Pearl Izumi Vagabond M4 Shoes

Pearl Izumi Vagabond M4 Mountain Cycling Shoe is ideal for any entry level to medium rider. A performance-oriented mountain biking shoe that can also be used in a Spin class. Three velcro straps provide a snug custom fit to the foot. Black/Silver color

Rob   Weekend Warrior [Sep 02, 2007]
Strength:

Good fit, very comfy (i have BAD feet) lightweight, sole is very rigid but has great traction; good value for the price (on sale at REI). I use them on both, my mountain bike and my road bike. If you want a good shoe without spending a bundle this is good choice.

Some platform pedals may not work too well with this shoe (i have pedals with platform on one side and SPD ont the other)

Very good shoe for the money (retails for $80) If you have problem feet this shoe may work for you, comfortable and roomy.

Similar Products Used: SIDI, LAKE, SHIMANO
Paul   Weekend Warrior [Jun 25, 2007]
Strength:

Comfy, good price, easy to use, easy to clean, lifetime warranty

They soak up water

Very comfy fit for my wide feet. Velco straps provide easy adjustment. In the rain they soaked up water. I expect they'd be quite breathable in hot weather.

Similar Products Used: None
Chris   [Mar 26, 2008]
Strength:

Solid, firm, comfortable, breathes very well-can walk in them despite them being "race" shoes.

feet get very wet when river crossing- cleat placement was a little far back from the balls of my feet

Good quality shoes that breathe well and are incredibly comfortable. i walked 15kms in them up a rocky mountain trail-a walking trail and had very little problems with them. good value for money-at rrp

Similar Products Used: None-my 1st pair of cleated shoes
Raymond   Cross Country Rider [Jan 31, 2008]
Strength:

Number one strength is price! Best value of any shoe I looked at, and now that I have ridden on them for about 6 months, I am sold completly on "clipping in". The sole is very rigid which seems to help transfer your energy to the pedals. They fit well, and are comfortable enough for a 70 mile mountain bike marathon (South Texas Death Ride).

On the right shoe, I can feel the cleat pressing up through the sole. The same shoe developed a clicking sound when I walk no matter how tight I make the cleat.

The shoe cannot be beat for the price. I wonder if I had spent more if I would have the problems that I have with the right shoe, (see weaknesses above) but those problems don't out-weigh the benefits --- to me. This is absolutely the shoe to buy for your first pair of clipless pedals, no doubt. Find them on sale in the fifty dollar range though, 'cause at $80.00 I think there may be better choices.

Similar Products Used: These are the first clipless shoes I have owned.
Avi   Cross Country Rider [Nov 05, 2007]
Strength:

Very Stiff.
Very Comfortable.
Only one comfortable for my wide feet.
Very Stylish.

None so far...

This being my first set of cleat shoes, I have a very limited view of how they compare to others.

As for getting them, they were more comfortable for my wide feet than any of the other shoes I tried, even the ones that were in "wide" sizes.

They totally transformed my level of biking skill. I can go exponentially farther and faster with these with less effort than before. It's truly amazing. Can't beat them for the value. If you need some shoes that are a great value and are also very cool looking, these are for you.

Will post more later after more riding.

Similar Products Used: Mesh shoes I used with platforms.