Sidi Dominator 4 Shoes

Now you can achieve an even more precise, custom fit with your favorite Sidi's with the new Ultra SL buckle.

Michael Burkhardt   Cross Country Rider [Feb 12, 2006]
Strength:

Italian shoe magic. They've been making shoes for a long time over there and the fit is impeccable. Lorica material is bulletproof

These shoes have seen a slide in quality since the Dominator 1 and Dominator 2 eras. The new $229 price is laughable... There is some fat guy from Sidi on a beach somewhere, smoking a cigar with his buddies and ridiculing our American consumer spending habits. Despite the strengths mentioned above, the buckle design sucks. It comes unscrewed, jams, and after a few technical rides between rocks, logs, and boulders, it breaks- rendering the shoe useless. To add insult to injury, they ding you $20-30 for replacements. Apparently, I wasn't the only one with the problem as I had to wait to get my replacement buckles for over a month because they were sold out. Rep was rude too.

I'm not buying another pair of these overpriced, over-hyped pieces of garbage. I'm looking to find a shoe that doesn't have all the buckle riff-raff, and has a simple, velcro three strap design. Carnac, perhaps.

Similar Products Used: Carnac
Caley Fretz   Racer [Dec 11, 2007]
Strength:

Most comfortable shoe I have ever used. Stiff sole.

Buckle goes bad after a while, and sometimes clogs and won't let your foot out.

For me, the annoying buckle issue is worth dealing with for the amazing comfort of these shoes. I have tried new shoes, but keeping back to sidis because I just forget they are there when I'm riding. I will continue to buy them for their excellent fit.

BKF   Cross Country Rider [Feb 23, 2008]
Strength:

Fit; durability.

That buckle? PRICE.

Finally retiring these after 6 years of use. Fit was great, like gloves for my feet. The buckle does get a little clogged sometimes, but never broke on me. A lot of people hate the buckle, but I think it contributes to the good, solid fit of these shoes. Against my better judgment I am replacing them with Sidi Bullet 2's to save some bucks. Those look about the same, but with a third velcro strap over the arch area rather than the buckle strap. I guess I'll find out if the buckle really does make a difference...

Similar Products Used: Shimano stuff.
tony   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2006]
Strength:

They look good but I do not think that counts.

I will make this short. The buckles suck. They get losse and if you dont catch it they will fall off. That is unless you get mud on the buckles or some other debris then you can not get the shoes off.

Do not spend the cash for these. Shoes should work for what these cost and the buckles are 20.00 to replace adding additional cost to the shoe. If there was a flammer for zero this would be it.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Spec. Answer
Deaglan O'Neill   [Feb 02, 2004]
Strength:

A plain black shoe in a cycling world obsessed with bright and camp colours.

Crap velcro straps, not stiff enough sole.

Owned these for about a year. Used 4-5 times a week on Time Atac pedals. Initially ok but then velcro straps start to loose their ability to stay closed. Screw regularly loosens from tensioning strap also. The sole seems to wear out despite not walking a great deal in them. Owned a pair of Carnacs before and they were really stiff, real leather and lasted me four years. The SIDIs are still intact but have worn badly and quickly in 12 months. Sole could be more stiff. Straps could do with being longer and made with better quality velcro.

Similar Products Used: Carnac, shimano
E   Cross Country Rider [May 03, 2006]
Strength:

Narrow fit available, comfortable

BUCKLLE SUCKS, Price

When I saw that there was a company finally making shoes for those of us with narrow feet, I thought it was great. But, that feeling was quickly killed as it routinely takes me 4 or 5 minutes to get the things off my feet - at least they're comfortable. No matter where I'm riding, these buckles jam with whatever plant matter is available. I honestly can't see how these things are worth what they're charging. Find a different shoe.

Similar Products Used: Specialized
John   [Apr 12, 2005]

Extremely premature wear

After three years, my original Dominators' inboard strap mounts are about to rip out, so I bought a replacement pair last year. So far so good.

Well, maybe not so good. The new ones are about to rip through on their outside edges after only two months. They scraped against granite during technical riding a couple of times, but it was in an area where I've been riding for years in the old pair. I could depend on their toughness.

Could it be that last year's Dominators had a bad batch of Lorica? Considering Lorica is a man-made material, is that even possible? It has affected my riding because I'm shying away from brushing up against trailside rocks in places where I never used to give that a thought.

Similar Products Used: Answer
Pete Vavaroutsos   [Aug 14, 2005]
Strength:

Good fit for narrow feet.

Weak buckles. Soles wear quickly.

I have been using these shoes since spring. They fit well and held up to many stream/creek crossings. However, the screws that hold the buckles to the shoes are always coming loose. After only 6 months of weekend riding, both buckles broke. The attachment area of the buckles is thin plastic and the screw hole is too close to the edge. A poor design in my opinion. For the price of these shoes, they should have lasted much longer. I'm going to contact Veltec Sports for warranty repair and see what happens.

Similar Products Used: Nike, original dominator.
Peter Vavaroutsos   Weekend Warrior [Aug 18, 2005]

This is a follow up to my previous review. Veltec Sports (importer of Sidi to USA) informed me that mechanical parts such as the buckles, straps, cleat plates, etc. are not covered under warranty. However, I did receive a pair or buckles in the mail even though they didn't make any promisses to send them. I think Veltec Sports is trying to stand behind the product even though Sidi isn't and clearly has some design problems with the buckles. 5 chilis for Veltec and 1 for Sidi makes an average of 3 chilis.

doug v   Weekend Warrior [Mar 06, 2005]
Strength:

Italian made quality; great fit.

Hmmm, the leather did shrink after getting very wet a few years back and in harsh, rocky conditions, the shoe lacks toe protectors/bumpers.

First off, I don't know what I paid, though I'm betting I didn't pay MSRP- I'm too cheap. I also wanted a pair of shoes that were a bit wider in the toe box without going into a mega size shoe (Nikes are very narrow). I've had these for several years and they are still holding up well. The bottoms are worn, but I have been riding in the desert southwest for the past several years. I replaced the buckles some time back- okay, that's expected. At first, they fit well and maintained there shape. But, after some serious wet-weather riding (Tacoma, WA- I used them for commuting too), the shrunk just a hair. I've been riding them like that for about 2 years and now it is time to replace them (though I will keep them around for visitors or as an extra pair for those just in case moments). I'll try other shoes, probably the Shimano, Specialized, and the Supergo. I'm looking at the Carnac as well, but I am sure once I find the price I am willing to pay, I will get another pair of Dominator's- but in one size bigger. For the price, toe spikes should be included in all except the cheapest shoes.