Shimano SH M 033 Shoes

Shimano SH M 033 Shoes

SPD® Casual-Sport Shoe

• Nylon cloth with split leather upper
  • New "mini block" tread design
  • Fiberglass reinforced nylon midsole
  • Easily removable SPD® tread plate
  • Recommended pedal: PD-M324

• USER REVIEWS

[Dec 09, 2001]
    Sprocketeer

Strength:

Not too hard to walk in, and great for combined activities, such as biking and sightseeing or when you have to go up and down steps with your bike on your shoulder. They're also adaquately warm and waterproof, yet keep your feet from getting sweaty. Durability is also great. Mine still look like they're fresh out of the box even though I've gone thousands of miles on them.

None really. If you're getting this kind of shoe then it's probably your first time using clipless pedals or you want a shoe you can wear when you're not racing, so you know the disadvantages of this shoe versus a racing type shoe, such as it not being rock hard or the foot to pedal distance being a little extra.

I've used these shoes for three years now and I've never felt the least bit disappointed by my purchase. Especially if you've never bought cycling shoes before or you want to try SPD clipless for the first time, this is a good shoe to start with. It's also a good shoe for advanced riders who just want something for when they're riding about or on vacation in, say, Vermont.

None in the same target user/usage range.

[Mar 17, 2002]
    Steve

Strength:

-Light, strong, comfortable, well-designed and well-built
    -Looks like a casual walking shoe

Not suitable for those who want to advertise themselves as "cyclists" when not on their bikes

I'm a first time user on clipless pedals and the right pair of SPD shoes were an important consideration for me. I didn't want the serious looking 200 bucks a pop pair of shoes that shouted "anorak!" or which I wasn't sure I was going to use for a long time. But I also wanted a pair that was user-friendly, performed excellently and built to last. The Shimano SH M033 is a great compromise between a shoe that works great in practice, and to walk around when you're visiting a town or village along the way to your destination. They're comfortable, they don't threaten first time users with exotic looks and feel, and they're made of high quality materials which belie their price. If you're a first time clipless pedal user, don't think twice...these shoes are the best. If you're a pro and you want something comfortable, secure, yet performs well and looks unassuming (less likely to be pinched?), then these are for you. For the price, the quality is well-nigh unbeatable. Nice job Shimano.

[Nov 16, 2003]
    Celeste

Strength:

Easy entry, comfortable. GREAT for hiking ("Why yes, I DID make it up that hill!")

Was a bit wide for my foot and the laces are wearing out quickly. Not very stiff.

I love this shoe! Excellent for portages up rocky slopes. Comfortable and solid enough to pedal while searching for your clips. Great for beginnners!

First clipless shoe

[Jan 10, 2004]
    Manuel

Strength:

tough, resilient, low priced, fairly stiff sole

My toes start to hurt a bit after 15 miles, however, I am not using clipless pedals. I'm using cages, but I have other shoes where this isn't a problem.

I've had this shoe for about 2 years using it on numerous long distance weekend rides and it shows no signs of significant wear. I don't use clipless pedals, so I haven't used the clipless pedal feature of the shoe. I ride hybrids with cages and straps. In this configuration, I have had some minor pain in my toes after riding about 15 miles on some rides. Usually a little adjustment in foot position helps. That's the only reason I will give it a 4 overall. With other shoes I've worn on long rides, this hasn't been a problem. Otherwise, there's been no problem. After two years of riding, the sole seems as stiff as the day they were bought and there's very little wear to the shoe. And this all came at a very reasonable price.

Sidi, don't know the model

[Jan 10, 2003]
    Lance

Strength:

Nice shoe, plenty stiff for cycling but still quite walkable. Great price. So far, comfortable on longish rides.

REI only stocked the black/grey model, not exactly a fashion statement but OK. A bit on the narrow side; if in doubt go a size larger

Good entry-level shoe for someone contemplating SPDs for the first time. Comfortable and reasonably priced. You won't beleive the improvement over those old running shoes.

[Dec 27, 2002]
    Kevin

Strength:

Everything. They're tough, strong, and a must have for everyone!

NONE

A great shoe at a great price!

NONE

[Aug 16, 2002]
    Erich

Strength:

Good ventilaiton, not pricy, works well

Too narrow, sizes are not accurate, laces too short, weak sealing system in sole.

My middle toe falls asleep! My feet are not particularly wide, but my feet do tend to get smooshed in these shoes. I usually wear a 10.5 which translates into a 44-45. Usually 45's are a just right. It's my down dang fault for thinking that they'll streach a bit... they didn't. After an hour or so into a ride my middle toe falls asleep. I have to constanty wring my toes to keep them alive.

The other complaint that I have is that the holes for the cleats have a lame seal. Just a sticker on the inside to keep water out of the bottom. That sticker tends to peel off after a while. I ended up using hot glue on the inside to plug the holes.

So my primary whine about these shoes are that the sizing is not accurate, and let's face it, it's my own fault for not trying them on for a long enough time and justifying it. Dang, sometimes I can be such a knucklehead!

Doh!

sneakers

[Sep 03, 2002]
    Stuart

Strength:

Cheap shoe, a cleat shoe, good to walk around it because of sole design, brown doesn't matter when covered in mud, hard wearing

Daggy brown/tan combo, it has laces instead of velcroe straps (bad for chains), has reflecto bits on it (I hate reflecto bits!!!!!!!! If I want to be seen, I will but a bloody light on my bike!) and did I mention the daggy colours/styling?

For value I can not nock this shoe, as it is stong, cheap, and last you for years (so 5 red ones). But overall, the sole isn't stiff, looks daggy (Vans make nicer casual style SPD shoes), has laces (bad), is a heavier than other shoes out there (makes a difference when you are travelling internationally on planes as I am at the moment). On the other hand, you can walk around all day in them because of the sole design (good for couriering), but the 'tread' just gets clogged in clay type conditions.

So, if you want a rather cheap shoe that fits your SPD pedels (big difference compaired to not using cleats!), you can walk in fine, not to phased about brown, then a good shoe.
    But if you are after a shoe that puts your power into the peddels, don't walk around (on pavement) too much, great grip in soft ground, then go for a comp style shoe - Specalised Pro MTB Shoe I give two thumbs up :)

Specalised Pro MTB Shoe

[May 25, 2002]
    Tony

Strength:

Durable, comfortable, no problem walking or driving with them

Not as stiff as the racing shoes

I bought the similar M030 10 years ago as a 1st SPD shoe, and I still use them now. The green/mauve trim colors on mine have gone out of fashion, but other than that there is no reason to change them.
    I have a narrow foot and the laces give a good fit. I normally take a 45 or 46 shoe, but the LBS recommended trying a 47, and it fitted much better. I would recommend not getting these mail order. I you have a wider foot you might prefer the velcro fastening, women should try the M037W
    I once got the laces caught in the chain. The bike suddenly stopped and I released the foot with the caught laces, so I couldn't put the foot down and crashed before I could work out what had gone wrong. It was in traffic, and instead of stopping the traffic just moved out to pass me with their wheels a few inches from my head. Make sure the laces are tied off.
    Make sure you get the silver multi-release SH55 cleats unless you know what you are about and want the black SH51 widow makers.
    These shoes have cost $3 per year so far, and look as if they are set to go on, so good value.
    5 stinking horse biscuits.