Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro II Shoes

The Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro II MTB/Spin Cycling Shoe offers award-winning X-Alp performance & comfort and with the security of a ratchet buckle system and the versatility of our ground breaking Ride & Run Plate, cushioned EVA midsole and carbon rubber lu

jellytronics   Cross Country Rider [Jun 27, 2011]
Strength:

Comfortable. Aesthetically pleasing. Lightweight. Durable.

Velcro weakens over time but will still hold after a season of heavy use (mud/water/acts of God).

Very good overall XC/AM shoe. They seem to size a bit small so get a half size or one size larger. I'm a 9 and it feels cramped around my toes when I just put them on. A 9.5/10 would be fantastic, hoever, after I ride for a few minutes I don't seem to feel the "crampedness". The ratcheting buckle has held up pretty well. However, if you don't use it with some care I can see it breaking. Just speculating. They feel pretty solid but are also very comfortable off the bike (probably even more so if you get the right size/fit). Bought mine heavily discounted as that particular size was on clearance, so it was a great value.

Similar Products Used: None.
OVERALL
Mtn-Rider   Cross Country Rider [Jun 17, 2011]
Strength:

Comfortable fit, easy in/out, cool in hot weather, dry quickly, decent ratcheting buckle, abrasion resistance, good value

Sole wore too soon & cuts easily, reduced velcro straps grip over time, no spikes, not good in cold weather

Bottom line is they didn't last more than a year of riding about 2,000 miles. That was due to extensive hike-a-bikes over abrasive Arizona terrain which puts any kind of shoe to the test. The soles in both shoes developed deep cuts, with 1/2" pieces falling off each. The front 3" of sole wore down entirely, leaving the cleats too exposed, making it difficult and dangerous to walk over rocks on them. Besides the low durability of the soles, these shoes were comfortable to wear on the trails in most situations. I'd buy these shoes again if I didn't do any hike-a-bike in my rides.