Pearl Izumi Vaper MTB Shoes

Vaper MTB

• Carbon fiber I-Beam design for light weight and maxumum stiffness
• Patent Pending Tri-Composite outsole construction for durability
• Agressive tread with tacky gripping surface for incredible traction and durability in wet and dry conditions
• Seamless air mesh upper for lightweight comfort and breathibility
• 3 Velcro straps adjust for the perfect fit
• Molded Plastic heel cup grips the heel and reduces slippage
• Removable toe spikes for increased traction
• Clear toe bumper for protection
• Compatible with most clipless pedal systems

Andy   [Feb 08, 2003]
Strength:

Stiff
Light
Good Looking
Great fit if you have wide feet

Tongue cuts into foot
Spawns jealousy in other riders

Before I tell you about the shoe I figure you ought to know what my feet are like, if you're into that kinda thing... Anyways, my feet are fat and flat so I've traditionally had a hard time buying shoes that tend to be made on European (that is, narrow) lasts. Lower end shoes tend to fit but they simply aren't stiff enough.

When I saw these shoes I thought they looked great. A little expensive, but if they fit, I figured that they'd be worth it. When they went on sale at Excel Sports, it was if I didn't have a choice. I ran to the LBS and tried on a similar pair of PI shoes, the Vagabonds. They fit great so I ordered a pair of Vapors.

Upon delivery I immediatly put them on and found the tongue to be retardedly uncomfortable. These would be some of the most comfortable shoes, bike or otherwise, I own, expect for the tongue issue. I hope that PI fixes the problem for next year. As it stands I'll probably wait to see if the fabric beings to break in a little-otherwise I'll just have to modify it myself.

On the bike the rubbing isn't as bad unless you're standing up. In either position it isn't as bad as walking around on them, but they are still a bit uncomfortable. In all honesty, I haven't worn them too much so maybe that section is intended to get a bit better.

In all other aspects the shoe is amazing! When I went from my MTB to a road bike I was amazed at how efficient that was. The change between my old school Shimano M-110's and the PI's is just as great. They are so stiff. If you have issues with toe numbness due to shoe flex you can kiss that problem goodbye. I highly recommend these shoes with the warning that the tongue can be a bit annoying.

Similar Products Used: Shimano M-110
bob   [Feb 17, 2003]
Strength:

super stiff & light

velcro straps

On the bike they are very comfortable kinda like a running shoe. The carbon I-beam has outstanding power transfer from your foot to the pedal. at first when I put them on I did not like them at all! They are very uncomfortable for walking but after I went out on the bike, I changed my mind about just how good they feel when I am riding. The only thing that I would change is the velcro straps, very good shoe. Value is not that great.

James Matthews   Racer [Apr 13, 2003]
Strength:

Stiff sole for power transfer
Light weight

The sole pulled loose from the shoe at the heel
The body of the shoes cannot be cleaned very well, as the nylon material hangs on to dirt.
There is no tongue on the shoe and it took several weeks and very sore ankle tendons to break in the shoes around the ankle

The soles were great to ride in as they were stiff, but not great to walk or run in if you couldn't clear a section. Maybe the sole pulled away from the body of the shoe because the soles were too stiff.
I elected not to get another pair of PI's, but to go to Sidi Dominator 4's as I have worn Sidi's on the road for years.

Similar Products Used: Northwave comp act
Specialized team
jaco   Cross Country Rider [Jan 07, 2004]
Strength:

stiff sole

quality, soles came off pretty early on but ik have kept super-glueing them back together..half dozen times already. not the best fit since these dont come in half sizes

i was an ass to review these without proper testing, specially now when these are ripped to shreds. not worth the money. i did get the chance to have them replaced by PI but being in south america made this quite difficult. im gonna try shimano now. i still think the best shoe for the money is specialized but their somewhat recent body geometry is painful.

Similar Products Used: specialized
Cory   [Oct 23, 2003]
Strength:

Great Looks. Super Stiff. 3 strap Velcro. Great Fit. Ultra comfortable - now.

Old model: tongue cut into fron tof ankle. carbon sole serparated from front half. cleats on bottom too narrow for ATAC pedals.
New Model: cleats too narrow for ATAC pedals, requires a little cutting.

I originally had the gray version that first came out last year. I liked how they felt on my feet, overall, how they looked and they were SUPER stiff. My only real complaint on these were the sharp edge on the tongue that would dig into the front of my ankle, especially when climbing. For about the first 10-12 rides, it would kill me. I was almost going to sell them until they got borken in. After my last race, i noticed that the front of the sole has separated from the upper fabric.
I called PI customer service and they told me to send them into warranty. Within a week, a BRAND NEW pair of shoes arrived at my house and these things are SWEET!!!!

