Sidi Action 2 SRS Shoes

Action 2 SRS

Ed Miszkiewicz   Racer [Feb 23, 2015]
Strength:

Superb fit, long lasting uppers, don't stretch out.

SRS soles wear quickly, need frequent replacement

I've owned Time, Carnac, Lake, and Sidi Dominators, but the Sidi Action SR2 are the best cycling shoes I have ever owned. They are light weight, efficient, and fit like a glove. Mine are 14 years old and still in working condition. After repeated washing they still retain their original shape. This past season I used them for cyclocross and they are finally starting to get a bit tatttered. I've replaced the soles 3 times since they were new. Replacing the soles is a rather expensive proposition, but when you consider the cost of new shoes it makes sense. I also own two brand new pairs that I purchased from the UK a while back for about $125 & $150 each (one pair silver, one pair black). I will start wearing those. They are slightly different in that the toe box is a little more square and the main buckle is slightly redesigned.The old pair will still get used for muddy riding though. I'm tempted to try a pair of the new Drako's, but it's hard to justify the $400 price tag. I wish that I could find an NOS pair of the originals that I had in bronze though. Best shoes ever!

Similar Products Used: Lake, Carnac, Time, Sidi Dominator
Psycho Marco   Weekend Warrior [May 13, 2010]
Strength:

Very comfortable, looks, weight

Sole, lasted about 5 months and then I bought Dragon soles which are more durable

Nice shoes, I´m looking forward to buying Mavic Fury´s next time. I think this ones are too narrow, and I think I could benefit from a little wider shoes.
They get scratched easily. But overall, I can recommend them.

Similar Products Used: Regular MTB shoes.
A.J. Trafton   Cross Country Rider [Aug 31, 2003]
Strength:

Comfort

Maintenence, support

When they first came out I got em. These shoes are extremely comfortable even in 110 degree heat. There was a little problem with the microlocks but the company came through with just an email. Keep them clean, dry lubed and always open the bottom one first, (it's easier). Time has come to replace the soles (yes, they are soft, this is the Arizona desert) and one of the philips head screws is spinning around without coming out. It looks like there are nuts on the other side, not a machined plate. There are some good engineers in Italy, blind nuts with now way of holding them went out years ago...and philips heads on mtb shoe soles? So far the email at http://www.veltecsports.com/contact.htm has returned two messages: one saying thanks for contacting us; the other: undeliverable; both from veltec.
If you take very good care of your very good equipment and want comfort out of your shoes, these are them.
If you put your foot down on rough terrain these soles may be to soft. Hopefully they've replaced the philips screw/nut combination with an allen bolt and a machined plate system. It would be nice for the company to let the consumer know what can be done as it seems this isn't the first time for this. Perhaps I'm the first to have the nut spin. The ratings below would be much better if the shoe lasted more than one year. Can't get the screw out, can't put the new sole on, can't wear the shoe.

Similar Products Used: Mtb: Sidi Dominator 2, Sidi Dominator 4
Road: Sidi Energy 2, Genius 3
Jorgex   Weekend Warrior [Jan 28, 2006]
Strength:

-SUPER!!!

-extras are expensive over the years
-NOT SO COMPATIBLE WITH TIME PEDALS

Could this be the best shoes ever made?

6 years of service with 3 new soles. 2 normal soft grey(40€ x2), this year dragon hard sole(55€) and 70€ in other pieces over the years.

I weight over 100Kg and i pedal around 4000km per year. Always working under mud, river crossing with the bike on my back and rocky uphill too. It's easier to destroy yourself in crash than these shoes. Believe me, i crash every 1000km and i'm amazed they are always ok while my shorts are full of holes and blood.

About the Time pedals, it will gently cut the removable sole when trying to put in/out your feet in the pedal, after that it will stabilize. There's no problem at all.

This product will improve your riding skills.
If these shoes die for some reason, i'll buy SIDI shoes again.

