Shimano SH-M180 Shoes

SH-M180

The SH-M180 is a new off-road sport/competition shoe from Shimano. It uses a sophisticated buckle and two strap closure, plus a top of the line sole with toe spike compatibility for aggressive terrain.

Stinky Wiz   Weekend Warrior [Mar 28, 2006]
Strength:

Awesome looks, good walking traction.

Wore out the leather & mesh around the toebox. Fit not perfect. Breakage of buckle is an issue (get an spare set).

Good shoe for the money, but I've had pairs of Skimano shoes last longer. The leather and mesh around the toebox is completely sheared away, the rubber around the heel is gone. I did like these shoes and have only retired them due to the condition of the toebox. I have a size 11.5 foot, but the 46 was painfully small and the 47 is just a tad too long, but the straps & ratchet work well to cinch them down. Good traction on just about every terrain while hiking.

The shoes looked great & held up as long as I needed them to, although I'd still be wearing them if they held up a bit better. As for the buckle issue, yeah I broke two buckles but I invested in a replacement set from the higher end model and they popped right on. Even when one failed, I didn't lose the tension in the rachet for some reason.

Got a set of Sidi Bullet 2 Mega's in a 46 now, they look similar but I will miss the ratchet.

Similar Products Used: Many Shimano MTB shoes, many Nike models, Specialized, etc.
Scott   Cross Country Rider [Oct 19, 2005]
Strength:

Grip is suprisingly good,
I like the buckles,

Too tight toe box

My feet hate me for these shoes. I have normal shaped feet, but these shoes squeeze my toes together something terrible. Just not the right shape. I'll buy non-Shimano next time.

I've not had any problems withe the buckle, yet...

Similar Products Used: Cannondale lace ups
Rob   Cross Country Rider [Apr 02, 2004]
Strength:

Nice double stitching, all black color, easy to adjust and fit my wide foot well.

None so far, Seem to be a good shoe for the money.

I have fell over due to not being able to clip out and fell right on this so called flimsy plastic ratchet and it didn't break. I remember way back when the ratchet buckles first made it to the market, no one liked them. Yes they can break, but hey I'll deal with the problem when it arrives. @ 140.00 bucks this shoe is priced very well considering I don't think the 210 dollar Italian brand is superior. If you buy this shoe, I don't think you will be unhappy..4 flaming turds on value because I think all the shoes in this world are way over priced.....

Similar Products Used: Older shimano triple velcro strap shoes
Ernest Lam   Cross Country Rider [Apr 27, 2004]
Strength:

Replaceable buckle + 2 strap = Secure custom fit and comfortable. Reasonabily vented. Stiff fiberglass sole, great balance with just the right amount of flex for walking and leg movement while pedalling.

The hole for installing the cleats go all the way to your feet, so when you step onto a pond of water... The buckle strap is hard and close enough to let your ankle "feel" it when you point your toe and feet upwards, but this doesn't bother any movement of the feet though...

Just got them for one day and have a ride with them for around 30km of fire road in 2 hrs. Will come back again with a more detailed review next month.

First, start with the outlook, the shoes looks cool when compare to my previous 661 Attack, the attack has a "sharp" shape on the toe and was a little weird, and this pair were closer to the shape of a Sidi Dom.4, just a little fatter. Love this because it shape and the buckle looks more "pro".

I don't think the $140 MSRP was reasonable, but the average deal here in HK, which is around $80 - 100USD is. I really don't know why, for $140 here in HK, you can easily find yourself a pair of the "overpriced" Sidi, but I will still pick these instead of the Sidi, I've gave the Sidi a look and found the shoe was very very "thin", hit it to a nice piece of sharp rock and I'm sure you'll be riding bare foot if you bought them.

The buckle was very easy to operate and provide a very good custom fit for my "wider than normal" foot. It can be replaced with unscrewing a single screw and this is important, because everyone knows, even if the buckle is made of Ti, a nice sharp piece of rock is all it need to make it fail, either break it or "removeing" the whole buckle away, so if you want a buckle, make sure it's easily replaceable and the replacement's price is acceptable. The shop I bought it promise me a 2year free warranty including the buckle, so it wins the Sidi on this issue (A sidi replacement buckle is $30USD here in HK).

The performance I notice in my first and yet only ride with this shoes was positive with some minor drawback. These shoes fit well and was very secure, so you can push, pull, twist or whatever your pedal as if the cleats is on your feet, the sole is stiff enough to deliever a great power transfer, yet can flex a little bit, so it's very comfortable when you're either pedaling or hiking. But the strap connected to the buckle was a little bit "oversized", it would come into the "folding line" between your feet and ankle, so when you point your feet upward, you can feel there is a hard piece of leather there, but that doesn't bother the feet's movement though.

The "hole" for installing the cleats is open all the way thorough the sole to your feet, so when you step on a pond of water, you feet will get wet, but that's not a big deal to me, this will not be happening more than 2 times a year.

