Shimano M 058 Shoes

Shimano M 058 Shoes

Off-Road Sport/Touring Shoe

• 3/4 Upper, lace up with one hook and loop strap closure Wide sole with aggressive tread, removable SPD plate
  • Black with grey upper
  • Expeditionary / Fun riding
  • Sizes: 36-48 (whole sizes only)
  • Recommended pedals: PD-M545, PD-M536

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 20, 2003]
    Chris

Strength:

Comfortable!!, Style (this photo is not the current model go to Shimano.com for that) they're warm, and they look like a Mountain Bike should. Plus if you have to hike it, these things will definitely get you both up the hill and down.

Last year's model (see current photo) was not that great in appearance but they fixed that and now the shoe just plain rocks!! Doesn't look like some foo-foo road shoe.

If you want to look like you belong on a Mountain bike then get these. If you want to get some of the other shoes that look like road shoes, then get a road bike and post on the road bike review site. These shoes are beefy and will hold up very well...did I mention comfortability?

Nike, Cannondale

[Dec 29, 2003]
    dino

Strength:

Very comfortable, well-constructed; lace and velcro for fine adjustability.

Haven't yet found

I just bought these shoes and have ridden them only twice, but can tell they are going to be the best fitting, most comfortable MTBing shoes I've ever had. I usually don't spend this much on shoes, but as I'm sure many of you have found out, there's hardly a more important component than a really good pair of shoes. And for me, these are the ones. I'm being a bit conservative with the rating, mainly because I'm a cheapskate; but, if you like comfortable shoes, try these on at least.

Nike, Specialized, Diadora, Axo

[Mar 12, 2002]
    James

Strength:

Stiff and reasonably bash proof. It didn't hurt when I stubbed my toe the other day, the only damge was a scuff mark on the shoe

Light colour shows dirt a little too easily and the vent in the side lets in moisture. Also sole clogs in gloopy mud

Good shoes. I first tried them without SPDs and they gave good 'feel' and power delivery. With SPDs they are great, I wish I tried SPDs before. Light colour not ideal for dealing with British winter mud though they do clean well. Reasonable to walk in though not for a long distance. Good product if you wear sealskinz in the wet

Answer Dueller 2000

[Apr 17, 2003]
    Dusty

Strength:

Hard wearing upper, stiff, comfy

Ugly, heavy, useless treads, expensive

I use these for the odd weekend ride, and commuting to work each day but I don't walk far in these - especially as they're not pretty in the looks department. They protect your ankles and have good grip to start with.

However, I can't recommend them at all because the soft rubber treads wear out very quickly and have worn my Time ATAC cleats away. There is no point in replacing the cleats as they will stand proud, and wear away in double-quick time, and that's not what I bought them for.

If they were cheap then after a year I wouldn't mind, but dispite the uppers looking almost pristine, I will have to retire these to the rubbish bin. I will be buying some sporty types with metal stud protectors in future.

[Apr 13, 2004]
    Domeatomic

Strength:

Strong, well made, wide and comfortable, solid stiff sole but you can still walk.

Excellent shoes!
    Biking shoes should be comfortable, so many of Shimano's are way too tight. These are great. They're well made and stiff enough to give real performance. If you can get them for the sort of price I did thru Cycle1st.com then you're grinning big style!

You name it!

[Apr 17, 2004]
    Rick

Strength:

Ankle support, style, stiff sole for riding but, not to stiff for walking.

None that I can find. They are a bit pricey though. I got a great deal on line.

I had a concern ordering on line because I usually have problems fitting shoes. I take a size 9 and usually wide. I ordered the size 43 and they fit like a glove. Very comfortable. I don't think they are too heavy. I wanted something with a bit of ankle support and I'm very pleased with these. Very easy to clip in and out. I hope they wear as well as they look. I wore them today on a 3 hour road ride on my MTB and had no problems at all.

Performance, Lake

[Nov 04, 2002]
    Rimstrip

Strength:

comfort,warmer for cold weather riding

???

these babys are just what i was looking for.good for power transfer on the bike.good for walking to your bike after you've crashed it.warmer for the cold weather.ankle protection so you don't crack them off the cranks when your pedals release from too much body english.freeriders and adventure types rejoice-here is your shoe!yeah i got them from e-bay for $25,brand new,so you know my value meter is spiked.overall..they are just what i was looking for,for certain applications.

many other shimano models,cannondale,sidi

[Dec 20, 2002]
    Lord Ryan

Strength:

Stiff, good-looking, comfortable. Wicked puke yellow laces. Excellent grip.

Not as ugly as the rest of my clothes.

These shoes provide great support for a good price. I paid about $130 Canadian. The comfort and good grip are worth the price. Not to mention the decent materials and funky good looks. Yay for Shimano! Five flaming poos.

None.

[Jul 22, 2003]
    Drew K
    Downhiller

Strength:

Very comfortable Freeride/Downhill/all around shoe.
    -Stiff plate in the outsole
    -2003 model has cool all black design (check Shimano website - the gray upper is pre-2003)
    -Double loop design (on heel and tongue) to pull shoe on with ease.
    -Sticky wide sole for any hike-a-bike sections
    -3/4 upper prevents any ankle biters, great protection!!

None for my style - will post if any occur.
    -[Just to be fair and unbiased] these aren't for cross-country racers or riders looking for a hard, thin outer sole, these have wide, meaty, aggressive rubber tread.

If you’re looking for a shoe that's geared towards freeride/ downhill this is it.
    -Doesn't look like a narrow cross-country race or road shoe, much more comfortable
    -Wide gripping meaty sole for those of us who don't have skinny feet. Great for the hike-a-bike sections and platform pedals. (If you’re not hike-a-biking once in a while the mountain's not steep enough). First weekend out was in mud during a storm in Flagstaff and I didn't slip once (Thanks Crank Brother's Mallet pedals-see post).
    -Very comfortable all day shoe. I can wear them the remainder of the day even after riding for hours.

4-chili value is for price. They're a bit high for recreational clipless shoes. Drop them $20-25 and they'd be on target. Since I haven't found any other good clipless recreational shoes this comfortable... I'll give it 5 chili's overall.

Adidas, AXO, shimano racer style

[May 04, 2003]
    Bob the Builder

Strength:

Strong, Stiff, Comfortable and well made. Good grip off road

Nothing really, I caught the piping on the side which tagged a bit but so what.

A really good pair of shoes. They do what they're supposed to.I've battered mine so far and there's no wear.I use mine with Shimano pedals which is primarily what they're designed for and they do the business. My mate runs them with egg-beaters and they're great. I like the way these have some width. So many of Shimano shoes are way too narrow. These are properly comfortable. And I got them at a great price thru Cycle1st.com so I'm feeling good.........Recommend.

You name it!