Similar Products Used: Scott boots 6 years ago.
Nick   Cross Country Rider [Oct 14, 2003]
Strength:

Supremely comfy, excellent quality uppers.

The soles are absolutely useless. A 1km hike-a-bike section in a recent race all but finished off the front lugs.

Great shoes, but they need to make those soles available in a choice of hard or soft compound. My old SIDI Technos had stiff soles that lasted for years. I'm going to try putting in studs to see if that will protect those front lugs a bit.

Similar Products Used: Sidi Techno MTB
Gordon   Cross Country Rider [Dec 12, 2003]
Strength:

Glove like fit - due to spider and techo buckles
Shoes dry out quickly when wet
Feet stay nice and cool in very hot weather
No Velcro to wear out
Sole Replacment System - when the soles wear out you can buy replacement soles.
Light Weight
Stiff Sole

Sole compound is much softer than non SRS soles - my old SIDI technos soles lasted 6 years - whereas the SRS soles are already very worn after just 6 month's of riding.
Foot insole is too thin - But better than no insert at all as SIDI's used to be.
Not a shoe for use in cold weather unless you wear water proof socks and and overshoe - venting that is so good for summer is not good for winter use

The Sole Replacement system is the only major thing wrong with these shoes - the compound is way too soft, but even with this fault I liked them so much i've bought another pair to stick in a cupboard for when these die.

As they are so comfortable i'm even still riding in the winter with overshoes and water proof socks.

If your want the best and have the cash to afford to buy new soles on a regular basis these shoes are tops.

I'f you ride routes which require a lot of hike a bike i wouldnt recommend these shoes due to the soft sole compound.

I would have given the shoes 5 Chilli's if only the SRS compound was not so soft.

Similar Products Used: Sidi Techno
dan   Racer [Nov 22, 2003]
Strength:

better closure system than velcro straps

potentially super soft compound soles.

I have two pairs of these shoes with two very different sole compounds.I just purchased my newest pair(but are 2001 model) with great care.the soles on my older pair are junk.absolutely too soft crap. but the soles on the newer pair looked different so I cafefully compared them to my dominators and older srs and they appeared to have harder compound so I bought them.well, thankfully the soles do in fact have a harder compound and are acceptable.they are a little softer than dominators but much harder than the useless soft soles.
I prefer the closure system over velcro because velcro eventually wears out and won't stick .
in the new 2004 sidi ads they mention new competition soles and this requires some careful attention before buying because YOU MUST MAKE SURE THE SOLES ARE NOT TOO SOFT!

Similar Products Used: dominator 4
G McKshred   Cross Country Rider [Feb 01, 2004]
Strength:

Sidi Name & Rep, Rigid Sole, Great Fit, Easily Adjusted, Durable uppers

SRS Sole blows. Going through my second set in 14 months.
It's almost $50 to replace the sole too.

These are nice comfortable shoes. A little to expensive for what you get as the SRS soles are really too soft.

The Rachet can clog in foul weather, but just rinse it out and place a couple of drops of oil on the mechanism pivot points. Makes it like brand new again.

Shoes rebound well from severely wet weather riding conditions. Held form and dried out to normal feel.

Synthetic leather did get scraped and scuffed immediately, but never did tear in 14 months.

Can be cool in cooler riding temps. I wear 2 pair socks with no problem.

Going with the Sidi Bullit next time - no SRS Sole (yae) - but no Rachet lock either (boo), which I prefer and have had no problems with.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Ground Control, Nike Poobahs
Martijn   Cross Country Rider [Feb 28, 2003]
Strength:

Light, stiff, nice finish and superb closure

Best shoe I tried ever!
For the guy talking about the fast wearing soles I can say only one thing: cycling shoes are made for cycling not walking.
When you use them for cycling the soles won't wear that fast at all.
But for pu**y guy's who walk up-and downhill I can recommend hiking boots.
For cycling these are the best shoes ever!