Overall, I give 5 for the great value, for the deal everyone can enjoy here in HK. 4 right now for everything's great except the oversized strap problem. I really don't understand who will buy the Sidi when they have seen these 180 and knowing that it cost half of the Sidis...

Similar Products Used: SixSixOne 2003 Attack, great value and performance.
jaco   [Jul 30, 2005]
Strength:

snugg fit, soles havent come off

buckles snap off, mesh around toe area and padding on heel dessintegrated

decent shoe but way expensive for the way its dessintegrated on me. hope my new 225s fare better and at the same price

Similar Products Used: specialized comp 00, pearl izumi vaper (terrible shoe)
Martin   Cross Country Rider [Jul 26, 2005]
Strength:

Price if you get a deal.

Plastic buckle.

I bought these shoes on e-bay for $69. Unfortunatelly it was wrong fit for me and to my bad luck the ass.... who sold it to me forget to say that buckle is broken, but it's different story. Anyway if you buy any shimano shoes with buckle, start praying that the cheap piece of plastic will last. If not, it's very hard to get replacement buckle. I called 7 different stores, no luck. Even called Shimano cust. service, they don't deal with customers, everything has to be thru authorized dealer (shimano cust. service sucks). Save your money, frustration and buy different brand. Or if you decide buy these in store, ask them if they have replacement buckel (just in case) and be sure it will happen.

Similar Products Used: Specialized for $20 (much better than those)
Steve   Downhiller [Mar 14, 2006]
Strength:

Good fit and finish. Comfy

Cheap buckle breaks FAR TOO easily.

While I have had great luck with Shimano in the past, I would stay away until they get the buckle problem fixed. Very disappointing for a Shimano fan. This would be fine for a road bike but rocks kill it easily.

Steve Struble   Weekend Warrior [Dec 26, 2004]
Strength:

Good snug fit, ultra stiff sole for cranking hard

Road shoe 'adapted' to off-road use. Already broke a buckle just tightening it down! Replacements run $20 for two. Better stock up on them. Water runs right through the sole where cleats attach

Really good fit, but you pay the price with the flimsy buckles. Stock up on replacements, although they're hard to find and expensive. Fill the cleat slots in the sole with silicone rubber to keep your feet dry.

Similar Products Used: None
Travis   Cross Country Rider [Nov 03, 2004]
Strength:

Kinda Stiff

2 design flaws carried over from the M-152 (previous model) and a new design flaw chucked in for good measure.

Look. I had the previous model for many a year (M152) did many MTB kms on it and even used it on the Road bike probably covered 12,000-15,000 kms. Three velcro straps on the old model and so when the they wore out, I sewed new ones on, (until the sole snapped).

Bought the replacements M180-B as replacements. I don't think they are good hardcore MTB shoes for the reasons listed below. Admitidly they have a nice sole plateform when you crank, they are as stiff as a non-carbon sole can be. Considering the M152 were so reliable I was looking for to a durable shoe here.

WRONG!!!

3rd ride in, the rachet bucket snapped off!!!! I used my old shoe (the one that hadn't snapped) for this foot while I waited on a replacement buckle (1.5 months and waiting, Thanks Shimano Australia).

Then the rachet on the other shoe went! Unbelivable. A all plastic unit, hardly any wear and they failed. I even missed a chance to take them offroad and race em, I was just breaking them it!

A perfect example how shimano takes something from there road range and puts it into a mountain biking application. Look at the plastic closure/ rachet unit. See how far it sits out? Compare it to Sidi's or even a Pearl Izumu buckles and you will see the difference. Glance a rock/tree/stump with the shimano buckle and it will detonate. (mine never lasted long enough to do that).

The other 2 flaws with this shoe is:
1 Why must shimano persist with having a oval space with no tread, right through to the sole around the arch? If you ever ride anything technical and place your sole back on the pedal for a quick dab or to remont the pedal before dropping the next section it is alarminly easy to get the SPD hooked here between the rubber tread and sole, catching your shoe in the pedal. Once it's happen once it creates a space and it's more likely to happen again. I've had several really bad crashes directly as a result of this on my old M152s.

Secound other companies have screw in cleats that are compatiable with anything you pick up at the sports store. Not Shimano. They've designed a sprig that is thinner and shorter, forcing you to buy replacement shimano parts (if the distributor bothers to stock it). I got these shoes cheap. I would only recomend them to people who don't ride anything challenging. Next time, despite the bargain I'm passing crappy shimano shoes and saving for some Sidi's

Similar Products Used: Specialized Body Geometry Comps, M-152, Bunch of older Shimano shoes, Lake casuals
Bill McMillan   Cross Country Rider [Mar 31, 2004]
Strength:

stiff, fits well, looks good

buckle closure is made of brittle plastic, and one of them fell to pieces the first time I tightened it. Jenson sent out a new set from Shimano

great shoe if they improve the buckle. Buy an extra set of buckles to have on the trail, cause the shoe doesnt work very well if the buckle fails