Black and white coloring rocks. The tongue part that hurt has been modified with some neoprene. These new babies were PERFECT from the second i put them on my feet. Super comfortable on my feet and the eyes. Fit like a glove. And with Pearl's customer service, i am sticking with these shoes for a LONG, LONG time.
No questions asked despite the obvious abuse i had put the shoes through.

I would give the Grey shoes only 2 or 3 flaming piles of poo, but PI customer service along with the new shoes means i have to go with about 8 piles!

Similar Products Used: Specialized, Sidi
Merlin Man   Weekend Warrior [Oct 10, 2002]
Strength:

Stiffness, Comfort

I had always been a Sidi fan until I tried the Vapor’s. I have a wide foot and I find these shoes incredibly comfortable. The triple closure secures very well and the carbon sole is extremely stiff. If anything they are too stiff for MTB’n in the event you need to hike a bit (but only weenies ever walk, right?). I was worried how the texturized sole would hold up but after about 2K miles they seemed to be faring well. As other riders mentioned you do have to trim them down a bit for egg beaters. The look of the shoe has something to be desired as they definitely look different from the standard shoes and a few people have told me they wouldn’t buy anything that look the Vapor’s. I have found that the material does breathe very well and the side and toe guards do provide protection when brushing up against rocks. 5 flamers!

Similar Products Used: Sidi
Lindsay Drangeid   [Aug 03, 2002]
Strength:

Good fit, light weight, available toe cleats, stiff sole.

Needed to grind off some of sole tread in order to function with Egg Beater pedals - this is not uncommon for most shoe with these pedals, as they have a very small cleat-to-spindle distance.

Great shoe - adjusts to foot well, and is less expensive than most everything else that it competes with.

Similar Products Used: 10-year-old Shimano M-110 mtn shoe
3-year-old Specialized Comp mtn shoe
10-year-old Shimano nylon-sole road shoes
3-year old Lake CX-300 road shoes
timothy young   Weekend Warrior [Dec 28, 2004]
Strength:

hasn't anybody tried the PI Viper mtb with the windup pully lace system ? Neoprene body is nice on cold days -Carbon fbr sole gives good foot deck -My friends say they look cool -they feel pretty good on road & trail.

The pulley lace up system lasted 16 rides or so & then broke inside a neoprene winter booty.One plastic lace to break & you're without shoes till they get around to fixin' em.

I'm a sucker for the next techy gimmick & these viper side pully things were on sale & in summer we wear alot of neoprene suits etc. for watersports & wet/winter weather etc.So these things wern't much of a stretch. For cool fall riding the're OK . The shimano pedal plates are recessed into the sole & pretty hard to click into in a hurry compared to other makes I've worn out through the years. Since I like to wear same shoes for road & trails (sooner or later you'll Hikeabike a mile or 2)I do stess my equipment to the max. Anyway from Sept to Xmas they were hassle free then on my 2nd ride of xmas vacation early snow this year around southern Ont. The pully ratchet & single lace let go- cut through I think - & its back to the shop they go . Exactly as I had feared as I lay down my C.Card @ purchase time. These shoes aren't listed here yet but I had to vent since I'm riding my computer till my shoes get back. OH Ya Pearl Izumi in canada is closed till after next week for the holidays . I wonder who gets stuck with the shipping costs??.

Similar Products Used: Shimano lake etc. I'm on my 5th pair of shoes.
Mikey Likes It   Cross Country Rider [Aug 12, 2002]
Strength:

Strong, light, carbon fiber lower, removable cleats, and super-wide for very wide-footed chaps like me.

Butt ugly. Okay, maybe that isn't a weakness, but these are the ugliest shoes I have seen yet.

I had to post a review, even though I have had these for less than 1 month, due to the review below regarding a low rating because they are wide. Why on earth did you buy a shoe that didn't fit? Is that a fault of the shoe? Nice thing about PI shoes is they are built on an american shoe lath, meaning they are apt to fit our feet better than those ultra-narrow italian laths. But if your feet are narrow, there are great options out there for the money. You can even spend less. Sounds like the fault was yours, not the shoes.

ONWARD:

I had a hard time finding shoes that fit, the Mega 4 came close but wasn't very comfy either. The Pearl Izumi Vaper went on easy, rides easy, fits perfectly, and is strong and secure. The ventilation is great, although it might be an issue in the winter. If so, hey I have those little PI bootie thingys too. Having shoes that fit right is paramount - having them be comfortable and strong is a bonus. To be honest, I totally forget about them when they are on, but I ride longer and harder than ever.

I think they are a Class A shoe all the way - the best I have owned (or due to fitting reasons, tried on). I think they are overpriced (minus 1 chili), and deserve an extra chili for fitting my wide feet (to counteract the minus chili from the guy who bought shoes that don't fit).