Sidi Dominator 4 Mega Shoes

Dominator 4 Mega

The Dominator 4 Mega has all the features of the standard Dominator, but offers extra wide fit and a fuller design throughout.

Eric   Cross Country Rider [May 27, 2003]
Strength:

Lots of adjustability.

Long term comfort and odd straps protruding from shoe.

I've always been relucant to try the Sidis due to their high retail price. When I had the opportunity to get a pair at cost, I decided to give them a try. I still have a pair of Shimano shoes (that look like 3/4 top hiking boots) that I wear on occassion too.

First, the Sidi sizing is a bit odd. My foot is not particularly wide, but the non-Mega Sidis were too tight. The Megas felt much more comfortable so I went with them.

When I first put them on, the shoes feel very comfortable. However after longer rides the balls of my feet (where the SPD attaches) gets very sore. In 8+ years of riding SPDs this has never been an issue. Maybe the minimal insole has something to do with this?

The strap that goes across the top of the shoe and into the buckle also causes pain on rides where there there is running/walking involved. The straps dig into the front of my ankles at the top of the shoe's tounge, making for a sore leg.

The shoe sole's stiffness is noticable. On the bike the addded stiffness is very appreciated. However, on rides that turn into a hike-a-bike, the added stiffness makes walking more difficult. For racing stiff soles is a good feature. For riding around and exploring, it's not so good - try carrrying your bike up a long steep rocky slope in Sidis and you'll wish you had on different shoe. I'll take my less rigid, but nice for walking Shimano SPDs over these any day if I think a trail might have long sections of carrying the bike.

Lastly, the adjuster on the inside of the shoes that conrols how tight the racheting adjuster is, often gets caught on the pedals in technical sections of trails. The end of the adjuster is a flap that sticks out a little beyond the shoe. When I kick my feet around to control the bike, the flap often catches on the cranks, and offers enough resistance to be bothersome. While having the adjustment is nice, having the adjuster catch on the bike in not. A pair of sissors will remove the flap, making future adjustments impossible.

After using cheap ($80) for years I thought that the Sidis would "wow" me. They've not done that. I've never had a complaint with any shoes I've ever used in the past. With the Sidis I have a lot of complaints. When I first put the Sidi on it feels great (compared to the Shimano). 20 miles later I'm cursing the Sidis, and the Shimanos feel exactly as they did when I put them on - comfortable enough to ride all day.

The value rating can't be high. Even at 1/2 the retail price, I'd still buy something else.

The overall rating is a bit higher because they do have their good points. They're very stiff - good for racing. If my feet didn't hurt by the end of hte race, I'd give it higher marks.

I have freinds that own the same shoes, and they think that they're the greatest think since sliced bread, so your comfort may vary.

Similar Products Used: I've geen using SPDs for 8 years. I've owned a couple of pairs of Shimano shoes, one pair of Specialized shoes, and now the Sidis.
Michael   Cross Country Rider [Feb 12, 2006]
Strength:

Italian shoe magic. They've been making shoes for a long time over there and the fit is impeccable. Lorica material is bulletproof.

These shoes have seen a slide in quality since the Dominator 1 and Dominator 2 eras. The new $229 price is laughable... There is some fat guy from Sidi on a beach somewhere, smoking a cigar with his buddies and ridiculing our American consumer spending habits. Despite the strengths mentioned above, the buckle design sucks. It comes unscrewed, jams, and after a few technical rides between rocks, logs, and boulders, it breaks- rendering the shoe useless. To add insult to injury, they ding you $20-30 for replacements. Apparently, I wasn't the only one with the problem as I had to wait to get my replacement buckles for over a month because they were sold out. Rep was rude too.

I'm not buying another pair of these overpriced, over-hyped pieces of garbage. I'm looking to find a shoe that doesn't have all the buckle riff-raff, and has a simple, velcro three strap design. Carnac, perhaps.

Similar Products Used: Carnac (great) Nike Nguba (worst shoe made)
Tom   Weekend Warrior [Apr 03, 2004]
Strength:

They fit my wide feet. Buckle system works well to fine tune fit.

