Shimano SH-M300 Shoes

• Therno-form upper / Modable upper forms to foot fo a custom fit
  • Therm-form insole
  • Carbon fiber
  • Micro-adjust buckle and dual offset straps

PC_Vern   Cross Country Rider [Aug 15, 2009]
Strength:

Comfort, excellent buckle system, lightweight

Minimal traction for hiking.

Shimano shoes fit me better than others on the market. I think I have narrow feet. These shoes are an excellent choice for xc and racing. They are super comfortable and have a great buckle system. The soles don't have much for cleats and are mostly slick carbon or plastic. Be careful hiking on rocks.

Similar Products Used: Old Shimano SH-220
Steveswimbikerun   Weekend Warrior [Jan 24, 2009]
Strength:

Well made high end shoe. Seems to fit well. So far havn't had it heat molded since the bike shop recommend to cycle a few hours first.

Popping sound and flexing feeling at the ball of the foot while cycling. Since this was mentioned by the previous reviewer and I had the same problem I thought I would pass on a solution I found. After this occurred in one of the brand new shoes I bought I returned them the the cycle shop. I tried 2 more pairs until I found one that didn't pop. After attaching the cleats at home the replacement pair also began to pop. On closer inspection I found the pop came from the steel attachment plate as it flexed between the inner sole and the carbon outer sole. By pushing the plate forward so that the front 2 bolt holes disappeared under the carbon fiber outer sole and then attaching the cleat to the rear 2 holes I found the flexing and popping sound disappeared

I got these high end shoes cheap in a sale. I havn't really tried them much yet, but do seem to have solved the flex/pop problem and wanted to pass on my solution. They are very stiff, but I cannot say if they make me faster until I'ce ridden properly with them.

They get a five for value because of the sale and a three for overall because they appear to be very good apart from the problem which I needed to solve.

Similar Products Used: Low end shimano shoes
BigD   Cross Country Rider [Jan 22, 2009]
Strength:

Stiff sole, slipper-like fit, breathability, and toughness.

Styling, footbed not properly bonded to carbon sole makes pops like the lid of a juice bottle.
Price?

The moldable body and footbed offer a superb fit. The offset velcro straps eliminate hot spots and the power transfer is second to none! Exactly what I would expect from a high end shoe, especially at this price.
However, the color and styling are very blah and I have had two pairs with a manufacturing flaw - it appears that the footbed (under the ball of the foot) is not properly bonded to the carbon sole. This produces a very annoying popping as the footbed compresses and snaps back up under the foot while walking. Queries to the Shimano rep have gone unaswered so it is uncertain whether or not this is a production problem or just my bad luck. I would not tolerate this problem in an entry-level shoe, let alone in an elite-level kick. And the customer service should be an embarassment to Shimano.
Bottom line: Other Shimano offerings perform just as well as the M300 (and at a more affordable price) but the fit is not as cozy. But if you want a super comfy race shoe stiff enough to handle your biggest grunts, and don't mind paying for the molding technology, then buy this shoe. Just take a short walk around the shop in them before sticking them in the oven.

Similar Products Used: Specialized BG Pro, Lake.
maverickmtb   Cross Country Rider [Jul 06, 2008]
Strength:

Stiff sole. Glove-like fit. Greatly improved heel retention.

Slippery carbon midsole. Ratchet may not be able to tighten enough for low-volume forefoot.

Just purchased these shoes to replace the previous top-of-the-line Shimano models from a few years back. These are probably half the weight. The sole is much stiffer. I did a four hour ride today on with some long technical downhills... the usual foot pain I used to experience isn't present. I had these cooked and formed the day I bought'em. The heel cup seems much deeper, more like my old Sidi's. I'd give these a full five except for the carbon mid-sole. The ride today had a rocky protage section and these babies don't have much in the way of grip down the center. Stay on your toes. A couple of times I stepped on a sharp rock with the middle of the shoe and it was a slippery affair. I think I'll try to put some skateboard grip tape to run down the center. I'm very pleased with the new redesign. This shoe fits my wide forefoot and narrow heel very well. The standard Sidis have gotten too narrow these days. Must be making shoes for Italians. Plus, at $299 for a full carbon sole and moldable innards I think these a pretty good deal. I've seen other top-end shoes going for $400++. Go get a pair today... just be cautious where you step.

Similar Products Used: Previous Shimano mtb shoe. Sidi dominators.
Ed Francis   Cross Country Rider [Mar 08, 2008]
Strength:

Super stiff soles, extremely comfortable uppers, stylish good looks, very eye catching and top of the line shoe. Best fit ever for a mountain bike shoe.

Price is a bit high, but that's about it

These are without question the very, very best mounatin bike shoes available on the market today. I have tried many brands of cycling shoes, and none have even come close in the fit and siffness of this Shimano shoe.The power transfer while riding is simply mind blowing. It feels like every ounce of energy you expend through your legs goes DIRECTLY into the rear wheels, and into forward motion. The SH-M300 shoe takes things to another level altogether. The materials and craftsmanship on the shoes are impeccable. I'm sure these will last many years before they ever even come close to wearing out. I'm thinking of buying a second pair, but since they are so expensive, I'm not sure if I can afford it! Maybe check out ebay for deals, as I have seen some sell there for about $250 recently, which is a significant savings over the $350+ price found elsewhere in the bike shops, etc. If you see them for sale at $250 or less, grab them!
Overall I'd have to give these shoes 5 burning burritos... and give them 10 if they allowed me to! Ride on, freinds!