 3 years, I decided to go with the Carbon Comp model for the lightness and stiffness of the carbon sole. After several months of riding with them, I am very pleased with how they feel and how they make my feet feel.

The only negative I have to add is that the velcro strap from my first pair didn't have much grip and was about at the point of not being functional by the time the sole wore out. In fact, I had the same problem with the BG gloves. Very week velcro! So we will see how these do. I'll take one chili off of the value rating because of this.

Similar Products Used: Specialized BG Sport mountain bike shoe.
Conrad   Weekend Warrior [Jan 02, 2007]
Strength:

Looks great, really comfortable, and relatively stiff (but to be expected with a carbon sole)

DURABILITY!!!

I’ve been riding in these shoes for about 6 months now. The sole is separating from the base of the shoe and the stud hole threads are stripped. I try to be very careful with my gear, so it’s not like these shoes have been thrashed. They are simply falling apart. Yes, they look great and are really comfortable, but the durability just isn’t there.

These shoes are quite expensive in Australia. They retail for $300 AUD. Next time I’ll be going for the Shimano's again. I'd only recommend these shoes to someone who wants to look flash on bike paths, because take them off road and they’ll fall apart.

Similar Products Used: Various Shimano shoes
Daffyd   Racer [Jun 28, 2006]
Strength:

Comfortable, supportive, stiff. They also look good.

Heel pocket could be snugger, but the Pro version with the ratchet might have solved this.

Was having all kinds of knee problems. A fit revealed my right knee was collapsing inward putting pressure on the front, inside portion of my joint. The fit guy moved my feet closer together by adjusting the cleat and suggested swapping my slipper comfortable Sidis for the much more aggressive 2006 Specialized Comp Carbons with Specialized footbeds.

The footbeds support my high arches really well -- so well that at first I was really uncomfortable. But after I got used to them and used to my new cleat position, my knee pain has disappeared.

If you have knee issues, get a fit done and consider shoes with some technology in them. Best money you'll ever spend.