Shimano M080 Shoes

M080

A rugged performance-oriented off-road shoe featuring cup-molded inner sole for enhanced comfort and fit. Hard rubber sole features a high-grip block tread pattern and raised sections to provide better protection for the toe, heel and side of the foot.

Adam Davidson   Weekend Warrior [Apr 28, 2004]
Strength:

Tight fit. Stylish. Easy adjustment for cleats. Solid sole.

Awkward to walk in due to stiff sole

These are my first SPD shoes. So far I have had no real problems. They are awkward to walk in but I bought them to ride, so I won't grumble too much! They look great and for £20 I can't complain. The velcro fastners allow a comfortable, secure fitting and means that you can keep your gloves on when adjusting them.
As I am a noob to SPD's I would recomend these shoes to anyone like me, new to SPD. I cycle about 7 miles to work every day and these shoes have been great.

Similar Products Used: Trainers/Boots with toe straps
Allison   [May 14, 2003]
Strength:

cheaper than my last shoes
sturdy
work well with time pedals

narrow

These shoes are okay, they're not nice on my blistered feet though. Mine are very very narrow compared to other shoes at the same size, but I have wide feet. Much sturdier than the louis garneau shoes that I had.

Similar Products Used: louis garneau something or another
GREG S   Weekend Warrior [Feb 25, 2001]
Strength:

COMFORT. EASY VELCRO CLOSURES. GOOD TRACTION WHEN WALKING. THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT, OFF-ROAD SHOE.

THE RUBBER ON THESE SHOES IS TERRIBLE. I HAVE PUT ABOUT ONE HUNDRED MILES ON THE SHOES, AND THEY ARE WORN DOWN TO THE PLASTIC. THE TOES ARE GONE. I DIDN'T GET NEARLY AS MUCH RIDING IN LAST YEAR AS USUAL, BUT IF I DID, THEN I WOULD HAVE NEEDED NEW SHOES.

GREAT DESIGN. POOR MATERIAL. I'VE HAD SHIMANO M535 PEDALS FOR MORE THAN FOUR YEARS, AND THEY HAVE BEEN INDESTRUCTABLE. I BOUGHT THE SHOES BECAUSE I LIKED THE PEDALS SO MUCH, BUT WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WAS. A SALESMAN AT THE BIKE SHOP ALSO SAID HE USED THEM FOR RACING. I GUESS IF YOU DON'T MIND BUYING NEW SHOES TWO OR THREE TIMES PER YEAR THEY'RE GREAT, BUT I'M ON A BUDGET. I'LL HAVE TO READ THE SHOE REVIEWS CLOSELY AND FIND SOME BETTER ONES.

Similar Products Used: I'E HAD ANOTHER PAIR OF SHIMANO SHOES(DIFFERENT MODEL) THAT LASTED FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS OF HARD RIDING. THE RUBBER WORE OUT ON THESE, BUT NOT NEARLY AS SOON.
Rich C   Cross Country Rider [Oct 24, 2000]
Strength:

Easy Fastening, 2 velcro straps. Stiff sole (no flex) recessed spd clip, easy to walk in. Nice colours to match my bike

Scuffs easily, red and yellow shoes makes you feel like a wasp

Great shoes - I am really happy with these shoes. Great feel of the bike due to stiff sole and no flex. Decent tread on the bottom so great for running up those impossible hills. Very bright (you will get noticed) but luckily for me match my red and yellow Klein perfectly (must be turning into a fashion victim)
EASY access due to just 2 velcro straps. A great product and as it is 2000 shoe hopefully glue problem is sorted out.

Similar Products Used: only cheap Specialised BMX spd shoes
Dave Ferreira   Racer [Sep 26, 2000]
Strength:

I got these shoes on closeout at REI in July. After 410 miles of road biking, I'm still pretty happy with them. They are comfy for biking and strong. No unexpected signs of wear. I wear them with and without socks.

The first time I had to walk in them (about 1 mile), they cut gashes in the back of my heels (no socks). After breaking them in and with socks, it's not too back, but beware walking in them.

These shoes are a great value under, say, $80. I got them for something like $55 on closeout. I think they've been discontinued or renamed or something.

vincent   Cross Country Rider [Aug 20, 2000]
Strength:

got 50 dollars off
comfortable stiff sole
well ventilaled

rubber tread wears off quickly

this is a good shoe for begginig to intermidiat riders and are comfortable to walk in

Dan   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 05, 2000]
Strength:

Stylin' lookin, stiff sole, warm, and cheap (for me)

no grip on slippery rocks

Considering i only paid 105$ Canadian for them, They are best for a narrow foot such as mine, securly fastened with the two velcro straps, and very confortable, these shoes are worth it ONLY for the 2000 model, where previous problems with the glue around the cleats caused it to fall apart often. Overall, for 2000, a excellent shoe.

Similar Products Used: airwalks and specialized
Ian   cross-country rider [Dec 06, 1998]

The shoes were my first SPD shoe, so it was a learning experience. But as I learned, I started to pick up on the fact that these shows are not as good as the bike shop plugged them. And for $85 there are better shoes out there.
1st - they are not very comfortable, 2 velcro closures and made for a narrow foot. They constantly feel loose around my heal. Laces or a third strap would be a big improvement
2nd - the treads look great, until you ride them off road for a few miles, the rubberized soles , except at the lugs under the heal and under the ball of the foot, are pealing off, I have a bright yellow shoe sole under my toes and under the mid-sole of my foot, I lost all traction under the toes and now have to walk almost flatfotted or sidestep up the steeps. Running up the steeps tore off the front sole of my shoe!

Fluffy   Cross Country Rider [Oct 24, 2002]
Strength:

Comfy, click in and out easily with Shimano pedals,cheap

Sole does wear fast, no spikes

I have been riding and racing them for over 2 years now. The sole has some rubber missing, but it's not too bad. They are comfortable enough to walk in, but don't have enough grip on climbs. My M220's are a lot better for racing. When you have to run up a muddy hill, the M220's provide enough grip thanks to the spikes. When it's dry, the M220's are a pain to walk in since they're too stiff. So on races when it's dry and there's a chance I have to get off the bike, I use the M080's. But I use them mostly on training rides...
The M080's should have spikes.

Similar Products Used: Sidi, Northwave, other Shimano shoes
Steve Johnson   [Feb 19, 2005]
Strength:

Easy in and out. Ankle coverage and support. WATERPROOF! Stiff enough sole. Just enough tread for the trail but not too much for the street. Well built.

They don't make them any more. Color and no cool factor.

This is the best all-round shoe I've ever owned. The last fits my foot perfectly. I live on the sun/dry challenged Olympic Peninsula. I use these shoes for everything except racing. The industry has shied away from shoes that offer ankle protection. This makes no sense in a world where the bikes are able to traverse nasty terrain at ever greater speeds. Specialized has just released the buzz-saw at $140.00 which isn't waterproof. I'd rather have 4 pairs of these. Get them if you can find them. Don't get them if you are more worried about being cool than having an awesome shoe.

Similar Products Used: AXO, Specialized, Shimano, Lake.