Shimano SH-M161G Shoes

Shimano SH-M161G MTB Cycling Shoe is a rugged mountain shoe that is also very good looking. This rock solid shoe keeps your feet well in position with 2 vecro closure up front and strap buckle on top. Hard rubber armor pieces are placed all around the sho

rsd01   Cross Country Rider [Sep 23, 2011]
Strength:

Comfortable, Stiff

Price. Buckle sometimes gets jammed with dirt.

The shoes are expensive, but I love them so much I'm putting some SPD pedals on my road bike. You can walk up steep hills, climb over boulders, or just walk indoors without slipping or feeling awkward. My feet don't feel numb after long rides. Just buy the shoes.

grant191   Weekend Warrior [Sep 20, 2011]
Strength:

good soles with great traction, strong velcro and clip closure, very comfortable

a little heavy for the price you pay

good all around shoe for the beginner to advanced single tracker. work very well with my shimano spd 540 pedals

Similar Products Used: n/a
Keisersoze   Weekend Warrior [Aug 27, 2011]
Strength:

Good fit, breathable, looks good.

Did not fit Shimano pedals.

I bought these shoes because they fit me well and were a reasonable price. However, it was impossible to clip the shoes into my Shimano M530 pedals even when set to the looses setting. Why does a Shimano shoe not fit into Shimano pedals? I brought it to my local bike shop and it turned out that the higher areas of the shoe to the left and right of the cleats were the culprits. After shaving off some of the rubber the shoe now clips in without trouble. Would have given this shoe a higher rating if it wasn't for this major issue.

kingsalami   Weekend Warrior [Jul 04, 2011]
Strength:

Comfortable
Stiff
Excellent traction!!
Great balance between protection & breathability

I finally found a MTB shoe that offers some grip when you're off the bike. I can't understand why shoe designers make the majority of off road shoes with friggin' plastic cleats! Zero traction on rocks & wet surfaces. The rubber soles on these offer great traction.
These shoes are an excellent fit for medium to narrow feet. They cinch down very effectively with tha ratchet mechanism & have a relatively stiff sole. SInce I've got prety narrow feet, I used a set of relatively thick Superfeet insoles in mine - very comfy on multi-hour rides. They also have rubber "armor" on the sides to ward off damage from high speed impacts w/ roots & rocks.
I tried on a whole bunch of mtb shoes to replace my trusty old Nikes, and these were the right choice for me.

Similar Products Used: Old Nike full grain leather cycling shoes - indestructable tanks!
crosscountryracer137   Cross Country Rider [Jun 12, 2011]
Strength:

Stiff sole, light weight,very durable, and great looking

Very great shoe, would definately reccomend it to a friend.

Similar Products Used: Shimano M86
STRATMAN   Weekend Warrior [Jun 06, 2011]
Strength:

Sturdy construction with a thick stiff sole

This a very HEAVY shoe. I was surprised given the price. The low end Shimano weighs much less. The wrench needed to change the spikes was not included in the box.

I was dissapointed

Similar Products Used: Other Shimano
cyclocrosser500   Racer [Feb 16, 2011]
Strength:

Good light weight shoe

Got The m161W which does not have the Carbon soul plate, a little disappointed

Great shoe for cyclocross, single track,and any non super technical stuff(that all I have done)

Similar Products Used: Sidi Dominators 5, Mavics
Cpike   Weekend Warrior [Dec 12, 2010]
Strength:

Easy to get clipped into and out of your pedal

None found yet

Awesome shoe. I have wide Flintstone feet and my last shoes cramped them up. These are very comfortable

Similar Products Used: Shimano M86
Brett Houser   Cross Country Rider [Aug 27, 2010]
Strength:

Stiff Sole, light weight, & good looking.

None so far

I've only have used these shoes on two rides (two epic rides in Big Bear, Ca) and they seem to be just fine. On the second ride my pinky toe on the left foot became somewhat "hot." I believe I still need to break them in. A sturdy shoe for a decent price! I normally wear a size 11 shoe, but I had to go a half size smaller..10.5.