Outboard front side lorica is WAY too thin and soft. It tears very easily !

These are great fitting and well made shoes but the lorica uppers are very fragile and will easily tear if you happen to scuff your foot against a rock. Your results may vary but I don't see them lasting me very long. SIDI ought to beef up the front sides of these shoes to offer more protection against tears. A toe bumber might be nice feature to have as well.

Mark   Cross Country Rider [Oct 14, 2003]
Strength:

Great construction,great looks, and great Fit for anybody with wide feet.I have EEEE width feet

Takes some playing around to get the ratchet set, not really a weakness.

I did`nt have to use these long to know that these shoes are great.I could tell the moment I put them on. I actually just bought these last week and entered a 12 hour race in Wisconsin the next day.Riding most of the day, I gave these shoes a great test right out of the box. For the first time in my 10 years of riding Mountain Bikes, my feet felt comfortable.My only regret is that I did`nt buy these sooner. Don`t mess around you wide feet wonders, buy these shoes and you love them. Great fit, great construction.

Similar Products Used: Nike,Cannondale, Diadora, Northwave
Phil   Cross Country Rider [Feb 18, 2004]
Strength:

uh they look cool and are comfortable

velcro sucks, i bust the cleat thru the sole

garbage they (veltec sports the SIDI distributor) wanted to charge me 25$ an hour to replace the velcro that didnt last. I dont know why they wouldnt stand behind the shoes. I know a number of people with these shoes that have no problems. i will never buy another pair of Sidi's they are crap

Similar Products Used: nike and specialized gonna get anouhter pair of specialize
David   Cross Country Rider [Nov 23, 2003]
Strength:

Durability,Adjustability,comfort,fit

price,hard soles

These shoes are great,I'd owned a pair of Sidi road shoes before and loved the fit,so I didn't hesitate to order these Sidis for off road.I wish other manufacturers would learn from Sidi and offer more sizing options for those of us with big feet.(mine are 14ee)I wear a size 50 mega and have worn them for three years now without a complaint.They've been through mud,snow,water and no problems.The soles don't grip hard surfaces is the only problem,but one I can live with.

Similar Products Used: none
Jeff   Cross Country Rider [Apr 18, 2003]
Strength:

I've got Fred Flintstone feet: WIDE (EEE) with high arches and insteps. I've had numerous pairs of Answer shoes, because they fit okay and weren't too expensive. When I tried the Megas, the poor dogs were happy! There's room for my feet without having to buy shoes that are too big or cutting off circulation.

The soles are very stiff and as others have said the traction could be better, like my Answer Accelerators. They seem to have improved my performance a bit, too. I'd guess there's less slop in the shoe, so pedalling is more efficient. The three straps seem to make for a more firm fit without cutting off the circulation.

Soles could have a better grip, but it's a minor quibble.

A great shoe. If you have wide feet, these are a must. They're certainly worth the price.

Similar Products Used: Answer Accelerators. Northwave Freeride.
fishman   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2003]
Strength:

wide. arch compression strap.

very little toe protection, price.

I have wide feet and a high arch. I have been suffering in many different pairs of shoes. I got foot problems, resulting in pain in the ball of my foot when I walk great distances and often even after just a little bit of riding (since all that force is going right into the ball of my feet). Finally, I got the Dominator Megas. Nice stiff sole to spread the force out. Wide, not quite wide enough, so I got a half size too big (which I'm used to doing). The real key for me has been the arch compression strap. It allows me to crank down and take some of the force on my arch, instead of all of it on the ball of my foot. This has saved my feet, and instead of being in pain after every ride, my feet are just sometimes a little tender.

Only trouble with the shoes is that they offer no toe protection. In the past month I've smashed my toes really bad at least three times. My old Carnacs had a much more solid toe, even my Shimano sandals protect my feet better with a big lip that sticks out front. Plus, they are expensive, the most expensive shoes I own. I wish Carnac would make a Mega version of a cheeper shoe.