Shimano SH-M225 Shoes

SH-M225

New designed lightweight outsole, featuring: Stable mud shedding yet aggressive design, 15% improved grip and anti-slip function. Dual injection Nylon/PU outer sole, Unique carbon fibre insert plate for superb rigidness and energy transfer Spike option.

BokorSolo   Weekend Warrior [Dec 29, 2009]
Strength:

Price in my case was too good to pass up. Stiff sole. It has lasted this long no problems.

Uh, they wear out...

These are excellent shoes. I'm fixing to buy some insoles for these because the have worn out and the shoes are getting loose. Hope I can squeeze some more riding out of these things.

Dirt Merchant   Weekend Warrior [Aug 29, 2008]
Strength:

Amazing features for the price.

Very heavy shoe. What is the point of a carbon sole if not light weight? The sole is reasonably stiff but not amazingly so. Build quality seems inconsistent. Glue lines messy, plastic panels do not match up perfectly.

I bought this shoe so I could use it both on my road bike and my mountain bike and it works for both purposes. The main reason I got it was features vs. price but I think after this I will go back to Sidi. (Which could be awhile, my LBS tells me that these are very durable shoes)

Similar Products Used: Sidi Bullet and Sidi Dominator
bellullabob   Racer [Aug 17, 2008]
Strength:

Great riding shoe that doesn't compremise the occasional hike a bike section. Sole super stiff while tread is also grippy and last. Buckle is great & takes a beating. Fairly well vented. Wide toe box for plenty of wiggle room. PRICE: carbon sole shoe for less than 200.

WEIGHT!!! This is a heavy race shoe (compared to those 350 grams other race shoes - sidi - s works etc...) Velcro straps stop working in the mud, letters on the side of shoe get ripped off when hitting objects (not a big deal though), Mesh at toe box eventually tore open and now my big toe sticks out (fixed w/ lovely duck tape)

Fantastic Value!!!! Really you can't another shoe w/ these features in this price range. beat the price. Most of these features will run you at least 300 w/ the competition. 470 for sidi dragons!!!!!! I moved up to a more expensive shoe (s-work) though to save weight and did not go to the shim 300 due to the reports of not enough tread on the those soles. Bottom line is that I beat the crap out of these shoes for two years and they have been great. Wish I could have gotten one more year out of them but two is pretty good for this price range. Would buy again in heart beat, other than the weight..

Similar Products Used: older shims, nike, big S
Kurbelbrecher   Racer [May 22, 2008]
Strength:

I use the tallest size and it's still a very stiff shoe. Riding MTB now is almost like riding on my road bike.

Heavy weight, about 1200gr in US- size 12,3. The carbon layer on the shoes is so thin that the shoes still needs lot of plastic to get the stiffness. A unlucky solution are the notches in the plastic under the weak inserted sole (may be it is different in a smaller size). If you have pressure on your pedal :-), your foot will take the shape of the plastic below. A friend of mine (a shoemaker) highly recommend me to fill these notches (inside - on the cleats) with a foam. It could cause splayfeet.

For me it's still a good shoe because of the stiffness and the excellent shape for me. I already filled up the notches so I don't worry about splayfeet. Good shoe for people who don't care about grams. For riders who already have the lightest stuff it could be an option to upgrade to the SH-M 300. The additional costs could be cheap costs for loosing rotating weight.

Similar Products Used: Sidi
John   Cross Country Rider [Jul 17, 2007]
Strength:

Light weight, durable, stiff, wide, adjustable, well ventilated.

No screws provided for the cleats.

This is my first pair of "real" bike shoes. Others that I have used have been more like sneakers with SPD cleats. So although I cannot compare them to other stiffer sole shoes, I can say that these are much better than what I have had in the past. These are better ventilated, more adjustable, stiffer (which means more power), and have been very durable so far. I have 500 miles in them and have had zero issues and they only show wear a little on the soles. The first couple of times my feet were going numb but that was because I was over tightening the shoes. Now that I have them adjusted properly (still no slip!), they are awesome. I tried several other pairs on at Performance including Sidi's but none fit me as well as these. I have a small foot but it is wide for it's size. Great value for a great product.

Similar Products Used: Only more casual bike shoes from Nike & Cannondale.
Sarah Paoletta   Cross Country Rider [Mar 31, 2006]
Strength:

EXTREMELY comfortable on and off the bike(that's why I sprung for these.. I was planning on buying $100 shoes when I tried them on!)

The only thing I can think of is that the metal cleats up front (for running up hills) are required to be left in.. unless you plug them with aluminum foil or something similar. They should come with plugs... (I think this is a very minor weakness!)

AWESOME cycling shoe... no regret whatsoever after paying almost double what I intended on paying for cycling shoes!

Similar Products Used: none... first pair of cycling shoes
Para Wolf   Weekend Warrior [Apr 24, 2007]
Strength:

Very good for doing bunny hops on my road bike. Unfortunately I have had limited time actually riding in these shoes as I have a highly demanding job as the #1 poster on bv.com.au.

I rule bv.com.au

Daniel Schremser   [Mar 27, 2007]
Strength:

Very comfortable, easily adjusted fit, with ratchet mechanism. Good vetilation with toe mesh; stiff sole allows for excellent power transfer. Great value at this price!

Shoes used for road riding, so had to replace metal toe studs with rubber gromets for easier walking

Shimano SH-M225 shoes make a great fit with the SPD pedals, and still allow easy walking.

Similar Products Used: Shimano MA-80
Patrick   Cross Country Rider [Oct 02, 2006]
Strength:

I have a 3EEE wide foot and these shoes were the only accomodating I could find. They fit great, good stiffness and they hold up well.

If you are doing any hiking they can be slippery on the rocks due to plastic molding on the sole.

Fit is always the number one problem for me and these provided a big toebox. I am eating the crap out of them and they are holding up.